4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Good Deal on Heads???

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 09:42 PM
03sonicgt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Good Deal on Heads???

ORIGINAL: 97targa

I hope your were getting the heads loaded for that price.
You can buy a set of GT-40 heads for a little more than $600
Your staock heads with no mods are worth $150
Where do you buy gt-40 heads for 600?? I thought they only had those for the 5.0?? And I talked the guy down to 500 today, I'm going out tonight to look at them. I found out a performance shop did the job. So tonight I'll get the full details about them tonight. You guys think it would be worth it?? How hard is it to reinstall heads??
Old 05-08-2006, 10:35 PM
hurleymasta
2nd Gear Member

heads off a 2003? im interested if the price is right....
PM me please
full detail**

Ryan
Old 05-08-2006, 10:57 PM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

Are you sure the heads are not off a 5.0 motor... Because you said he has been around mustangs, but around 5.0.... Plus you do really need to know how the porting was done.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:25 AM
03sonicgt
5th Gear Member

Well here's the story, the guy I'm buying them from took the heads off of a friends 2000 Saleen. The guy turboed the saleen and blew his motor with the ported heads. He then upgraged to better heads and such...The heads only have 500 miles on them and already have heavy duty valve springs. The guy had stage 3 cams in them. I found out the porting was done by a big performance shop around the area. For 500 bucks, I think it's a darn good deal, do you guys think I should do it?? I was planning on porting my heads, but this just seems much cheaper and easier...
Old 05-09-2006, 03:02 AM
roaddog

ORIGINAL: 03sonicgt

Well here's the story, the guy I'm buying them from took the heads off of a friends 2000 Saleen. The guy turboed the saleen and blew his motor with the ported heads. He then upgraged to better heads and such...The heads only have 500 miles on them and already have heavy duty valve springs. The guy had stage 3 cams in them. I found out the porting was done by a big performance shop around the area. For 500 bucks, I think it's a darn good deal, do you guys think I should do it?? I was planning on porting my heads, but this just seems much cheaper and easier...
EEEEERRRRRRRR.....I would'nt do it...I mean you should RUN from this deal...better yet, give me this guy's contact information and I will buy them EEERRRRRR... I mean give him. yea give him my thoughts on him trying to take advantage of you!
Old 05-09-2006, 06:17 PM
bluepony4.6
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: roaddog

EEEEERRRRRRRR.....I would'nt do it...I mean you should RUN from this deal...better yet, give me this guy's contact information and I will buy them EEERRRRRR... I mean give him. yea give him my thoughts on him trying to take advantage of you!
Sneaky, Sneaky.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:55 PM
03sonicgt
5th Gear Member

Are you saying that I should not buy them??? I'm confused, help me out guys, I might buy them friday night, I need help asap. Should I buy them?
Old 05-10-2006, 11:44 AM
bluepony4.6
3rd Gear Member

Are you saying that I should not buy them??? I'm confused, help me out guys, I might buy them friday night, I need help asap. Should I buy them?
He's being funny. Buy them or we will.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:33 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

if a reliable shop ported them its a pretty decent deal, espcially with the new valvesprings in em.

I assume the stage 3 camshafts do not come wiht em? If they do its a total steal.

The heads will not be as good as the 1200+ dollar heads you see for sale from aftermarket companys if they are just ported (no valve work etc) but they will still flow much better than your stockers.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:17 PM
03sonicgt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

if a reliable shop ported them its a pretty decent deal, espcially with the new valvesprings in em.

I assume the stage 3 camshafts do not come wiht em? If they do its a total steal.

The heads will not be as good as the 1200+ dollar heads you see for sale from aftermarket companys if they are just ported (no valve work etc) but they will still flow much better than your stockers.
I was about to pm you 20004.6, because no one was really helping me out with the topic. I really think I am going to do them. And no, the stage 3 cams do not come with them, but the valve springs are a HUGE bonus. Any other thoughts you guys?? Are there any signs to look for if they're messed up?? Also, with stage 2 cams, and full boltons with the ported heads, what kind of rwhp would I see? 310rwhp??

Quick Reply: Good Deal on Heads???