4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Traction Control

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 01:17 PM
03 GT
2nd Gear Member

Default Traction Control

What exactly is it? Does it retard timing or change shift points? I felt no difference with it on or off. I really dont race or push my car hard at all so normal driving I doubt youll feel a difference wether it be on or off. So, what exactly does it do? Anyway way to permantly disable it?
Old 05-16-2006, 01:26 PM
d3mon
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Traction Control

i think it stops sending fuel to your engine and aplies the rear brakes a little, try to do a burn out with the tc on and you will feel like the car is choking, dunno if you can get rid of it permanetly...
Old 05-16-2006, 01:28 PM
03 GT
2nd Gear Member

No way in hell it appleis the brakes since people drive with it on mostly.. Youll wear the **** out of your brakes.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:28 PM
06mustang88
3rd Gear Member

you can get rid of it with a hand held tuner
Old 05-16-2006, 01:33 PM
geetee03
5th Gear Member

it is invisible till the wheels start to spin at different speeds. when the wheels lose traction it comes on and cuts the power and and light with a wheel spinning turns on below the gauges. i think it does work with the the abs. drive your car in the rain and it will come on all the time.

mine is disabled with the sct xcal2
Old 05-16-2006, 01:35 PM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

i think he means the brakes are applied with a toggle. (the turn on when the fuel shuts off) however i dont think the brakes turn on.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:36 PM
d3mon
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 03 GT

No way in hell it appleis the brakes since people drive with it on mostly.. Youll wear the **** out of your brakes.

t/c on mean is active not "working", dude i think is called "read the owners guide" sometimes is useful, i have a 2k and it explains everything on page 98, if not again is called index lokk for "traction control", is amazing the information you can find in the glove box of your car
Old 05-16-2006, 01:47 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Ugh... there's a million threads on this, and I'm surprised at how many people are wrong about what it does, when it says pretty much what it does in the manual.

With the TC on, it will normally be doing nothing, unless it detects spin. It uses the rear ABS sensors to detect the spin.

When it sees spin, if it judges the spin to be minor or major, if it is minor, it will apply the brakes slightly, rear only, in much of the same way the ABS works, pulsing the brakes... if the spin does not stop after a few seconds, or it judges the spin to be a major spinning, it moves to it's second step, which steps up the aggressiveness of the rear braking, and retards engine timing.

Think about this, you're going WOT in 1st and you power shift to second and forget the traction control is on... it judges the spin to be major, and now you're at 4000+ RPM WOT and it cuts the fuel? Lean at high RPM WOT is a BAD idea, and I know the Ford engineers know this, it does NOT cut the fuel, it NEVER will. Lean = bad.

It will keep the timing retarded and keep it's aggressive braking until the spin is stopped (the combination is strong enough that at WOT below like 3000 RPM it'll stall if you leave it in first)... after the spin is stopped, the engine timing will remain backed off for only about 3-4 seconds (the green wheel icon will be on in your speedometer cluster). Once the light goes off, the timing returns to full normal.

Unless you're going to be doing something where you want the wheels to spin intentionally, leave it on... it should never get in the way.

Edit: It does not adjust shift points... and I'm speaking of a manual transmission... you'll have a tougher time stalling an auto [8D]... Again the system does NOTHING unless the green light in your dash is on.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:03 PM
d3mon
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ShadowDrake

Ugh... there's a million threads on this, and I'm surprised at how many people are wrong about what it does, when it says pretty much what it does in the manual.

With the TC on, it will normally be doing nothing, unless it detects spin. It uses the rear ABS sensors to detect the spin.

When it sees spin, if it judges the spin to be minor or major, if it is minor, it will apply the brakes slightly, rear only, in much of the same way the ABS works, pulsing the brakes... if the spin does not stop after a few seconds, or it judges the spin to be a major spinning, it moves to it's second step, which steps up the aggressiveness of the rear braking, and retards engine timing.

Think about this, you're going WOT in 1st and you power shift to second and forget the traction control is on... it judges the spin to be major, and now you're at 4000+ RPM WOT and it cuts the fuel? Lean at high RPM WOT is a BAD idea, and I know the Ford engineers know this, it does NOT cut the fuel, it NEVER will. Lean = bad.

It will keep the timing retarded and keep it's aggressive braking until the spin is stopped (the combination is strong enough that at WOT below like 3000 RPM it'll stall if you leave it in first)... after the spin is stopped, the engine timing will remain backed off for only about 3-4 seconds (the green wheel icon will be on in your speedometer cluster). Once the light goes off, the timing returns to full normal.

Unless you're going to be doing something where you want the wheels to spin intentionally, leave it on... it should never get in the way.

Edit: It does not adjust shift points... and I'm speaking of a manual transmission... you'll have a tougher time stalling an auto [8D]... Again the system does NOTHING unless the green light in your dash is on.
someone did his homework now that's what i'm talking about THANK YOU!!!
Old 05-16-2006, 02:04 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ShadowDrake

+1, actually the only thing it does is **** me off most of the time when it comes on[:@]

Quick Reply: Traction Control