4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

h or x pipes

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 01:22 PM
Sebski
2nd Gear Member

Default h or x pipes

I plan on changing my mid pipes and i want a nice agressive sound, im leaning towards o/r x pipes but i just wanna see what people think?
Old 05-11-2006, 01:26 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Default RE: h or x pipes

If you want the most aggressive sound out of your V8, go with an o/r midpipe, definitely.

I have always been told to get X pipes, Ive always heard X, x, and x when people talk about performance, therefore thats what I got, and I took my advice from Code, who is well respected on here.

Xs are much louder, Hs are deeper. Choose what sound you want.

O/R VRS X for the win.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:28 PM
Sebski
2nd Gear Member

well i was was lookin at vrs o/r x pipes. what is the definition of deep as opposed to loud?
Old 05-11-2006, 01:37 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Good question.

My o/r is much louder than any "deep" sounding car I have ever heard. I will out magnify my neighbors 66' Vette. (Obviously his is consistantly louder than mine, but at WOT, I have him dead. Keep in mind I have LTs and LM1s though too.)

O/R Xs are a higher pitched tone, and magnify quite a bit. They are very choppy. Some people say they are raspy, but that is far from the truth, because these people have never heard "real" rasp. They are more choppy than raspy, although I understand why they say that, because the sound it very unorthodox, but is music to everyones ears that has them.

O/R Hs are just much deeper. It will just give a deep tone, like a Ram 1500 with an exhaust. Thats the kind of deep I mean.

Xs are deep at low RPMs and great much louder and a little higher pitched.

Hs are deep pretty much all through the band.

Mine is still deep enough for me though. I wanted LOUD and thats what I got, but I do still get a nice deep tone in the low RPMs where it really only needs to be deep. Deep enough for me.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:25 PM
Sebski
2nd Gear Member

sounds good, so do you thing my car will sound nice with hooker shorties, o/r xpipes and the magnaflows?
Old 05-11-2006, 02:45 PM
boss281
3rd Gear Member

i like h pipes for the deeper sound
Old 05-11-2006, 03:37 PM
Dragon02GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: boss281

i like h pipes for the deeper sound
+1, I gotBBK LT's and o/r h-pipe and if I had a higher lift cam in my car it would sound juts like and old muscle car. The sound makes you want to go change your pants after you hear the setup for the first time. It is deep, rumbles, and is loud as all hell. O/R h-pipe w/ LT's for the win. Don't wate your time with shorty headers.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:42 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

I think H pipes sounds better from the outside, but when I had my stock H pipe, my exhaust would rattle everything on the inside. the stupid a/c vents drove me nuts to the point of killing the next person I met named Henry. my catted x is louder when you rev the motor, but it doesn't vibrate everything on the inside of the car because it makes less low rumbling noise. I don't even want to imagine what an offroad H pipe would have been like inside my car.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:47 PM
Sebski
2nd Gear Member

soo o/r h pipes give you the sound of an old muscle car... are Mac o/r h pipes any good?
Old 05-11-2006, 03:52 PM
JFettsRoush
1st Gear Member

I have a MAC o/r H and love it. With the side exhaust and not cats, it sounds great!

Quick Reply: h or x pipes