4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Exhaust Leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 10:10 PM
Elwood4u
1st Gear Member

Default Exhaust Leak

K i just put on my o/r x pipe and I have a couple exhaust leaks, is there anything that i can do myself to fix them? Or do i have to bring it to an exhaust shop?
Old 05-07-2006, 10:14 PM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Exhaust Leak

where are they comming from? commonly the passenger side header to midpipe flange leaks, just need a new gasket or tighten it up. also sometimes when moving your exhaust around you may pop off spot welds on your catback, you can use jb weld to stop those type of leaks (they are gaps that are a result of the clamp design). also just check over all your bolts make sure everything is tight.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:16 PM
mustangGTdude1031
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustang_montana

where are they comming from? commonly the passenger side header to midpipe flange leaks, just need a new gasket or tighten it up. also sometimes when moving your exhaust around you may pop off spot welds on your catback, you can use jb weld to stop those type of leaks (they are gaps that are a result of the clamp design). also just check over all your bolts make sure everything is tight.
Yup Yup. Couldnt of said it better myself.lol
Old 05-07-2006, 10:46 PM
Elwood4u
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustang_montana

Everything is tight, i just put the mid pipe on and there were 4 leaks, 2 coming from the header flange with brand new gaskets. And 2 where the midpipe bends down into the X.
Anything else?
Old 05-07-2006, 11:55 PM
0ur04GT

Make sure there is only one gasket on the pass. side. You will not get a good seal if there is 2 or any pieces of the old one there. If the leaks at the x are from the welds, I would have a shop reweld it. That would be cheap and a sure fix for those leaks.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:58 PM
Rusmisel01GT
5th Gear Member

When me and my freind hooked up his exaust we misthreaded 1 bolt and it was just enough to give it a leak, i would make sure you didnt misthread any bolts. But thats all i can think of.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:32 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

just crank everything down tight. When I bolted my stock ([:@][:@][:@]) midpipe back in, the passenger side to the manifold leaked. Hence I left it on jack stands for this reason. Shut it off, i cranked down those two nuts and restarted, tada no leak!
Old 05-08-2006, 04:00 AM
JT76

I have two pretty bad exhaust leaks also. Where the midpipe meets the Catback on my SLP X/Borla combo. There is a clamp on each pipe where the X meets the CB. I have tightened them down as far as they can go and they still leak water at a pretty good rate, any advice
Old 05-08-2006, 04:13 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

well, un bolt them, then on the contacting surfaces put some of that exhaust muffler mender paste... it works almost like RTV and should seal it up fine. if you ever take it apart, it will just crumble off. I have used that before in cases like this and it has worked.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:30 AM
JT76

thanks man i will give it a try tomarrow, u can just pick this stuff up at like autozone right? whats the brand name of it?

Quick Reply: Exhaust Leak