4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Air Silencer

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 07:51 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Air Silencer

well dudes I took off my silencer today! It was awesome! haha not really. was simple, and now I get a little more intake noise at 2000-4000 rpm and otherwise sounds the same. Seems to have A LITTLE MORE pep. worth it though for $0
Old 05-13-2006, 02:36 PM
matt123
1st Gear Member

Does the removal of this air slencer go for my 03 gt as well? Any other free mods I can do under the hood?
Old 05-13-2006, 02:38 PM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: matt123

Does the removal of this air slencer go for my 03 gt as well? Any other free mods I can do under the hood?
Yes it works...there is a link to the how-to in the tech sticky at the top of the forum. I don't know about any other free mods though.
Old 05-13-2006, 03:22 PM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

I honestly don't know why you guys take that air silencer off cuz the stock setup is a cold air intake. If you take the air silencer off it will no longer be. Duh. If you ever saw dyno numbers that it makes more hp they had the hood open anyway. If you take it off you will be pulling air from the engine compartment that is going to be a higher temp. This in my opinion is not the way to make any power. If anything it will make less power.
Old 05-13-2006, 03:31 PM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Voodoo

I honestly don't know why you guys take that air silencer off cuz the stock setup is a cold air intake. If you take the air silencer off it will no longer be. Duh. If you ever saw dyno numbers that it makes more hp they had the hood open anyway. If you take it off you will be pulling air from the engine compartment that is going to be a higher temp. This in my opinion is not the way to make any power. If anything it will make less power.
I've used this analogy before when someone tried to say this...

Imagine you just got done running a race and you're breathing very heavily. It is hot outside. Now would you rather breathe through a small straw that was bringing in cool air...or would you rather be able to breathe in lots of air, even though it's hot. The opening on the silencer is small, its like breathing through a straw...
Old 05-13-2006, 03:37 PM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SOHCtimes2

Imagine you just got done running a race and you're breathing very heavily. It is hot outside. Now would you rather breathe through a small straw that was bringing in cool air...or would you rather be able to breathe in lots of air, even though it's hot. The opening on the silencer is small, its like breathing through a straw...
I respectfully disagree. That hole in the silencer is like 3"-4" in diameter. This is taken from the Kenne gods site.

COOLAIR KITS - Like meters or throttle bodies, the best product is the one that registers "0" restriction for the particular application.
Equally important is it cannot be exposed to hot underhood air. When will everyone get this right?A10° increase in inlet temperature will
reduce power 1%. It can be 200° under the hood vs. 70° in the fenderwell. Do the math.
http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/fo...gtTechTips.pdf

Old 05-13-2006, 03:41 PM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SOHCtimes2

I respectfully diagree. That hole in the silencer is like 3" in diameter. This is taken from the Kenne gods site.

COOLAIR KITS - Like meters or throttle bodies, the best product is the one that registers "0" restriction for the particular application.
Equally important is it cannot be exposed to hot underhood air. When will everyone get this right?A10° increase in inlet temperature will
reduce power 1%. It can be 200° under the hood vs. 70° in the fenderwell. Do the math.
http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/fo...gtTechTips.pdf

Comparing a boosted car to a non boosted car doesn't really work...besides Kenne Bell says alot of BS in their tech ****. Like headers don't gain any significant HP on the 2v GTs...funny how lots of people have gained like 15rwhp from headers...

MM&FF tested removing the silencer and gained 4HP and an average of 1.5HP and like 2TQ across the entire RPM range...they performed all the tests with the temp in the engine bay at 170degrees. I'll find the link for you if you'd like.

Found the link.
Old 05-13-2006, 03:47 PM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

Well I guess if they had the hood closed and gained 1.5hp. Hmmm I don't want to argue but I don't believe in doing it. A nicer cold air inlet pipe would be my choice but I wouldn't even do that. Call me crazy I guess.
Old 05-13-2006, 03:55 PM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

I thought you guys were taking that whole platsic piece off the air filter. That's what I saw some guys doing. I guess if you just took the rubber out or cut it so the whole wasn't so small it would work as long as you were still gettig cool air from the fender.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:54 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

exactly. That pop parts off in a few seconds. that's what I did and if you look the air it pulls in still comes from the fender well!

Also, DO NOT REMOVE the screen from the MAF! The stock MAF is tuned to have that screen there. That screen smooths out the air flow over the sensor to give the computer a consistant signal. Aftermarket ones are tuned to not have the screen, so removing the stock screen is a waste of time.

Quick Reply: Air Silencer