4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

OK guys, pleasae give me all the tips you can

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 11:46 PM
silver03gt
3rd Gear Member

Default OK guys, pleasae give me all the tips you can

THis is not a repost, first post was asking what I would run, now I am asking for any tips or help, thanks

OK, Friday night is deffinantly track night for me, first time I have had the stang to the 1/4 mile,,,,, Here is what my setup is
Predator tuner
CAI, K&N filter
75mm T/B
Ported Plenum
Upper and Lower rear control arms
SLP LM1 cat back
Drop springs (dtock shocks & struts)
Street Tires (Yokohama AVS ES100's, 255/40/17 rears)
AUTOMATIC
Will remove spare tire and jack, bottom half of rear seat
( no time to get the subframe conn's or shift kit in yet)

All I am interested in is any tips you guys have, every 1/10 counts, My goal is to reach at least 13.99, hopefully better, but that'll at least make me happy with the car.
How should I set my tire pressure?
Do I bother doing a burnout with the street tires?
WHere should I set my shift points, Rev Limiter
How far should I advance the timing? Can I go all the way with 93 octane? (if not I can buy 110 octane at work and with my discount, 5 gallons is only like 45 bucks)
DOes removing Drivers side headlight help?
Any tips on playing with the fuel curve, or leave it alone?
Well, help me out guys, lets get my auto into the 13's!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-18-2006, 12:15 AM
silver03gt
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: OK guys, pleasae give me all the tips you can

Also, should I adjust my fan turn on temp lower to hopefully keep the car running cooler and not need as much cool down? How important is a cool down period on a lightly modded car? Should I change my oil before I go?
I know these are very Newbish Q's but I havent been to a track in almost 10 years

Do I launch off the third yellow or when I see green?
Old 05-18-2006, 05:43 AM
tcuallstar
4th Gear Member

launch on green, third yellow will give you a red light. and as far as burning out on stock tires, every little bit helps. ive tried to hook up in really cold weather and its no use. the warmer the tires the better (not melting them off the rim though) you should be fine with the 93 octane tune. as far as getting to a 13.99 work on your suspension, if you can get your stang to hook up it will make a world of difference. go with upper and lower CLs and some radials along with 4.10 or 3.90 gears and you will definately get there. if your really looking to spend money go with a shift kit or a 50-75 shot
Old 05-18-2006, 06:29 AM
Justgotastang

How should I set my tire pressure?
Leave it at 35psi or whatever you normally run on street tires

Do I bother doing a burnout with the street tires?
Nope. You can clean them off with a couple revolutions but I just drive around the water box and straight to the line when im motioned to burnout. burnouts on street tires can make them slick, and not sticky at all.

WHere should I set my shift points, Rev Limiter
Someone else will have to help you with this, im not sure

How far should I advance the timing? Can I go all the way with 93 octane?
93 is fine if you're tuned for it.

DOes removing Drivers side headlight help?
No.

Any tips on playing with the fuel curve, or leave it alone?
Leave it be unless you're sure of what you're doing. You can try changing it between runs to fine tune it.

Also, should I adjust my fan turn on temp lower to hopefully keep the car running cooler and not need as much cool down? How important is a cool down period on a lightly modded car?
Heat is the name of the game. Keep your hood up until just before you run, and have the car running in the staging lanes as LITTLE as possible. I push mine up the lanes with the hood up. I'd recommend setting it to about 160 degrees.

Should I change my oil before I go?
If it's 3000 miles are up, sure.

I know these are very Newbish Q's but I havent been to a track in almost 10 years
No question is a stupid one

Do I launch off the third yellow or when I see green?
Third yellow! by the time you react to the third yellow, the light will be green. If you launch on green you'll have **** for a reaction time.

IMO you're going to need a stall and tires before you really get the results you want, but good luck!!
Old 05-18-2006, 06:36 AM
DILO2001GT
I ♥ Acer

its the passengers side headlight that people remove
Old 05-18-2006, 09:38 AM
silver03gt
3rd Gear Member

tcuallstar, I do have C/A's installed, already bought a shift kit just don't have it installed yet,,,, I listed what mods I already have in the first post, I'm not running stock tires, just street tires, I don't have any DR's

Dilo, Der, thats what I meant, my bad,,, So does removing the Passengers light side help ( I do have my airbox cut in a way where in theory it should help, but not sure if the engine could actually use the extra air)

My Q about the timing is, can I adjust the timning ALL THE WAY advanced, not just the canned tune that came with the tuner, wasn't sure if 93 is good enough or if I need higher octane for full timing advance

Justgotastang, Thanks for your tips

Old 05-18-2006, 10:56 AM
Stang Bamf
1st Gear Member

what kind of a tree are they using, if its a pro tree, then as soon as you see yellow start slippping the clutch and dropping the e-brake(at our track you roll and red light with out it)
((
Old 05-18-2006, 02:42 PM
ray04gt
1st Gear Member

You'll have to play with the timing to see how much the car can take before detonating (pinging). With my car, I had to have the shop play with the tuner I bought (SCT XCAL 2) because the canned tune had wayy too much timing. They ended up taking like 10 degrees out of the canned tune to get it to run right. Some of the PI 4.6's don't like to take a lot of timing, especially under heavy load or during powershifts, but you should be able to experiment and find what works.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:52 PM
ASUSMC
4th Gear Member

I RAN A 14.33 BONE STOCK 5 SPEED 2000. WITH YOUR MODS YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO IT. LAUNCH ON THE LIGHT RIGHT ABOVE THE GREEN LIGHT. BY THE TIME YOU REACT TO IT AND YOUR CAR REACT TO YOU GREEN WILL PROBABLY ALREADY HAVE IT BUT IT IS ALL LEARNING HOW QUICKLY YOU REACT AND GETING CONSISTANT AT IT. IF YOU ARE CONSISTANT THAN YOU CAN ADJUST HOW QUICKLY YOU LAUNCH. DRAG RACING IS ALL ABOUT CONSISTANCY AT THE LIGHT IF YOU WANT A GOOD TIME. GET CONSISTANT YOU WILL GET YOUR 13.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:17 PM
fiad06
5th Gear Member

why do people remove there passenger headlight, more air in the intake?

Quick Reply: OK guys, pleasae give me all the tips you can