TB Plenum vs UD pulleys - Page 3 - MustangForums.com

Notices
4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

TB Plenum vs UD pulleys

Old 05-02-2006, 10:52 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

Default RE: First Mod?

a dyno tune is different from just the tuner.

you just won't get that much power from one of the generic or mail order tunes for $400 + higher octane gas prices. maybe 5hp?

I got my xcal 2 for the auto tranny firming, I didn't notice a lot from the tune in terms of the power it produced. i ran the stock tune and the 91 octane tune with the smae tranny settings and I didn't notice a huge difference.

I didn't mean to make it sound like it was completely worthless, I just think it would be a horrible way to spend money as a first mod.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:00 PM
Quickshift_02GT
4th Gear Member

Ah, I suppose that makes sense. I wasn't attempting to throw your comments away, it was more for my own education since I had just purchased my tuner yesterday afternoon.

So with what you had said in mind...
They showed me the book from SCT and of course it had listed all of their claims, with the new edge stangs on a stock car being 14HP or so at the wheels. I understand that could be a high figure, and I took that with a grain of salt anyway. The deal they gave me was $379 for the tuner, and then they gave me 3 tunes for $35. In those tunes, was a regular tune for 87/89 octane since that's what I was already using in the tank. They also included a high octane 92 tune, which I will begin using after I clear the system of regular and have a couple refills of 92. The third was a valet tune because I'm a paranoid freak when it comes to anyone touching my vehicle.

The tunes they gave me were from cars they had tested themselves, repeatedly. They took a list of cars that they had tuned over the years and then found one that had good gains with mods that matched mine. They did that for both of the tunes. I haven't had it dyno'd yet, nor did I even have a baseline done beforehand. I drove it home yesterday and could feel a little difference in throttle response and pickup, but I couldn't really get on it much since I was cutting through town and heading straight home. And that was with the regular octane tune too. I'm hoping it had made a good difference (14rhwp is good enough for me), but I have no experience with tuners besides this and reading everyone elses responses that have been well documented at Modular Powerhouse. I also bought the tuner for the Valet mode, turning off traction control, and for the speedomoter recalibration when I get the gears done next. I'm hoping I netted 14HP+ at the wheels with my current mods when I start using the 92octane tune.

Anyway, curious on your thoughts with my particular situation.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:38 PM
03redGT
3rd Gear Member

thanks GTnAZ i really appreciate it. for whoever said get a midpipe i said 200 bucks to burn not 400. WTG I have an Auto trans like i said initially
Old 05-03-2006, 12:33 AM
ooticamitica
4th Gear Member

Hard call save your money and do full intake than exhaust
Old 05-03-2006, 12:45 AM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 03redGT

thanks GTnAZ i really appreciate it. for whoever said get a midpipe i said 200 bucks to burn not 400. WTG I have an Auto trans like i said initially
redass suggested an O/R midpipe I believe...and that would be super cheap, under 200 for sure. But that's only if you can get away with an O/R pipe...I really wish I could have got one, but I want to keep myself out of trouble. lol
Old 05-03-2006, 02:56 AM
03redGT
3rd Gear Member

yeah, i need the cats. sorry i didnt mention. [:@] stupid laws
Old 05-03-2006, 04:05 AM
yoteehunter
3rd Gear Member

200.00$
Get a professional products plenum. And this cold air kit you will get the most bang for the buck this way. This will actually make some good power for what it is.
http://www.rpmoutlet.com/newv8cm.htm
plenum 109.00$
http://www.mustangtuning.com/mugtv8pocoai.html
This is close enough to $200.00 Best of all you will notice better milage and power!
Then when you scrape up a bit more get a 75mm T-body and you will have totaly completed the intake upgrade!
Old 05-03-2006, 04:08 AM
yoteehunter
3rd Gear Member

Crap do you have a k&N if so skip the air kit and get a t-body to match the plenum!!!!!!
Old 05-03-2006, 04:11 AM
03sonicgt
5th Gear Member

Steeda Underdrive pullies.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:16 AM
Hyper00
3rd Gear Member

Save for a 5-speed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TB Plenum vs UD pulleys

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.