4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Should I say goodbye to the 2V???

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 06:30 PM
Sonicpilz
2nd Gear Member

Default Should I say goodbye to the 2V???

Whats up people. I've been doing a lot of thinking about these puny little 2V motors. After I got spanked by a Mach 1 the other night, I realize that if I put $2K in my motor, I still can't beat a Mach 1 with $300 in his motor. I don't want any power adders, so I'm seriously thinking about a motor change. I could always get Cams, heads, etc...but with a motor with built internals will cost me an extra $2K at least. I've found a place that has a brand new Mach 1 4V motor for $5,400. The only thing I will have to get is a computer. I figure I could sell my 2V with 56K miles on it for at least $2500, this would only put me at investing $2,900 to a motor with WAY more potential. I mean.....just the engine swap and I'll be faster than I am already. What do you guys think???
Old 05-08-2006, 06:34 PM
TeeStang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Should I say goodbye to the 2V???

Sounds like a decent idea. I would really like to see someone follow through with that swap...
Old 05-08-2006, 06:34 PM
steeda3
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sonicpilz

Whats up people. I've been doing a lot of thinking about these puny little 2V motors. After I got spanked by a Mach 1 the other night, I realize that if I put $2K in my motor, I still can't beat a Mach 1 with $300 in his motor. I don't want any power adders, so I'm seriously thinking about a motor change. I could always get Cams, heads, etc...but with a motor with built internals will cost me an extra $2K at least. I've found a place that has a brand new Mach 1 4V motor for $5,400. The only thing I will have to get is a computer. I figure I could sell my 2V with 56K miles on it for at least $2500, this would only put me at investing $2,900 to a motor with WAY more potential. I mean.....just the engine swap and I'll be faster than I am already. What do you guys think???
Oh snap....Now i see your mod list....dang and you still lost...
Old 05-08-2006, 06:41 PM
Sonicpilz
2nd Gear Member

Oh I'll keep the car. I'm just saying.......Gears, Cams, Intake, Exhaust, Pullies, chip, all that just to run with a Stock Mach 1. Thats an easy $2,000 for upgrades. I could get a Mach 1 with 0 miles for maybe $1,000 more, and still have the same performance. Plus look at all those mods I can still make. I'm just thinking out loud, I don't know if I can actually come out quite that cheap by making the swap, otherwise everybody would be doing it.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:52 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

Without power adders such as turbos or supercharging, you can't possibly build up your GT to the level of a stock 32V engine. You can always try nitrous first before making any quick changes and spending a whole hell of a lot of money on another car. Your mods with nitrous may just make the playing field more even and there is a good chance you will take him.....providing he doesn't have nitrous also. Try the juice, you may love the results.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:56 PM
Sonicpilz
2nd Gear Member

FOR THE THIRD TIME.......I'M NOT GETTING RID OF MY CAR!!!! Just the motor! I'm only going to change my 2V with 56K miles to a 4V Mach 1 with 0 miles. They offer them as "crate" motors in several different places.....usually around $5,400. The only thing you would have to buy extra is a computer, but you could probably get one at a junk yard.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:58 PM
laserred38
5th Gear Member

i think you should post this in the "V6 to V8" conversion section as some guys don't think it is worth it to spend all the money to do a V6 to GT 2V swap....that is why I plan to swap in a 4V Mach or 4V 99-01 Cobra engine if I do....because they have that much more potential compared to the 2V....i say do it...don't let anyone tell you it is not worth the money....and when you race and beat them.....don't look back......lol......sorry to be all poetic and gay sounding....but seriously i know it will be worth it to me in the end.....if someone else says it wasn't worth it....who cares its not their car....let them have their opinion
Old 05-08-2006, 07:00 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Deannostang

Without power adders such as turbos or supercharging, you can't possibly build up your GT to the level of a stock 32V engine. You can always try nitrous first before making any quick changes and spending a whole hell of a lot of money on another car. Your mods with nitrous may just make the playing field more even and there is a good chance you will take him.....providing he doesn't have nitrous also. Try the juice, you may love the results.
I'll agree here... nitrous is a very fast way to be faster than a Mach It'll only run you $600-700. Granted, a 32v on nitrous will be even faster, but you could give nitrous a shot.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:17 PM
Wick001
3rd Gear Member

i'm in the same boat as you man. I love Mustangs, this is my 4th one, but it just costs way to much money to make them fast, money that you will never see again. Honestly I think I am ready to step it up a notch to a corvette or cobra, but i'm leaning more toward a corvette.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:20 PM
Sonicpilz
2nd Gear Member

Ok I don't know whats the deal with the V6-V8, but anyways. I just don't want power adders. People around here are "corn fed" hillbillies and if you have a power adder then they say you've taken the easy way out. I'd rather own everybody by motor, just in my opinion. Plus from a 2V to a 4V you have a LOT better base to work with. I guess I'm just kinda depressed that I've spend like almost $1,800 into my 2V and I still can't beat a slightly modded Mach 1. If you can't beat em.......join em. I'm not going to change anything on my GT as far as body and stuff. Not trying to clone anything, just strictly for performance.

Quick Reply: Should I say goodbye to the 2V???