4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

what would you recomend engine swap or rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 05:20 AM
jelam
2nd Gear Member

Default what would you recomend engine swap or rebuild

I was reading a old issue of mm&ff about crate engines so I have a question. Everyone here says sale your gt and buy a 03 cobra. Since I don't wanna spend every last dime I make on car payments and insurence which one of this would be better. Do a engine swap and put in a 4.6l 4v engine by fordraceingparts.com (says direct replacement for the 03 mach 1) with a tranny swap and a KB twinscrew. Or rebuild my engine with forgered internals. and use the rest of my money on the mods in my sig (which will total more than what i have). I should have between 10k-15k by the time I get home.

Also if I do the engine swap what all would I need to replace?
Old 05-04-2006, 10:33 AM
jelam
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: what would you recomend engine swap or rebuild

anyone have anythoughts on this or am i on my own... or is it because of the time diffrece and know one is really on?
Old 05-04-2006, 10:39 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

you are not on your own. Most peeps are on their way to work. In an hour, I'll be on my way to school.

You have a lot of options.

If you are gonna swap in a 4V motor, it will fit no problem. You will need different exhaust, different ECU, different motor mounts... if you are putting in something that will be significantly more powerful than stock UPGRADE THE TRANS... the T45 is great for stock/lightly modded but I have heard/seen so many guys having problems with heavily modded engines

If you chose to deck out the 2v motor (which is what i am gonna do when mine dies) you won't have to really change anything (cept maybe the tranny again if you build the crap out of it). You will just have to get a tuner. I would say forge the 2v and put that twin turbo on it. Or if you are ambitious... forge a 4V engine and put the TT on it.

Old 05-04-2006, 10:49 AM
jelam
2nd Gear Member

a new engine and a tt would be nice but i'm thankin out of my price range. as for the tranny it's gotta go along with the clutch and trowout bearing. I was to hard on it don't have 4th or reverse and the trowout bearing is going out (well thats what ive been told i dont know how to tell). Then again I only drove it about 5k miles if that so it might have been bad one i got it.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:51 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

well I'd say just spend the money on rebuilding your stock engine then if you are keeping it affordable. That's why that's my plan too. Throwout bearings either break or get noisy.

I'd say deck out that engine you have a and put in an upgraded trans, like a TKO500 or a T56.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:09 AM
blackbetty01
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: monkeydude3

well I'd say just spend the money on rebuilding your stock engine then if you are keeping it affordable. That's why that's my plan too. Throwout bearings either break or get noisy.

I'd say deck out that engine you have a and put in an upgraded trans, like a TKO500 or a T56.
Truthfully unless you can get a nice deal on a motor/drivetrain, I would say go the most affordable route. Rebuild the motor, forged internals with a nice Blower cam, put a blowzilla on there with a T56 tranny and I guarantee you power won't be an issue, no traction, but gobs of power.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:17 AM
jelam
2nd Gear Member

which one is the 6 speed tranny?
Old 05-04-2006, 11:31 AM
mattcooper2005
1st Gear Member

I think the T56.. But I get them mixed up a lot :P My friend is having a Built Engine put in his car with a new 6-speed tranny and the Blowzilla package from Kenne Belle.. They guy that is putting it in is guaranteeing him anywhere from 580 - 620 RWHP and when it goes on the dyno he will have the tests to prove it as well .. The guys said if it didn't make that much.. The cost to make it to that range would be free of charge.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:11 PM
bluepony4.6
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: monkeydude3

you are not on your own. Most peeps are on their way to work. In an hour, I'll be on my way to school.

You have a lot of options.

If you are gonna swap in a 4V motor, it will fit no problem. You will need different exhaust, different ECU, different motor mounts... if you are putting in something that will be significantly more powerful than stock UPGRADE THE TRANS... the T45 is great for stock/lightly modded but I have heard/seen so many guys having problems with heavily modded engines

If you chose to deck out the 2v motor (which is what i am gonna do when mine dies) you won't have to really change anything (cept maybe the tranny again if you build the crap out of it). You will just have to get a tuner. I would say forge the 2v and put that twin turbo on it. Or if you are ambitious... forge a 4V engine and put the TT on it.

Why would you need new motor mounts? Are you talking about the K member? If he is swapping engines the only part of the exhaust that he should have to change out is the mid-pipe. All of the rest of his exhaust should remain the same unless it's stock. Then he should consider upgrading the exhaust.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:23 PM
Acer2428
Site Mod

Forge the 2v + KB or TT.

T56 or tko600

Upgraded t-lock, 31 spline axles, suspension, brakes.

Good to go!

Quick Reply: what would you recomend engine swap or rebuild