4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

WARNING: Fuel line SPLIT

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 04:18 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Default WARNING: Fuel line SPLIT

While fixing my fuel leak from my patchwork job of splicing a fuel line for the nitrous, I got everything set up properly, and turned the key to find a crack in my fuel line that fuel was spraying out of... SPRAYING. This is in a section of the factory fuel line that I never touched. I'll take a picture in a minute and post it here... This is a heads-up for you all, INSPECT THE RUBBER FUEL LINE in the engine bay!

(Outside fixing now, taking pictures)

Here's a couple pictures, I did the best I could with the limited space... you can clearly see the crack in the fuel line. I have been using the factory fuel pump, there was no reason for this line to split.

[IMG]local://upfiles/20167/A8A3F0C720AF4BD783C1909290A208DB.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/20167/82364F6FAD684C18949C4E69BBB9C148.jpg[/IMG]

Edit: If I disconnect the line at the end of the rubber part, where it connects to the metal line that runs under the car, can I just reconnect any old piece of fuel line back on? Or will I need a special connector on the end? I hate these factory fuel lines [:@]
Old 05-23-2006, 04:50 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Default RE: WARNING: Fuel line SPLIT

No one knows? And you all should keep this in mind, there was no reason for that line to split, it could have ended up in a MAJOR fire with how much fuel it was spraying.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:11 PM
ibeeskeef
2nd Gear Member

was there not a plastic tubing inside of the fuel line? I was very close to cutting a line myself for a wet nitrous kit but found a fuel rail adapter piece that made my life a million times easier. It is not that cheap NX fuel rail tap kit, but a well constructed piece that happens to be made by a manufacturer in my home town. I was told that the rubber fuel lines had plastic tubing inside them so I would doubt you could just take any other fuel line piece and put it in there without some other headaches.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:16 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ibeeskeef

was there not a plastic tubing inside of the fuel line? I was very close to cutting a line myself for a wet nitrous kit but found a fuel rail adapter piece that made my life a million times easier. It is not that cheap NX fuel rail tap kit, but a well constructed piece that happens to be made by a manufacturer in my home town. I was told that the rubber fuel lines had plastic tubing inside them so I would doubt you could just take any other fuel line piece and put it in there without some other headaches.
There is, but hell if I know what happened to it down that far... I had to remove a small piece of that inner plastic liner to make the connection from the old factory fuel line to my new line clean and flow well. I never touched anything down that low on the line.

I already dealt with the headaches from that inner liner, I pushed the ****** t-fitting into the line and it crunched the liner up and choked off the fuel flow almost completely (no light could even get through). WOT couldn't get me past 4800 RPM in 1st gear... got that resolved before my first time spraying. Since then I've had minor leaks that I've fixed as I go... I was going to do a permanent solution today, and I got it done, turned the key to on, went to take a look, and got a STRONG smell of fuel and saw this new crack squirting.

I wanted to tap the fuel system before the regulator, and fuel rail, so I know I had full pressure coming from the nozzle.

Edit: Well, my solution now, is to get a connector for a brand new piece of a fuel line, get a fuel line disconnect tool, and swap out the piece of a line...if I can't find a fitting that will work, I'll just cut the line before the crack and move my splice down some more.