4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Why does alot of people here dislike Flowmasters?

Old 05-12-2006, 12:31 AM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Why does alot of people here dislike Flowmasters?

I used to have welded in flowmasters and I switched to a magnaflow catback. I would never go back, the sound is better at WOT and its much quieter crusing or idling. I simply could not deal with the constant droning, as I spend quite a bit of time on the highway.

IMO nothing is more iratating than your car being loud ALL the time.
Agreed 100%. I have magnaflows on my car before my full exhaust. I LOVED the way they sounded, they just weren't loud enough for my taste, lol.

If you are going to get "Flows"...

MagnaFLOWS > FLOWmasters any day of the week. Sound 100% better.

-------------------

And that muffler shop comment... Thats the point. You go into a muffler shop, ask them how to make your car sound good, and they say here give me $250 and I will slap some flowmasters on there and your done. Thats why a lot of people have them, because they don't know what else is out there. Im not saying people don't like them... Because obviously a lot of you do. But when they are everywhere, people don't know what else there is.

IMO, I just think that if you put a car with a flowmaster catback on it, next to the same exact car with a LM1 catback on it.... A clueless person would say the LM1 car sounded better 99.99% of the time.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:32 AM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: meebix

I used to have welded in flowmasters and I switched to a magnaflow catback. I would never go back, the sound is better at WOT and its much quieter crusing or idling. I simply could not deal with the constant droning, as I spend quite a bit of time on the highway.

IMO nothing is more iratating than your car being loud ALL the time.
Agreed 100%. I have magnaflows on my car before my full exhaust. I LOVED the way they sounded, they just weren't loud enough for my taste, lol.

If you are going to get "Flows"...

MagnaFLOWS > FLOWmasters any day of the week. Sound 100% better.
Magnaflows are too quiet unless you have an O/R X...in my opinion.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:34 AM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Magnaflows are too quiet unless you have an O/R X...in my opinion.
Heh, true thats why I switched. [8D]

I just think they all-around actually "sound" better than flowmasters, for what they are.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:41 AM
newb2000GT
4th Gear Member

So are we lemmings or not lemmings?

Everyone hates Flows for 1, the drone, but answer 1a is because everyone has them.

Doesn't everyone have a grill delete?

Doesn't everyone lower their ride?

Doesn't everyone have a sticker free body?

Since when does doing what everyone else is doing matter on this forum?

I was so glad it's called mods and not customizing. I come from the bike world and if you don't customize like everyone else you're ghey. Custom bikes are actually the ones that are still stock. It's everyone who has an Arlen Ness piece on a cruiser. No one knows what a stock windshield/exhaust/seat looks like on current sport bikes because they're all custom.

It reminds me of alternative radio stations in the 90's. They became top 40 stations for alternative music. Is it still alternative when it's mainstream?

So if we're gonna hate on Flows for reason 1a, then we need to hate on everything else that everyone has.

I'll keep my custom 4X4 lift kit on my stang for awhile, as I don't see many of them around these days...
Old 05-12-2006, 12:42 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: JonBeast

ORIGINAL: dan

Everyone who doesn't have flowmasters is always raving about the drone, and those with them don't really mind it.

Odd isn't it?
yea thats cause the people who dont like the drone don't buy it... but the people who like the drone, do buy it
Its the people who don't have the "drone" that exaggerate it, and those with the "drone" don't really mind it.
Oh really? I have owned at least four cars with Flowmasters and the first thing I did was to dump them in the trash for a DynoMax set up that actally flows better. The drone is minor to me, the flow is what I care about, then the sound.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:45 AM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Newb2000GT:

Very very good point, interesting.

I just think that an exhaust especially really defines your ride, and there are so many options out there that people have no clue about, instead they go to the muffler shop and have them weld on some brand sitting on the shelves.

Plus with the other mods you mentioned, yea everyone has a delete, but you can customize the delete too, by changing the pony and color and whatnot... hence defining YOUR ride a little more.

Of course everyone is going to get the same things done because thats what looks good, or sounds good, its just how you research it and make it your own, not just throwing something on there that everyone else has, even though its the same concept.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:45 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

I love my welded in flows. Only drawback is they are a bit quiet, but they do offer a nice aggresive growl. Quiet can be good though, 9 times out of 10 my mom doesn't hear my come in late at night
Old 05-12-2006, 12:51 AM
Hyper00
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dan

Everyone who doesn't have flowmasters is always raving about the drone, and those with them don't really mind it.

Odd isn't it?
yea thats cause the people who dont like the drone don't buy it... but the people who like the drone, do buy it
Its the people who don't have the "drone" that exaggerate it, and those with the "drone" don't really mind it.
There are alot of followers on this site. Half the people who do the whining about flowmasters and gears don't even have them. I have a buddy with flowmasters and they sound very nice.

If you dislike something because many other people have it, then you may as well sell the stang for something else. I could care less about what someone else has when I am looking to fix up my car. It's not for them, it's for me.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:53 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

+1

some people to me are like "yah whatever mustangs are a dime a dozen" and it's like what do you drive?? they usually shut up at that point. I don't care how many other mustangs there are, and how many there are with the same mods... what matters is I earned the car and I put in the sweat and blood and time to make it what it is.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:58 AM
Dragon02GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: meebix

#1 reason why people don't buy flowmasters is because everything that has an exhaust has flowmasters. Everything and anything that could possibly have an exhaust has flowmasters as an option. And just because no one has ever heard of anything different, they get them. If people did research, they would not go with flowmasters.

There are about 15 Ram 1500 that go past my house every day with those damn dronemasters... I want to slash tires. Im sure the drone really isnt as bad as what people say, hell my LM1s "hone" a little every now and then. I just HATE the way they sound.

Others get scared because off all the crap they hear about them.
Funny, you have an exhaust and you dont have flowmasters. How many people that have replied to this forum have flowmasters? That must be why everyone on this forum always bashes on the "dronemasters" and always talk about their SLP this and SLP that. SLP is overpriced, overrated, and did I mention overpriced. If EVERYONE has flowmasters then why do all these people around here always bash on them. I think more people have SLP because they want their car to sound "different" than everyone else's Mustang. Bt, if more people have them, then how would that sound different? Hmmmm..........................

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why does alot of people here dislike Flowmasters?