4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

160 or 180 thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 11:32 PM
Valek
3rd Gear Member

Default 160 or 180 thermostat

Which one should I get?
Old 05-01-2006, 11:34 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: 160 or 180 thermostat

180. You probly have to order one though. They have them at www.summittracing.com
Old 05-01-2006, 11:54 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

Thermostat housing gets bolted back on at 14-18lbs of tq. i cracked mine by going too far, god im a loser, lol. im dealing with the consequences now...yeah i feel like telling a long story since im waiting for my temp fix to do its fixing.

first off i over torqued, not too hard to do, when it comes to bolting a metal housing to a plastic intake, and made a hairline crack by the right bolt, from the inside of the intake, going up towards the bolt.

barely leaked, maybe a teaspoon a day, lol maybe 2 or 3, but seriously no more, didnt even need more than a cup of antifreeze after 2 months

then i got stupid and tried to use 2 o rings, one inside the intake, one on the thermostat housing, BAAAD.

k so at first it appeared spiffy, not a leak, then, the next day (today), i crack open the hood, notice i need a LOT of antifreeze, and then i noticed a grip of coolant in around the block, just chillin like its tryin to keep the engine cool from the outside. so i lifted up the car with a jack, 3 ft in the air, and i tell you so much coolant hit the floor, i didnt think it was gonna stop till my engine/radiator was empty, thats how much was sitting on my block.

well i seriously dont wanna spend nearly 1000$ on another shatty plastic intake, so im tryin anything to minimize this leak, to at least how it was orginally, i can live with that till i can afford a nice intake, a metal one to bolt my metal botls into.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:58 PM
Niteryder
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ackuric

Thermostat housing gets bolted back on at 14-18lbs of tq. i cracked mine by going too far, god im a loser, lol. im dealing with the consequences now...yeah i feel like telling a long story since im waiting for my temp fix to do its fixing.

first off i over torqued, not too hard to do, when it comes to bolting a metal housing to a plastic intake, and made a hairline crack by the right bolt, from the inside of the intake, going up towards the bolt.

barely leaked, maybe a teaspoon a day, lol maybe 2 or 3, but seriously no more, didnt even need more than a cup of antifreeze after 2 months

then i got stupid and tried to use 2 o rings, one inside the intake, one on the thermostat housing, BAAAD.

k so at first it appeared spiffy, not a leak, then, the next day (today), i crack open the hood, notice i need a LOT of antifreeze, and then i noticed a grip of coolant in around the block, just chillin like its tryin to keep the engine cool from the outside. so i lifted up the car with a jack, 3 ft in the air, and i tell you so much coolant hit the floor, i didnt think it was gonna stop till my engine/radiator was empty, thats how much was sitting on my block.

well i seriously dont wanna spend nearly 1000$ on another shatty plastic intake, so im tryin anything to minimize this leak, to at least how it was orginally, i can live with that till i can afford a nice intake, a metal one to bolt my metal botls into.
Macgyver told me once you could use an egg to fix the coolant leak.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:05 AM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

did i just read in a post you said you had 13 yrs experience as a mechanic? hmfp.

or are you dead serious, cause that would be HILARIOUS. i know there are products out there for radiator stop leak, but that stuff blows big monkey *****.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:06 AM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

ok i put thought into it and laughed, man my car would spit egg out everywhere if i tried that, lmao.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:09 AM
BBond007
2nd Gear Member

180 for a daily driver.

Unless you have a tuner and can set the fans, it won't make much of a difference anyway(over stock) in a hot climate.

Even if it did, prolonged running at 160 will be bad for gas mileage and could lead to carbon buildup and could also be bad for the cats.

For me the benefit if the 180 is running a bit cooler on the HW. I live in Miami though...

I'm looking into getting a Lincoln Mark VIII fan now.

Old 05-02-2006, 12:58 AM
LilGuysWearBowTies
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ackuric

Umm. Maybe try grinding the crack out just a little bigger and filling it with JB weld. or some other epoxy.

Old 05-02-2006, 02:20 AM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

i run 160... i think im gonna put the stocker back in for summer...
Old 05-02-2006, 02:37 AM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

ya i jacked this thread, uh huh

anyways lol, i used good old rv gasket maker between the intake and therm. housing, and wallah, coolant comes out between the washer and bolt, lmao, i cranked it another quater turn to see if it will help, other than that its ok with me, barely seeped out of the bolt, rofl, how funny is that. i bet if i re did it again and sealed up the bolts too i'd be set, but bah, i'll call it my custom pressure relief system.