4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

12 - 12.5 psi. wow!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 01:21 AM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 12 - 12.5 psi. wow!

kind of off topic but since you are running that much boost shouldnt you get forged internals? how much doesn forged internals cost for a kit and install?
Old 05-15-2006, 01:26 AM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

ORIGINAL: Voodoo

Wow when I hooked up my boost gauge last week I did a little test run and saw about 11psi on the gauge. I ran it again today and got at least 12 but probably more like 12.5 - 13. Wow. This is with my trans shifting at 6100 but the tachometer probably hits 6200 which is higher rpm than I ran it last year. I just need to get my fuel pressure gauge hooked up and then it's time to hit the strip. I am concerned and want to keep a close eye on the fuel pressure toward the end of a full pass. I would have hooked it up today but the adapter I'm going to use had the wrong screws included in the package. I'm going to try to get it done tomorrow and hit the track on Tuesday. Today would have been nice to go to the strip since it was 50 degrees out after it cleared up. No detination at all and the car seems like it could handle more.
Thats alot of boost, you are pushing the limits now. I would be pretty careful

Get some blower cams and dial the boost back. Make more power with less boost, much safer.
I don't want any more hp than I'm getting now with the stock rods. If it blows than I'll put together something streetable and fast. I really don't think the stock rods will keep going forever with any blower but ya never no till it blows. That's racing.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:29 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Wow when I hooked up my boost gauge last week I did a little test run and saw about 11psi on the gauge. I ran it again today and got at least 12 but probably more like 12.5 - 13. Wow. This is with my trans shifting at 6100 but the tachometer probably hits 6200 which is higher rpm than I ran it last year. I just need to get my fuel pressure gauge hooked up and then it's time to hit the strip. I am concerned and want to keep a close eye on the fuel pressure toward the end of a full pass. I would have hooked it up today but the adapter I'm going to use had the wrong screws included in the package. I'm going to try to get it done tomorrow and hit the track on Tuesday. Today would have been nice to go to the strip since it was 50 degrees out after it cleared up. No detination at all and the car seems like it could handle more.

Get some blower cams and dial the boost back. Make more power with less boost, much safer.
I don't want any more hp than I'm getting now with the stock rods. If it blows than I'll put together something streetable and fast. I really don't think the stock rods will keep going forever with any blower but ya never no till it blows. That's racing.
Just seems like too much boost for the stock shortblock. Nice numbers though.

I guess so long as you are prepared to pull the engine at any time it doesn't matter. I have just always been told that on 12 PSI its only a matter of time. Dunno if thats nessicarrly true though.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:32 AM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wwmost

kind of off topic but since you are running that much boost shouldnt you get forged internals? how much doesn forged internals cost for a kit and install?
Well it would not put out that much if I set my tune to shift at 5800. I'm pushing it a bit and shifting at 6100 but like I said earlier the tac hits 6200. The extra boost is coming from the extra rpm. I've been running it to 6200 though for a few months and the motor seems to handle it well. We'll find out.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:37 AM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

Just seems like too much boost for the stock shortblock. Nice numbers though.

I guess so long as you are prepared to pull the engine at any time it doesn't matter. I have just always been told that on 12 PSI its only a matter of time. Dunno if thats nessicarrly true though.
To be honest psi is not going to be the final thing that causes the car to break. Preignition is the killer of our motors. Too much HP in my opinion will decrease the longevity of the stock rods. Piston failure I believe is mostly a detination thing.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:49 AM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wwmost

Well I would not put together a rotating Assembly if I went to forged internals. I would buy a built short block. Problem with that is I could afford the short block but there would be alot of extra stuff I would want to do if I got one that would cost so much more. Blower cams, ported heads, intake manifold, trans, converter, axles, and the list goes on. I may be wrong but I'm not worried about the motor blowing because it's been like this since last august so, so far so good.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:02 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

ive hit 14psi before... no problems... what will kill the car is a ****ty tune.... if it was to lean out.. im sure it would pop
Old 05-15-2006, 02:22 AM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: racer02GTstang

ive hit 14psi before... no problems... what will kill the car is a ****ty tune.... if it was to lean out.. im sure it would pop
What RPM?
Old 05-15-2006, 02:56 AM
LvGordo
4th Gear Member

[/quote]

voodoo, uh, you dont think your car is fast now with over 400? [:-] actually i am worried about the same thing. I know 400 and 270 (my current rwhp [&:]) is a big difference, but i dont think my car is fast at all. I hope i will think that when i hit your numbers.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:37 AM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LvGordo

voodoo, uh, you dont think your car is fast now with over 400? [:-] actually i am worried about the same thing. I know 400 and 270 (my current rwhp [&:]) is a big difference, but i dont think my car is fast at all. I hope i will think that when i hit your numbers.
I guess I thought it was fast till I wanted to go faster. About a month or so. LOL
I'm happy though. Staying alive is more important than speed too. [8D]