4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Turbo Setup

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 04:42 AM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

Default Turbo Setup

Ok, I was talking to a friend, and he told me a half-decent exhaust shop, could take my current headers off, and reverse them and re-weld the flanges to accomodate turbos... (incl all the custom piping etc). Is this possible? Im sure I can get this done for around $400, while a set of turbo headers cost somewhere around $900. And how does it work with my current exhaust, I know the exhaust muscle car sound will be diminished, but thats a trade for power; any one know more about this type of setup? Thanks
Old 05-06-2006, 01:10 PM
DILO2001GT
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Turbo Setup

post it in the pipes,boost, and juice section.

i would rather go with a known to work turbo header but if its a well respected shop and they can custom fab their own work and make a nice product for you i can't see why not. though they may be able to make headers you should make sure they also understand turbos and turbo headers. check with them the sizes they would do and how good the quality it would be. s/s, ceramic coated? things like that.
Old 05-06-2006, 01:30 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

thats what most setups ive seen do, they use the stock manifold and use that for the turbo header.
Old 05-06-2006, 02:06 PM
HaV
5th Gear Member

Yeah I have actualy see quite a few companies do the same thing.. just use the stock manifolds or aftermarket headers.. infact I saw a camaro at a car show that had a rear mounted turbo.. was the weirdest thing.. but apparently its a LOT easier to fabricate and you dont have the heat from it inside/near your engine bay.
Old 05-06-2006, 02:09 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HaV

Yeah I have actualy see quite a few companies do the same thing.. just use the stock manifolds or aftermarket headers.. infact I saw a camaro at a car show that had a rear mounted turbo.. was the weirdest thing.. but apparently its a LOT easier to fabricate and you dont have the heat from it inside/near your engine bay.
sts sytem
Old 05-06-2006, 02:13 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dlazrael

Ok, I was talking to a friend, and he told me a half-decent exhaust shop, could take my current headers off, and reverse them and re-weld the flanges to accomodate turbos... (incl all the custom piping etc). Is this possible? Im sure I can get this done for around $400, while a set of turbo headers cost somewhere around $900. And how does it work with my current exhaust, I know the exhaust muscle car sound will be diminished, but thats a trade for power; any one know more about this type of setup? Thanks
I don't think you will get any sane exhaust shop to do it for 400 bucks. Not to metntion there is alot more to it. If it was this easy and cheap, everyone would be doing it...
Old 05-06-2006, 05:49 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

You are going to need more tubung just like your headers...1 5/8 or 1 1/2?
They should be able to bend them enough to mold the turbo on. There might be several welds
in the bends of the exhaust,wich does reduce a fraction of power(nothing noticable) more or less
it's not a perfect look. Again like U said sacrifice something for power
Old 05-06-2006, 08:41 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: wwmost

ORIGINAL: HaV

sts sytem
I am familair with that system and know a few people who have it, lets just say they are less than happy with it.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:48 AM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

Im trying to get a total figure. If I can get the entire twin turbo for less than $5,000 then I'm going to do TT, If not, I'm gonna bump to a p-1ds-1 procharger :-p
Old 05-08-2006, 11:32 AM
Otis249

I dont think there would be any issues with that as far as the headers and exhaust, but someone will need to fab the intake tubing,intercooler, wastegate, oiling lines, and update the fuel syteme and the computer tuning.

By the way, if you decide to do it, make sure to take pictures and let me know what you ended up with. Im considering a turbo SOHC for my next project.

Quick Reply: Turbo Setup