MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   another exhaust thread, easier to answer. (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/122792-another-exhaust-thread-easier-to-answer.html)

03redGT 05-01-2006 06:39 PM

another exhaust thread, easier to answer.

so this shouldnt have personal preference in it. lol

i love the way my car sounds stock, but its not loud enough. how can i keep the same tone, but make it slightly louder??? any help whatsoever is appreciated.

MustangChris04 05-01-2006 06:40 PM

RE: another exhaust thread, easier to answer.

take the cats off to make it louder, but if i were you I would get lt headers, h pipe, and exhaust. without cats.

03redGT 05-01-2006 06:43 PM

i dont want to go catless tho, due to vehicle standars being strict. who makes a catted H?

Deannostang 05-01-2006 06:47 PM

Go online to many of the custom exhaust manufacturer's websites and listen to sound bites of their various systems. If all you want is roughly the same tone only louder, get a catted X-pipe and splice it into your stock cat back system. It definitely will make a difference. Other choice is install some sort of headers to you engine which will make it breathe easier and give you a bit louder, throater sounding system. Otherwise, simply get a catback system of your choice to give you a lower rumble all the way around. I do suggest you first bounce around and listen to many of the available sound bites of custom systems to help you make some sort of choice of your own. Magnaflow has many sound bites as well as Pypes. Check out Flowmaster and Borla also. Good luck with your ride!

72MachOne99GT 05-01-2006 07:02 PM

it'd be more productive to get a full system, however,,

alot of people cant justify 350-600 dollars for 5-6 hp and some sound

i suggest an aftermarket midpipe back into the stock mufflers

03redGT 05-01-2006 07:04 PM

ORIGINAL: 72MachOne99GT

it'd be more productive to get a full system, however,,

alot of people cant justify 350-600 dollars for 5-6 hp and some sound

i suggest an aftermarket midpipe back into the stock mufflers
but will there be fitment issues?

blk40th 05-01-2006 07:06 PM

not with most. they are just about all made to fit up to all the factory specs.

03redGT 05-01-2006 07:08 PM

sweet thanks, ill start looking.

72MachOne99GT 05-01-2006 07:09 PM

yea, like blk said,,

if you can fit the stock midpipe to the aftermarket pipes, there should be no problems with an aftermarket midpipe to the stock mufflers

however, i didnt do it, so i would wait 'till someone who HAS done it to chime in and confirm..

Secondly, since you have to cut the stock exhaust when removing it, is there enough room to disconnect the stock mufflers, and pull out the midpipe and then reconnect it all?

after you get those two uncertanties figured out, go for it if you like the stock note, i liked it, but knew there were soo many that were better :)

blk40th 05-01-2006 07:20 PM

sorry i shouldve included all my testing. i started with the h-pipe on stock mufflers. it works the flanges fit fine. the only thing was the way the power felt. the stock mufflers are very restrictive and very heavy. theres really no way to save it unless you were to drop the rear. i just cut mine with a sawzall because it was stainless steel. i do all my own work on the ground with a jack so you wouldnt need a lift to do it.