4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What Supercharger should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 02:01 PM
greiz24
1st Gear Member

Default What Supercharger should I get?

I'm looking into getting a supercharger in the near future. Money is a factor, so I want the best bang for my buck. I still want to have great reliablity, decent gas mileage, and to try not to blow my motor at this point. So tell me what you guys think would be the best one to get.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:04 PM
Hoppers04Gt
4th Gear Member

Default RE: What Supercharger should I get?

Kenne Bell.....If you can pay for it
Old 05-05-2006, 09:05 PM
Stang9946
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: greiz24

I'm looking into getting a supercharger in the near future. Money is a factor, so I want the best bang for my buck. I still want to have great reliablity, decent gas mileage, and to try not to blow my motor at this point. So tell me what you guys think would be the best one to get.
That rules out Roush. Personally, i'd say Procharger. Afterall that's the S/C that's on the fastest pump gas car in the world.. 8.xx something. I believe 8.66 eta
Old 05-05-2006, 09:13 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

I don't want to come off sounding like a dick, but if Money, reliability and decent gas mileage are a factor, why are you even considering a S/C?? 8.5lbs of boost = great for engine internal reliabilty. S/C = 91 or better Octane = $$$$.
S/C @ 8.5 lbs of boost on 91 Octane = $$$$$$

If it's what you want, then go ahead and get it.. But it'd be smarter to just save up, do some more research, and build the right set up for your desires...

JT
Old 05-05-2006, 09:19 PM
avlon06
5th Gear Member

so any s/c you get you have to use 91 octane
Old 05-05-2006, 09:23 PM
Stang9946
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GodAmGT00

I don't want to come off sounding like a dick, but if Money, reliability and decent gas mileage are a factor, why are you even considering a S/C?? 8.5lbs of boost = great for engine internal reliabilty. S/C = 91 or better Octane = $$$$.
S/C @ 8.5 lbs of boost on 91 Octane = $$$$$$

If it's what you want, then go ahead and get it.. But it'd be smarter to just save up, do some more research, and build the right set up for your desires...

JT
Gas mileage should only really be effected @ WOT. Normal driving conditons shouldn't effect mileage.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:24 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

All of them, quint-charged ftw
Old 05-05-2006, 09:28 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: avlon06

so any s/c you get you have to use 91 octane

It doesn't have to be 91. I say that because the Cali guys don't normally get 93, do you?? You should tune and run your car on the highest octane available, for the best reliability, consistency, and performance... I don't want to get too scientific.. In fact, search the site, and you'll find out exactly why you want to run high octane. (pre-detonation, pinging, etc. are good search terms.)

ORIGINAL: Stang9946

Gas mileage should only really be effected @ WOT. Normal driving conditons shouldn't effect mileage.
True, and I understand exactly what you're saying, but the way I look at it is as such:

W/ out getting to "herbish," the majority of the guys asking questions on here are young, hormone filled guys.. The chances of MOST of them driving around town, w/ a S/C at just part-to-low throttle is very very small. In fact, even I (closer to their 30's) would have too much fun around town using more than 50% throttle... If you've got it, drive it...

But since it takes less effort/throttle to push the car the same speed, it may be a mute point, if they keep their RPM's a little lower...

JT
Old 05-05-2006, 09:32 PM
avlon06
5th Gear Member

that was a very good to the point statement! lol
Old 05-05-2006, 09:37 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

vortech

Quick Reply: What Supercharger should I get?