4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Rear Gears & Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 03:10 PM
jsolor7

Default Rear Gears & Warranty

When I bought my Mustang (03 GT) the finance guy said putting in gears would void my warranty (I'm covered till 09). Is this guy full of shi* or would I really be screwed if I put 4.10s in? If I had less than a year to go I'd say *** it and do it anyway but I've got 3 left. Anyone know?
Old 05-10-2006, 03:15 PM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Rear Gears & Warranty

ORIGINAL: jsolor7

When I bought my Mustang (03 GT) the finance guy said putting in gears would void my warranty (I'm covered till 09). Is this guy full of shi* or would I really be screwed if I put 4.10s in? If I had less than a year to go I'd say *** it and do it anyway but I've got 3 left. Anyone know?
That is the silliest load of crap I have heard yet from a dealer. If your in a 1 dealer town then maybe think twice, if your in a city with multiple dealers dont worry. Noone at the dealer is gonna have a clue as to the rear end gear.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:16 PM
firemanken

i have an 06 mustang gt. i was just talking with the dealer about changing to 4.10 and he told me it would be covered it they did the work because they would use ford parts.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:25 PM
jsolor7

ORIGINAL: firemanken

i have an 06 mustang gt. i was just talking with the dealer about changing to 4.10 and he told me it would be covered it they did the work because they would use ford parts.

That sounds like dealer BS. I think I remember reading about this law that says that a car manufacturer can't specify a certain brand to be used unless they provide that part for free. Which means that any reputable shop should be able to install gears for you and still be covered under warranty. Can anyone back me up on this?
Old 05-10-2006, 03:29 PM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: firemanken

That sounds like dealer BS. I think I remember reading about this law that says that a car manufacturer can't specify a certain brand to be used unless they provide that part for free. Which means that any reputable shop should be able to install gears for you and still be covered under warranty. Can anyone back me up on this?
The bottom line is this really, if the fuel pump takes a crap under warranty noone gonna be searching for rear end gear changes and so forth. I worked at a ford dealer for 7 years in the early 90's as a tech and almost 99% of all techs hate aftermarket stuff, especially if the repair is under warranty. Most techs dont have a clue as to the aftermarket stuff and it may keep them from meeting the book time ford tells you, you get paid for the specific job. Imagine getting a warranty job for a squeek and rattle and the book says it pays 8 tenths of an hour to fix but it takes you 2 hours to track down the squuek. Do you know how much time you get paid for when you do the repair? Yep 8 tenths
Old 05-10-2006, 04:00 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Go out and find the June issue of Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords (MM&FF). There is a great article discussing this very thing its on pg. 130. You might be able to find the article on their website.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:03 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

if they tried hard enough, I'm 100% certain they could link rear end gears to absolutely any stupid problem you have in the drive train merely by saying it ****s with cruising speed rpms. but then again, they might not even notice you have them. it's a gamble.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:44 PM
spaided
1st Gear Member

Check these links out. My buddy has a 05 GTO with some mild mods and all of the sudden his clutch totally went out and when he broght it in for service they told him his ENTIRE warranty was void b/c of off road X pipes!!!! Well i did a little research and i came up with this and he printed the law out and showed it to his service rep at the dealer and magically his warranty is good again, so it works. There are cases of people replacing there radios and the dealerships are trying to void warranties. Total BS!

http://www.sema.org/main/semaorghome.aspx?ID=50096

http://www.mlmlaw.com/library/guides...s/undermag.htm
Old 05-10-2006, 04:55 PM
jsolor7

I HATE f-ing dealers and their service departments. they're like oil companies, trying to screw you any way they can and they never know what the fu*k they're talking about.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:05 PM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

I HATE f-ing dealers and their service departments. they're like oil companies, trying to screw you any way they can and they never know what the fu*k they're talking about.
In a slight defense of the dealers, in the early 90's when K&N filters started showing up on ever car imaginable, mass air flow sensors were taking a crap prematurely. We would run into atleast 4-5 cars per week with MAF issues. Well after some time the problem was the oil K&N shipped with the filters, people would cover the air filter and wipe out MAF sensors. So obviously Ford ate the costs before the true nature of the problem was revealed. But as far as rear end gears, unless the mod is visible, no dealer is gonna have a clue a bout 3.73's in your rear end.