4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Looking at this car

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 12:49 AM
LvGordo
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Looking at this car

the install and tune, take it some where and have it re-tuned unless people are saying the valves are burnt or pistons scortched? How do you plan on paying for it? If you are getting a loan, check with your bank to see if they will finance it, most wont, or it can be a a ridiculous interest rate. Next check insurance, the book valve on a r-titled car probably has not much value, so if you total it or get it stolen, you insurance wont cover it all, then you have no car and also a huge bill to pay on the car you dont have, that is how credit gets ruined and bankruptcies get declared. who knows, you may be able to make it work and get yourself a great ride. just be careful.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:50 AM
Rpvsurfer
1st Gear Member

He just responded to my email

the motor was rebuilt because the s/c sucked up water in arizona.
20000 miles were on the rebuilt motor aprox. 45000 on it now

Im no mechanic, does that mean the car was submerged or what
Old 05-22-2006, 12:56 AM
so1o2k3
4th Gear Member

Do NOT buy this car. It's priced way too high. I bought my 2000 GT 5 speed black on black leather with 45k miles for $7200 on a rebuilt title. I had 2 mechanic shops check it out there is no frame damage, and all that needs to be fixed now is the ABS and steering rack. Even if you don't plan on reselling it, 45k miles on a replaced motor is still too much.

Edit: the aftermarket mods are some nice ones and freebies at that, but they do NOT increase the selling value one bit. I definitely regret buying something with a rebuilt title even though the car is running fine. Just the thought that I can't sell this (even though I'm not planning to) bothers me.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:58 AM
V8Cody
3rd Gear Member

Bring it to 2 or 3 mechanics and see what they say. Then low-ball the **** out of his price.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:00 AM
LvGordo
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rpvsurfer

He just responded to my email

the motor was rebuilt because the s/c sucked up water in arizona.
20000 miles were on the rebuilt motor aprox. 45000 on it now

Im no mechanic, does that mean the car was submerged or what
i would make like a tree, and get outta there.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:02 AM
so1o2k3
4th Gear Member

Please...for your sake do not even consider buying this car. Water damage is bad news, and it probably has to do something with the rebuilt title. There are plenty of other nice Mustang GT's you can buy for $10,500 and it probably won't even be as old as this 2000 with as many miles. Don't be fooled by the aftermarket goodies and the supercharger. If this hasn't been done right, it could hurt the longevity of the car. AVOID THIS ONE!!!
Old 05-22-2006, 01:03 AM
Rpvsurfer
1st Gear Member

well what if I offer 5000 plus my 1996 s10 which has a camper shell nice sound system with subs and 70000 miles on it
Old 05-22-2006, 01:20 AM
Rpvsurfer
1st Gear Member

He responded...

"because the air filter sits very low about 6 inches off the ground i had to go
through a puddle and it sumerged the filter w/ water. mi insurance paid for it all."

Anyone have an unlimited carfax and would like to save me some cash and run the vin

1FAFP42X4YF128070

Anymore opinions
Old 05-22-2006, 01:29 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Unless you are willing to problem solve and possibly spend some money for a couple months or even longer to get the car running properly, I say no.

Body kits are a tell all sign of a car that's had body damage. Every friend with a body kit on his/her car and every body kitted car I've had a chance to look at (a lot actually), I've found repair work on every single one. While it's pretty common for a car to need some touch up paint or simply got backed into....better to be safe than sorry.

While it's probably a fun car and appealing to the eye, be smart and let someone else buy the car.

The fact that it has a 'restored' title, which is also called a SALVAGE title in other states, along with him saying the motor was replaced because he drove through some water...sounds like he ain't the brightest guy.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:35 AM
ghoste
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: so1o2k3

Do NOT buy this car. It's priced way too high. I bought my 2000 GT 5 speed black on black leather with 45k miles for $7200 on a rebuilt title. I had 2 mechanic shops check it out there is no frame damage, and all that needs to be fixed now is the ABS and steering rack. Even if you don't plan on reselling it, 45k miles on a replaced motor is still too much.

Edit: the aftermarket mods are some nice ones and freebies at that, but they do NOT increase the selling value one bit. I definitely regret buying something with a rebuilt title even though the car is running fine. Just the thought that I can't sell this (even though I'm not planning to) bothers me.
We have unibody cars, therefore we have no frame. Thats why we buy sub-frame connectors

Quick Reply: Looking at this car