4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

did a little research on the turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 02:35 AM
MustangGTftw
2nd Gear Member

Default did a little research on the turbo

So would 4.10 gears not be good for a turbo to spool up? From what i read, gears such as the stock 3.27 ot 3.55 r betetr because they will produce more exhaust because of a heavier load for the car to push at higher speeds(Or sumthin like that lol)
Old 05-07-2006, 02:55 AM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Default RE: did a little research on the turbo

The common perception is that you will never get the power to the wheels with such a high gear. You will basically spin the tires, thats why most recommend 3.73's with F/I .... Ive heard that 3.90's are the perfect setup for F/I though.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:50 AM
sk8erdudex
2nd Gear Member

it's all speculation I've heard both ways. But mostly I've heard to go with 3.73's or 3.55's
Old 05-07-2006, 01:10 PM
FoxRod
4th Gear Member

Ok don't mean to jump in the 4.6 thread but why would you want high gear ratio's. That means you go through the gears faster. When your on a turbo'd car why wouldn't you want to prolong every gear as long as you could. Whats the point of boost if your only gonna use it for a split second and then have to shift. Maybe for a roots type blower that's fine because they get the instantaneous power but for something that has lag, i.e. turbos or centrifugal superchargers where once the throttle body closes you release the boost to atmosphere and have more lag everytime you shift. You want lower gears so you can actually stay in boost for as long as possible. That's why turbo cams give you a higher and wider power band. The absolute highest gear I would go in a turbo'd car is 3.23's. 2.73 or 3.08 are optimum. If high gears were better why would things like Supras and Cobras come with lower, longer gearing not to mention 6-speeds.

I understand that some of the top fuel and funny cars and things like that (race only cars) have high gears but then again they are not street driven and have sooooo much torque by the engine itself not to mention they spray through the gears to spool the turbos instantly. If it's a street driven car you want lower gearing.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:12 PM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: meebix

The common perception is that you will never get the power to the wheels with such a high gear. You will basically spin the tires, thats why most recommend 3.73's with F/I .... Ive heard that 3.90's are the perfect setup for F/I though.

well... ive got 3.73's and if i down it to 2nd at 35ish... i will be spinning everywhere possible... i cannot hook up untill mid 3rd gear (which i dont have working anymore, haha.)

dont go over 3.90's with F/I... im very tempted to make the jump to 3.90's too cause you can feel it with DR's. haha.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:14 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

a s/c car and a turbo car is totally different when it comes to gearing. a lower gear with a turbo car is a no no. by the time boost builds up you are gonna shift. thats why you need a taller gear soo boost kicks in and then you can go through that gear longer with boost rather then shifting and loosing the boost and have to built it again. if anything get a higher gear or just keep your stock ones.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:30 PM
FoxRod
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wwmost

a s/c car and a turbo car is totally different when it comes to gearing. a lower gear with a turbo car is a no no. by the time boost builds up you are gonna shift. thats why you need a taller gear soo boost kicks in and then you can go through that gear longer with boost rather then shifting and loosing the boost and have to built it again. if anything get a lower gear or just keep your stock ones.

That;s what I said. But you got a little mixed up. The lower the number the Longer the gear is. Like 3.08 is a longer gear than a 3.73 or 4.10. The higher the number the shorter or Taller the gear is. With boosted cars you want a lower gear ratio. Like 2.73 or 3.08
Old 05-07-2006, 04:35 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FoxRod

ORIGINAL: wwmost

a s/c car and a turbo car is totally different when it comes to gearing. a lower gear with a turbo car is a no no. by the time boost builds up you are gonna shift. thats why you need a taller gear soo boost kicks in and then you can go through that gear longer with boost rather then shifting and loosing the boost and have to built it again. if anything get a lower gear or just keep your stock ones.

That;s what I said. But you got a little mixed up. The lower the number the Longer the gear is. Like 3.08 is a longer gear than a 3.73 or 4.10. The higher the number the shorter or Taller the gear is. With boosted cars you want a lower gear ratio. Like 2.73 or 3.08
woops i said lower twice. got confused. i was thinkging about the numbers the second time i said it. not anough sleep i guess
Old 05-07-2006, 05:29 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

turbo cars like a load. Stick with the stock gear ratios until you get the turbo on, and then see if it needs more gear or not.