4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

12 - 12.5 psi. wow!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 10:59 PM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

Default 12 - 12.5 psi. wow!

Wow when I hooked up my boost gauge last week I did a little test run and saw about 11psi on the gauge. I ran it again today and got at least 12 but probably more like 12.5 - 13. Wow. This is with my trans shifting at 6100 but the tachometer probably hits 6200 which is higher rpm than I ran it last year. I just need to get my fuel pressure gauge hooked up and then it's time to hit the strip. I am concerned and want to keep a close eye on the fuel pressure toward the end of a full pass. I would have hooked it up today but the adapter I'm going to use had the wrong screws included in the package. I'm going to try to get it done tomorrow and hit the track on Tuesday. Today would have been nice to go to the strip since it was 50 degrees out after it cleared up. No detination at all and the car seems like it could handle more.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:03 AM
jpmustanggt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 12 - 12.5 psi. wow!

Hey man, I don't mean to hijack your post at all, but where did you get your blower and did your intercooler come with it or what?
Thanks
Old 05-15-2006, 12:12 AM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

I got a tuner kit so I could get the parts I wanted from Cool-blue-performance but if I were you I would look into one of those MPH kits. I bought my cooler afterward but I think I would have got it much cheaper had I got it in some kind of package.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:34 AM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

nice. im still running like crap here. gonna pull off my catted midpipe and put the o/r back on. pretty sure thatll fix it cause the damn thing ran like a champ before i put the catted one on. my boost gauge T was clogged at one end so i should be able to get a better reading when i put a new one in. im gonna take a swing at the powerpipe when it stops raining. im hoping to hit 9-10 psi after i get the dyno tune. i totally need a fuel pressure gauge. good work
Old 05-15-2006, 12:50 AM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustang_montana

nice. im still running like crap here. gonna pull off my catted midpipe and put the o/r back on. pretty sure thatll fix it cause the damn thing ran like a champ before i put the catted one on. my boost gauge T was clogged at one end so i should be able to get a better reading when i put a new one in. im gonna take a swing at the powerpipe when it stops raining. im hoping to hit 9-10 psi after i get the dyno tune. i totally need a fuel pressure gauge. good work
Your running the 3.6 pulley right. I think you'll get 10 or maybe more out of it with the power pipe. I think there's only 1psi difference between the two. What kind of compression is that new motor you put in. I think the 99-03 are 9.4:1 which may actually be a good thing as far as the amount of boost to run.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:56 AM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

i have no idea about the compression. i bought it thinking it was just an s281 motor but the numbers matched an s281e. so supposedly has forged internals, im not gonna try and find out any time soon. oh and my iat is definetly not where its supposed to be. i guess the tube after the aftercooler is where im gonna need to drill a hole for it. i think the temp is pretty close to the fenderwell but it doesnt hurt. i know thats not causing my leaning out bs though.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:57 AM
LvGordo
4th Gear Member

voodoo. couple of things, first i would love to have your numbers. What pulley are you running? I thought you would make more power with that much boost? i think i have a 3.4x pulley coming, i was going to do a 3.33 but my blower is still not on the car and with the power pipe, i didnt want to get crazy right off the bat. i talked to the tech at vortech and he said since i have cams, tb/pl and headers and stuff, that actually robs boost. have you experience the same thing? also, how can you tell how much boost you are making w/o a boost gauge?
Old 05-15-2006, 01:18 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Voodoo

Wow when I hooked up my boost gauge last week I did a little test run and saw about 11psi on the gauge. I ran it again today and got at least 12 but probably more like 12.5 - 13. Wow. This is with my trans shifting at 6100 but the tachometer probably hits 6200 which is higher rpm than I ran it last year. I just need to get my fuel pressure gauge hooked up and then it's time to hit the strip. I am concerned and want to keep a close eye on the fuel pressure toward the end of a full pass. I would have hooked it up today but the adapter I'm going to use had the wrong screws included in the package. I'm going to try to get it done tomorrow and hit the track on Tuesday. Today would have been nice to go to the strip since it was 50 degrees out after it cleared up. No detination at all and the car seems like it could handle more.
Thats alot of boost, you are pushing the limits now. I would be pretty careful

Get some blower cams and dial the boost back. Make more power with less boost, much safer.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:20 AM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LvGordo

voodoo. couple of things, first i would love to have your numbers. What pulley are you running? I thought you would make more power with that much boost? i think i have a 3.4x pulley coming, i was going to do a 3.33 but my blower is still not on the car and with the power pipe, i didnt want to get crazy right off the bat. i talked to the tech at vortech and he said since i have cams, tb/pl and headers and stuff, that actually robs boost. have you experience the same thing? also, how can you tell how much boost you are making w/o a boost gauge?
Well you have to remember I have an auto so that's why my hp is about 35 or so less than a 5 speed. I just have the 3.33 which is what Vortech uses for their cooler pkg. I actually had the 3.33 pulley on my car before I had the cooler and was told it wouldn't make any more power than the 3.6 since they would have to retard the timing. They were right too. My car only made 345 with the 3.33 pulley and no cooler. I added the cooler and Ignition air temp sensor after the blower which is critical and made 60 more hp. Like I said though the first time I tested the boost gauge I only saw 11psi but today it was easily 12-12.5
You can't tell how much boost you're getting without a gauge. You can though find out fuel pressure if you data log with a handheld tuner.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:21 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Seems like alot of boost though on a stock shortblock.....

Quick Reply: 12 - 12.5 psi. wow!