4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Good Deal on Heads???

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 02:37 AM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Good Deal on Heads???

ORIGINAL: 03sonicgt

ORIGINAL: myshifter.com

using a flowbench is nothing more than maximizing gains from their stock numbers. I use my bench to measure were I am or am not making progress while doing my heads. NEVER race your flowbench numbers against another guys flowbench numbers. Just like dynos, 2 dynos in 2 different states will reveal different numbers with the same car. Any shop porting your heads and not using a flow bench to measure their gains and progress or lack of, is useless.
Thanks for your help man, but to put it simply, would you buy these heads if you were me??
Thats a tough call really, is that 500 bucks somewhat disposable? Take what anyone says when they are selling used parts with a grain of salt and gather as much knowledge about what you are buying before you buy. Simple things in this instance would be to take an intake and exhaust gasket with you and line them up to see if any port work has been done as far as gasket matching goes, thats first. Definately take a few random springs off and just check valve guide wear by moving the valve around in the guide. A quick visual of the valve seats is simple and will tell you real quick if you are buying junk.

Just cause someone degreased the heads and wiped them down dont mean crap. I know you probably dont have the tools or access to them but for instance what I would do first is take a bore gauge and micrometer and measure a few ports real quick and find out who's lying or not. Guaranteed you could find stock intake and exhaust port dimensions. Or pretend you know what you are looking for and throw a few curveballs at him and ask if the roofs were raised or if the short side radiuses were worked on. Wipe of one of the valves and check to see the radius on them, anyone doing porting is going to do a valve job. Use your gut instinct, price is second.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:27 PM
03sonicgt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Good Deal on Heads???

Thanks man.