4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

VT stage 1 cams

Old 05-08-2006, 03:35 AM
LvGordo
4th Gear Member

Default RE: VT stage 1 cams

ORIGINAL: Rusmisel01GT

If someone has there GT with stage 1 cams try to post a link so we can listen.... that cobra sounded sick!!!
i will try to get a clip and post tomorrow. My bassani is so quiet, you will probably have a hard time hearing it.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:31 AM
GSXRIntensity
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: straitwangin

i just wanted to know when ever you guys talk about puttin a cam in, everyone always says the idile is gonna be on the rough side, i just wanted to know does anyone else besides me like the sound of a afermarket cam. i think it sounds bad ***.
Nope..no cam lovers on this forum[>:]. I can't stand'em all loud shaking the house when I start the car up in the morning or come home late at night thanking God the neighbors love me. I can't stand the sound the makes at idle; sounding so terrible that my Mach 1000 doesn't get played nearing as loud anymore. I can't stand the noticeable idle [read: not rough]. You get a good tune, and there are ways to keep a smooth idle even with rather aggressive cams. It will 'not' be at all like stock, but it can surprise you. Oh, I can't stand the mass rwhp and rwft-lbs gained either. Nope, I am not a cam fan!
Old 05-08-2006, 04:34 AM
mean98svt
2nd Gear Member

i love my cams. they are loud but its not too bad. not as loud as a gixxer 1000. lol
Old 05-08-2006, 06:15 PM
bluepony4.6
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GSXRIntensity

ORIGINAL: straitwangin

i just wanted to know when ever you guys talk about puttin a cam in, everyone always says the idile is gonna be on the rough side, i just wanted to know does anyone else besides me like the sound of a afermarket cam. i think it sounds bad ***.
Nope..no cam lovers on this forum[>:]. I can't stand'em all loud shaking the house when I start the car up in the morning or come home late at night thanking God the neighbors love me. I can't stand the sound the makes at idle; sounding so terrible that my Mach 1000 doesn't get played nearing as loud anymore. I can't stand the noticeable idle [read: not rough]. You get a good tune, and there are ways to keep a smooth idle even with rather aggressive cams. It will 'not' be at all like stock, but it can surprise you. Oh, I can't stand the mass rwhp and rwft-lbs gained either. Nope, I am not a cam fan!
You're sick man!!!
Old 05-08-2006, 07:43 PM
luckymckay21
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LvGordo

i did vt stage 1s. I wanted 2s but talking alot more $$ with springs and install. They sound ok but not nearly like the 2s. I think the 1s on a stock bottom end are the way to go, you can use all teh power of the cams in an rpm range your engine can support, but the 2s do sound much better. I want a louder exhaust actually. I have full basani and i think it is pretty quiet at idle.
Hey LvGordo, did you ever take your car to get a dyno tune? Results? I know you were upset about the powerband shift before, just wondering cuz mine are being installed on tuesday!
Old 05-08-2006, 08:14 PM
LvGordo
4th Gear Member

yeah, i wound up with a paltry (at least i think so) 270 at the wheels and like 285 tq. I know i have an exhaust leak, not sure if that affected the results. I have gotten used to the power shift, again i think it was more from the headers than the cams. i do wish for more lope and a louder exhaust now.

ORIGINAL: luckymckay21

ORIGINAL: LvGordo

i did vt stage 1s. I wanted 2s but talking alot more $$ with springs and install. They sound ok but not nearly like the 2s. I think the 1s on a stock bottom end are the way to go, you can use all teh power of the cams in an rpm range your engine can support, but the 2s do sound much better. I want a louder exhaust actually. I have full basani and i think it is pretty quiet at idle.
Hey LvGordo, did you ever take your car to get a dyno tune? Results? I know you were upset about the powerband shift before, just wondering cuz mine are being installed on tuesday!
Old 05-08-2006, 08:31 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DILO2001GT

well today i went to a car show and met a guy with VT stage 1 cams. He turned it on for me and I wasn't impressed at all with the sound. Made his maganpacks and h-pipe with the cams sound like my lm1s with a x-pipe with the stock cams. I am def going stage 2 just for the sound issue. I got some good feedback about them though and he did the install himself and said it was fairly easy. He has yet to tune it though so he didn't have any dyno numbers. He told me he would let me know how much power he made next time I see him there.
What mufflers are you running? Stage 1s OR stage 2s will NOT have that agressive idle lope with a non baffled muffler, espcially a true straight thru style like a magnapack.

What did it sound like compared to the idle at the begning of this clip? This is my car just before the blower:

http://videos.streetfire.net/player....4-05EE8B587477

I have heard of people acutally getting some baffled (re flowmaster style) mufflers after they did cams because their magnaflow style mufflers did not have the sound they were looking for.

BTW, the spring install, which will be required for the stage 2s (but not 1s) is supposed to be a REAL bitch, and you have to buy the special spring tool from ford to get them out and back in. They are also an extra 200+ bucks. If you do get em, I recommend the beehive comp ones.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:36 PM
DILO2001GT
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 03sonicgt

Sound clips should not be your selling point. Trust me, you need to hear it in person. The cams I heard, you have to have your ears right next to the exhaust to even hear the idle. If you want a big idle, go with stage 2's.
exactly. i needed to bend down to hear them and even at that it sounded like my car now and he had magnapacks and a catted h pipe.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:09 PM
03sonicgt
5th Gear Member

20004.6, are you saying that flowmaster mufflers are going to give you the lope that everyone is looking for??
Old 05-09-2006, 12:54 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 03sonicgt

20004.6, are you saying that flowmaster mufflers are going to give you the lope that everyone is looking for??
Without a baffled muffler it will not have that lopy sound that everyone is looking for. It does lope, it just doesn't have the same sound.

Listen to that clip, that was stage 2 cams with BBK LTs, a BBK o/r X, and magnaflow regulars (full aftercat). Those were stage 2s, but I have heard stage ones that sounded more "lopy" than mine because they were using a baffled muffler.

I have thought about going with a baffled muffler again to get that more agressive idle, but I just cannot give up my drone free magnaflows and the WOT sound

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VT stage 1 cams