4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Ticking noise =(

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 06:02 PM
Mt Twigbert
4th Gear Member

Default Ticking noise =(

I was bored today so I threw on the old rubber and did a two pretty good burn outs.. Both times I started in first gear and went into second.. I kept the motor at about 5-6 grand and held it for a few seconds..

Well now I have a 'tick' coming from the motor.. Well at least I think it is.. If I had to guess I'd say its coming from the passenger side.. Maybe a lifter or a valve? Hell I dunno.. And I can't imagine you guys can tell me w/o hearing or taking a look at it..

Just another thing to fix that costs more money.. [sm=smiley19.gif]

I could only fit one of the burnies in my sig.. So enjoy it cuz I might have broke something doing it..
Old 05-06-2006, 06:08 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Ticking noise =(

Your probably being over cautious, sure it's not your injectors pumping.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:12 PM
Mt Twigbert
4th Gear Member

I dunno.. When I got home I shut it off to wash and wax it.. When I started it up the noise wasn't there.. I took it for a short drive and when I got home it was there.. Seems like it might only do it when its warm.. I'm just a freak.. This car is my baby and I hate to tear it up.. Know what I mean?

I'm gonna let it sit for a few hours and go back out.. See its there again..

My link in my sig is having issues so just click below:

Burn out 1
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/3...92F0CC443F.htm

Burn out 2
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/B...BDA24D60BA.htm
Old 05-06-2006, 06:58 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

is it ticking when the car is off or when idling?
Old 05-06-2006, 07:22 PM
Mt Twigbert
4th Gear Member

Idling.. I just took it for another drive and at first I heard nothing.. I got back home and its there.. I poped the hood and its coming from the passenger side of the motor.. I don't think its the belt.. Sounds like its coming from the valve cover.. I feel depressed now.. Guess the car is garaged for two weeks till it goes in for the 4.10s, SCT tuner and dyno.. I'll have them take a look at it..
Old 05-06-2006, 07:26 PM
Rench
1st Gear Member

Exhaust leak?
Old 05-06-2006, 07:36 PM
BCisme
5th Gear Member

dies the ticking pick up when your rpms increase? you may have a spun bearing or a bent rod.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:40 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

i sure hope its your injectors clicking, they are loud. if its only at idle i wouldnt worry, if i had a tick that increased w/ rpms, i would have concern.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:58 PM
Mt Twigbert
4th Gear Member

Ok, heres the scoop..

I started it up after it sat for about 30 min and I heard nothing.. I let it run w/ the hood up and me standing there listening.. After about 4 min I start to hear tap, tap, tap.. It doesn't seem consistant.. More like it comes and goes.. At first.. After playing with the throtle cable it sounds like it does increase as I give it a little gas.. Although, its very hard to hear the once I give it gas.. I was thinking it might be a pulley but after I burnt my freaking ear by sticking my head down next to the engine I now think its inside the valve cover.. Its not real loud but loud enough that I know it was never there before and something isn't right..

Gawd that suxors! I've seen Cobras beat way harder than what I did and they took it.. Hell, they are supposed to take it.. The car only has 9,000 miles on it.. Thats crap if something broke already from making a little smoke!

Well if something like a rod is bent then I'll just have to get it fixed.. And while its tore apart I'll add bigger and better parts.. It makes me sick to think that way but oh well.. Chit happens I guess.. [sm=headbang.gif]
Old 05-06-2006, 09:56 PM
BCisme
5th Gear Member

have you checked the oil? drive it and see if it makes the noise with the engine speed under gradual acceleration.

Quick Reply: Ticking noise =(