4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

We've all been here before...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 10:48 PM
FutureOwner

Default We've all been here before...

Ok. I'm working over the summer a LOT and saving up for a GT. The thing is that I'm 16 and money is pretty tight since my mommy and daddy aren't paying for anything. I've done the math and figure to have about $9000-$9500 at the end of the summer. I like most 96-98's and all of the 99's and up (favorite bodystyle). Since most people on here already have stangs, how did you decide what you wanted to get? I was thinking that if I worked over the schoolyear I could make another $2000 but I would like to start saving for college soon as well. Do you think I should get a stang at the end of summer or save up more over school and get a little bit nicer one?

Also, I'm hoping that if I need to sell it in a few years, it won't lose too much value.

Hopefully some of you guys have been in my position. I can't wait till I can finally get one.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:01 PM
so1o2k3
4th Gear Member

Default RE: We've all been here before...

If you're going to buy a used one, it's inevitable that it will lose a bit of value. If I were you, I would try to find a 99-01 GT with about 60k miles or lower for about $9,000. If you can convince your parents to help you out, get a 99 or 01 cobra for about $11,000. The 4V are nice, just don't launch them too hard with the IRS.

Make sure before you buy it, take it to several mechanics to inspect it thoroughly, get a Carfax report to make sure it's clean, and inspect the body yourself. Preferably, a Ford Dealership inspection is better because even though it costs some money, they won't be half-as$ with the inspection. And also, very important, make sure you test drive it more than once. Inspect the body thoroughly and mention anything you see wrong such as orange peel, chips, dings, oxidation, paint corrosion, etc. Try to haggle down, and don't show them that you are extremely interested in it. Always remember, if the owner sells it to someone else, there are plenty of mustangs you can look at besides his or hers. Trust me, I learned all this the hard way.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:23 PM
JonBeast

You can get a very nice 99-04 GT for 9-9.5K. They are constantly coming down in value now that the new stangs are out. I think by the end of the summer you should have enough to get a decent milege GT, and still have enough to play with it
Old 05-20-2006, 11:40 PM
Trill Gear Head
4th Gear Member

+1, I was gonna get a cobra. The big problem is i don't know which one to get, what year would you guys get out of the following; 96 Cobra Vert, 98 Cobra SVT or a 94 cobra? and plz give reasons which one is better. I was leaning more towars the 94 cobra b/c it has a 302 in it but is their anything else you guys can tell me?
Old 05-20-2006, 11:52 PM
starcam
1st Gear Member

Sure it's nice to buy a speed machine, but your 16, gotta think about insurance, at your age it's jacked up.
96-98 gt are slower and older but probably lesser insurance cost, and if you need faster add a 100shot of juice or pi upgrade, being a cheaper cost than a 99-04, but don't tell the insurance.

Old 05-21-2006, 12:06 AM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

go with a 96-98 GT, why, your 16, now dont get me wrong im 16 too, but when your 16 you tend to think with the wrong head, i can get myself into trouble with a split 6, so a NPI GT should give you more then enough torque to get you in trouble
Old 05-21-2006, 12:11 AM
Black on blacK
2nd Gear Member

im 17 and i worked all of last summer to save up and buy my mustang and i still work after school and on weekends to pay for it, it kinda sucks, but dude its so worth it. work hard and save up. you're goal is well within reach, speaking from experience.
Old 05-21-2006, 12:13 AM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

What ever you buy, follow everyones advice and inspect the **** out of the car! The older it is, 99.9% of the time (for any sports car) the more and harder it's been beat. I found out the hard way as have some of my friends. And just because you got a clean car fax on a vehicle does not mean it was never damaged. Keep that in mind as you inspect it.
Old 05-21-2006, 12:25 AM
HxCory
2nd Gear Member

I'm 19 and in the process of buying a new-er edge 'stang, I've been saving and I'm gonna throwdown a downpayment on a 03-04 Mach 1 or if I can't find the right deal by the end of the summer an 01-04 GT. Anyway, my advice is keep looking, don't jump on the first 'good deal' you find, if you keep waiting and looking you'll find the deal that suits you the best, don't get caught looking at a car that you like b/c it's in your price range that you might regret 1-3 years down the road, this is a big investment.
Good luck and hope you find a good one!
Old 05-21-2006, 12:31 AM
ironh19
3rd Gear Member

when I was 20 I went to get quotes AFTER I bought my mustang and my own company wouldn't even insure me. in the end I had to pay 170 a month w/ no down payment. I got my stang for 9k and damn me for buying the warranties.

Quick Reply: We've all been here before...