4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

So what are these things supposed to run stock?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 08:13 PM
Justgotastang

Default RE: So what are these things supposed to run stock?

**** i've got alot to learn about 4.6s DOH

I could tell you anything you want to know about any year gm and how to make it go fast, but give me a ford and im in bum**** egypt hahaha

On LT1s doing a throttle body isn't necessary till 350 RWHP, and the intake will never need to be changed (it'll flow into the 9s). That's not the same deal with 4.6s right? Looking around in peoples sigs (like yours) it seems alot of people have done those mods. What kind of power differences would I see doing the intake and tb? More importantly, I wonder if anyone sells a direct port nitrous system...

On a seperate issue, what all is different on a bullit from a regular GT? I've raced one before so I'm kind of curious.

thanks for answering all of my questions btw
Old 05-14-2006, 08:28 PM
Dragon02GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Justgotastang

**** i've got alot to learn about 4.6s DOH

I could tell you anything you want to know about any year gm and how to make it go fast, but give me a ford and im in bum**** egypt hahaha

On LT1s doing a throttle body isn't necessary till 350 RWHP, and the intake will never need to be changed (it'll flow into the 9s). That's not the same deal with 4.6s right? Looking around in peoples sigs (like yours) it seems alot of people have done those mods. What kind of power differences would I see doing the intake and tb? More importantly, I wonder if anyone sells a direct port nitrous system...

On a seperate issue, what all is different on a bullit from a regular GT? I've raced one before so I'm kind of curious.

thanks for answering all of my questions btw
The bullit mustang was a 2001 special edition mustang which simply had a little bit different interior styling, better brakes, a better suspension package, and a different intake than the stock GT. It was rated at 265 HP where as teh GT was rated at 260 HP. Not many differences but it will hanlde and brake better than a stock GT. All and all not any faster though w/ only 5 more HP, it's all in the driver.

Now, for the intake manifld and throttle body, I don;t think you "need" to change them, but if you change the intake plenum (that is just the elbow that goes into the plastic intake) and the throttle body it really does help wake up the throttle response of the car. The two of them will cost about $300-$400 depending on which brand you go with. DOing both mods will only give you probably a max of 8 HP, but it shifts then entire power curve up this amount, and also give amazing throttle response over stock. If I had to list my mods into which was best and which was worst (performance wise) they would be the following:

1) Gears, (unlike GM's, the Ford 8.8" rear can easily handle a set 4.10's, which is what I would recommend)
2) LT Headers
3) Throttle Body and Intake Plenum
4) Diablosport Predator Tuner
5) Upper and Lower Control Arms (Unlike the z's, the stangs do not have a panhard bar and lower CA's, they have upper and lower CA')
6) Underdrive Pullies
7) JLT Ram AIr Intake
8) FLowmaster Exhaust
Old 05-14-2006, 08:49 PM
Justgotastang

ORIGINAL: Dragon02GT

1) Gears, (unlike GM's, the Ford 8.8" rear can easily handle a set 4.10's, which is what I would recommend)
2) LT Headers
5) Upper and Lower Control Arms (Unlike the z's, the stangs do not have a panhard bar and lower CA's, they have upper and lower CA')
6) Underdrive Pullies
7) JLT Ram AIr Intake
8) FLowmaster Exhaust
Okay cool. Yeah stock 10 bolt GM rears suck ***. I broke my rear twice in my old T/A with 4.10s launching on slicks. Not really the gears that broke them, just 7.5" tiny ring gear and traction combined. I'm saving for a moser 12 bolt or a ford 9 inch for this one haha

I didn't know that stangs had upper and lower rear control arms. I havn't even got this thing on the rack yet, I picked it up last night! but with 49,000 miles it can't be in too bad of shape haha

I think I'll do gears, full exhaust and suspension/tires and see where I end up.

What's the predator tuner? Just a hand held tuner? Also, what's the steeda tri-ax in your sig?
Old 05-14-2006, 08:53 PM
Dragon02GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Justgotastang

ORIGINAL: Dragon02GT

2) LT Headers
6) Underdrive Pullies
7) JLT Ram AIr Intake
8) FLowmaster Exhaust
Okay cool. Yeah stock 10 bolt GM rears suck ***. I broke my rear twice in my old T/A with 4.10s launching on slicks. Not really the gears that broke them, just 7.5" tiny ring gear and traction combined. I'm saving for a moser 12 bolt or a ford 9 inch for this one haha

I didn't know that stangs had upper and lower rear control arms. I havn't even got this thing on the rack yet, I picked it up last night! but with 49,000 miles it can't be in too bad of shape haha

I think I'll do gears, full exhaust and suspension/tires and see where I end up.

What's the predator tuner? Just a hand held tuner? Also, what's the steeda tri-ax in your sig?
Yep, handheld tuner. Good ideas with the mods you wanna do. I am not a fan of gettin drag radials though becasue IMO this is not real street times that you'll run with em on. But yeah, those mods should get you the best bag for the buck in HP and 1/4 times. And yep, suspension is a bit different on the stangs. You know what you are doing though so you will figure it out when you start looking at everything. If you ever need any help with anything feel free to PM me. I am no professional mechanic (my little bro is though ) but I am pretty good at finding my way aroung mustangs now.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:28 PM
Justgotastang

Cool, I appreciate the help!

Also, all of my fast cars roll with drag radials on the street No seperate set of rims for me haha

The only reason I even have street tire times is because I ran those after I did all the power mods, but before I got tires. My E.T was less than stellar.. I seem to remember 2.4 60 foots hahaha
Old 05-14-2006, 09:32 PM
Dragon02GT
2nd Gear Member

Anytime bro
Old 05-14-2006, 09:45 PM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

ORIGINAL: myshifter

congrats, but it just goes to show once again that fox's and pushrod motors are where its at
yeah......

Race a stock fox against a stock 99+ and tell me that again.

It all comes down to one thing: Aftermarket availabilty. If the aftermarket was there for the 4.6 like it is for the 5.0.......
why you 4.6 guys got no parts? Whats not available?
Old 05-14-2006, 09:52 PM
SpecterGT260
5th Gear Member

its all available, but i could get u 4 sets of heads for ur car for the cost one 1 for me. im just gonna do the p/p instead of a head swap
Old 05-14-2006, 09:58 PM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: SpecterGT260

its all available, but i could get u 4 sets of heads for ur car for the cost one 1 for me. im just gonna do the p/p instead of a head swap
Oh its all about money then? He made it sound like the aftermarket wasnt producing parts. I only run big blocks and my heads cost 5-6k a pair so I feel the pain as well lolllllllllllll