4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Just for the hell of it, what do you think I'll run in the 1/4

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 04:22 AM
silver03gt
3rd Gear Member

Default Just for the hell of it, what do you think I'll run in the 1/4

Friday night I'm going to new england dragway, I haven't been in years and last time I was in my camaro
street tires,
diablo tune with timing all the way advanced+ 100 octane gas
CAI, k&N
Upper and Lower control arms
75mm throttle body, ported plenum
LM1 cat back
If I am lucky I might have my subfrme connectors and shif kit in by then too,

Anytway, I am not expecting anything great, as long as I break 14 I'll be happy, but do you think I have even a chance at mid to high 13's?

I am also gonna take out the rear seat, spare tire and a few other unnecasery weight adders

Well, what do you think? and any reccomendations on launching with the street tires?
Also, any ideas on if I should richen it up or lean it out on the fuel curve? would either help at all?
Old 05-15-2006, 04:23 AM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Just for the hell of it, what do you think I'll run in the 1/4

if u can hook high 13s maybe... u need some gears and sticky tires
Old 05-15-2006, 04:26 AM
silver03gt
3rd Gear Member

Oh, believe me, gears and tires will come, this is just for now, I feel like going up and having some fun
Old 05-15-2006, 04:36 AM
Shize

you should get into the high 13s. Im running consistant low 14s,and you have way more done than me, and thats with 2.2 60' on street tires
Old 05-15-2006, 04:36 AM
Quickshift_02GT
4th Gear Member

Post back and let us know how you run, I have a similar setup. I'm hitting the dragstrip in a couple weeks, as soon as I get my brakes replaced. Still debating on what to do for those...

Are you going with a first goal in mind that you want to reach?

I have my heart set on a 13.80 for my first goal. With a bit of practice, I hope to hit that before I get gears done. Not sure if I'll be able to hit it with these tires, but I guess we'll see. After all, it's a goal...might take some work to get there.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:41 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

I wouldn't heat your tires up. Run them cold. Sounds retarted but it works well with street tires. The track is warm enough. Street tires get very slippery when they are too hot. Your gonna need traction, so don't go crazy off the line. Hold the brake and put your rpm's around 1200. You should be able to hold that w/out spinning. When light turns green give it 1/2 throttle for about 15 feet then full throttle till finish. It's harder to do than U think. If you get a good jump w/out spinning to much, you'll be in the up upper 13's. Another thing.....Let the tranny do the shifting if you don't get the kit in by then. It's just another wasted thing that you don't need to worry about since the computer shifts on it's own anyway. Watch the runway, not the other driver. Weaving takes up drag and time.
Not sure about your set-up though. Don't know what your timing is?
You should be able to run a colder plug with advanced timing and 104+ Octane. I wouldn't lean out anymore than what the timing curve does for you, because with that high of octane you'll burn a hole in your piston running hot and lean.
****Just because you use 93 or 94 Octane and throw in a bottle of Octane Boost, doesn't make you no more than +1.0 Octane.
which means 93 Octane + Bottle of Octane boost(up to 10 points) raises your octane to 94 octane
The only way to get higher octane is to but it from a pump.(race fuel) $12.49 gallon in my home town.
1 point =.01 octane
Old 05-15-2006, 04:49 AM
silver03gt
3rd Gear Member

My only goal as of now is to breal a 14 flat, I haven't been in a long time and I know my 60' times are gonna suck

97 targa, I am aware, I do not plan on throwing an additive in my fuel, I have a station up the street that sells 100 octane fuel, I was gonna bring a 5 gallon can up with me and dump it in with about a 1/4 tank of regular fuel. Or at my work we have 5 gallon cans of 107 octane racing fuel,for ultra high compression engines, but I don't think I need that., I work in a motorcycle shop..... So, should I just leave the fuel curves alone? and should I advance the timing all the way in both rpm ranges or just up top?
Old 05-15-2006, 03:04 PM
djb1187
5th Gear Member

thats kind of alotta mods, you should hit 13.9 or 13.8 with all those mods and your weight reduction.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:17 PM
gouldie1903
2nd Gear Member

check the weather before you go since it doesn't look like it'll stop raining for a while
Old 05-17-2006, 01:25 AM
silver03gt
3rd Gear Member

Weather is looking good, woohoo, I cant wait, I am just so worried about getting traction off the line, my tires have excellent cornering and wet traction, but I'm not sure about launching and the roads have been wet for the past few days, hopefully tommorow it dries up a bit and I can do some practice launches at the industrial park.

Quick Reply: Just for the hell of it, what do you think I'll run in the 1/4