4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Lifting car ?s

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 12:52 AM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Default Lifting car ?s

Well, after spending almost $650 on my exhaust installation, I have realized that I never want to pay that much for installation again, and instead learn how to work on my own freaking car .

So I have some questions about what I would need to get under there. Keep in mind my car is lower 2', so those car ramp things are NOT going to work for me, lol.

What would I need to get under the car near the front end? Like to look at the exhaust underneath, and the tires/brakes, ect.

Yes, I know I need a jack, but I am retarded... Tell me what kind of jack I need. Do I need anything else such as stands or something?

I want to be able to get under the car near the ehuast, as if I was changing it out, and to be able to get the tire off, change the brakes, springs and all that other stuff in there.

What do I need?

(Keep in mind, I am retarded when it comes to working on cars, at least for now. I want to learn. And the first step is to be able to get underneath to start.)
Old 05-22-2006, 12:54 AM
willyd465
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Lifting car ?s

just a hydrolic(sp) jack, and some jack stands
Old 05-22-2006, 12:54 AM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

a small jack, jack stands, and wheel chalks.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:55 AM
Sap
4th Gear Member

Measure the lowest point you would jack (k-member, side of car, differential etc.) and get a jack that when depressed will fit under it. I recommend a 3-ton jack and some 3-ton jackstands. Thats what I use and it works great.

E.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:56 AM
LvGordo
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: willyd465

just a hydrolic(sp) jack, and some jack stands
and a creeper.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:01 AM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Ok cool.

Now I don't need some $130 jack right? Like the ones on Jegs.com. I can pick up some $60 jack and call it a day correct?

Also how many jack stands? Just the 2 in the package or do I need 2 packages which = 4 stands?

And last question. How many tons should the jack and stands be able to hold?

Edit: Just read the 3-ton post, so I will get 3 tons. What about the rest of my questions...
Old 05-22-2006, 01:03 AM
LvGordo
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: meebix

Ok cool.

Now I don't need some $130 jack right? Like the ones on Jegs.com. I can pick up some $60 jack and call it a day correct?

Also how many jack stands? Just the 2 in the package or do I need 2 packages which = 4 stands?

And last question. How many tons should the jack and stands be able to hold?
I bought 4 stands, so i could rotate my own tires, also i bought 3 ton stands as at the time i had a full size pick-up. Overbuy a bit if you can so wont have to buy something over.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:08 AM
robs400
2nd Gear Member

Given that your car is lowered you will probably not be able to fit a normal jack straight under the car. My car is stock ride height and I just drive it up on some 2x6 boards so that the jack fits straight in from the front of the car to my k member. Jack Stands are a must, my uncle passed away because the jack gave out and he had no jack stands, so I was always brought up with an emphasis on using them! For somethign like your exhaust you would need the four jack stands because the car needs to be way up there to get the stock exhaust out unless you want to cut it.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:11 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Whatever you buy, make sure its a decent jack and stands. I wouldn;t trust a kit that was only 60 bucks.

Make sure you set the car down on the stands, and support it with the stands not the jack. Also, make sure its on there really solid. I usually try rocking the car back and forth a bit before I get under it. Better to have it come off the stand and break something than come off the stand and crush your ***.

Also, parking break on, car in gear, and use blocks if you only jack up one end.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:47 AM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Ok thats good information... Im sorry about your uncle too, but now you scared me [&:]

I will get the jack stands from Jegs, they are pretty cheap and I know they will be good quality from there.

As far as the jack.... I know you guys were saying not to cheap out, but do I really need the $150 jack just to get the car up to get the stands underneath? Or were you guys just saying I needed a good one if I wasnt going to use 4 jack stands?

Because my understanding is that you just need to jack to get the car up to get the stands underneath and then that's basically it for the jack.

Quick Reply: Lifting car ?s