4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

QUestion about spoilers....:)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 03:03 PM
suzukidragracer
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: QUestion about spoilers....:)

Ok here goes:

-A sunken head phillips head machine screw through each hole
-Mylar (plastic stuff) washer on top of each hole, below the screw
-A couple small rubber washers to fill the hole (three in the ones closer to the back window cause it's thicker, and two in the others)
-A large rubber washer below each hole to seal it
-A flat washer below the rubber washer to squeeze it against the underside of the trunk
-A nylon-insert lock nut on each screw

I just went to the hardware store, spent a few minutes searching and thinking, then went outside to check for fitment.
So far, no leaks and i've even washed the car.

Vince
Old 05-24-2006, 03:46 PM
JonBeast

ORIGINAL: suzukidragracer

Correct, and on almost all production cars (except super exotics), all of the downforce creating pieces actually just reduce LIFT. They aren't even enough to start pushing the car down! So, even the new Shelby Cobra GT500 doesn't have any downforce with it's spoiler and air dam or whatever it has.....it was something like 160lbs of Lift + 160lbs of downforce = 0lbs of force @ 150mph.

I took my spoiler off and plugged the holes temporarily, and it looks alot cleaner.

You car can stand out from the crowd a little bit too for maybe $5.00!

Vince
Think about what you just said....."reducing lift"....the only way to reduce lift is to produce some form of downforce
Old 05-24-2006, 03:49 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

you can reduce lift by changing the way air flows so that it doesn't produce lift.

reducing lift is not the same as creating downforce.

although I will admit that suzukidragracer's post don't much make no sense.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:53 PM
JonBeast

ORIGINAL: redass02gt

you can reduce lift by changing the way air flows so that it doesn't produce lift.

reducing lift is not the same as creating downforce.

although I will admit that suzukidragracer's post don't much make no sense.
I still don't see that. By reducing lift, your rear end will be planted more...so, wouldn't that mean it has been "forced down".....if the spoiler is off, the rear end lifts, if the spoiler is on, it doesn't lift. If you say a spoiler doesn't create downforce...then what is it doing?
Old 05-24-2006, 04:15 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

Lift is the force that makes a car "weigh less" while moving. you can get the car to stick to the ground at speed better by either reducing the lift, or increasing the downforce, but they are not the really the same thing. it's somewhat in the wording I suppose, but they are two different forces that act on one object.

A spoiler is it's own specific category from an air dam or chin spoiler or bodykit (did I just say that?!?!) cause it can't reduce lift, it can only counteract the lift by making downforce. but things like air dams and lips will reduce the amount of air that flows under the car's body to decrease lift. they don't need to create downforce to reduce lift, but a spoiler does.

if you can prevent the lift from happening, you don't need to create downforce to keep the car planted (only in theory, because in reality, there is no way to eliminate 100% of the airflow under the car, so you have shape the car correctly or you will get lift). the more downforce you create, you also create more drag, so it's best to reduce all the lift you can before creating downforce.

does that make sense? I don't think I can explain it any better without mathematical stuff. [&:]
Old 05-24-2006, 04:20 PM
IWinULose
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: suzukidragracer

Ok here goes:

-A sunken head phillips head machine screw through each hole
-Mylar (plastic stuff) washer on top of each hole, below the screw
-A couple small rubber washers to fill the hole (three in the ones closer to the back window cause it's thicker, and two in the others)
-A large rubber washer below each hole to seal it
-A flat washer below the rubber washer to squeeze it against the underside of the trunk
-A nylon-insert lock nut on each screw

I just went to the hardware store, spent a few minutes searching and thinking, then went outside to check for fitment.
So far, no leaks and i've even washed the car.

Vince
Uhm, I went to advance auto and bought 4 nylon body plugs. 2 x 3/8 and 2 x 5/16, and painted the tops and pushed them in...... seems a lot easier to me... lol
Old 05-24-2006, 04:26 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dlazrael

there are only 2 "functional" spoilers for stangs... Cobra R and Steeda race wing. Like said before, they just counter out lift.... The steeda starts around 60 mph and Cobra R around 90 mph...
I beg to differ, on the foxbodies, the 87-93 LX or 85-86 GT spoiler (its not a wing) produces downforce. Granted it doesnt do it until MUCH higher speeds. I replaced my 85GT spoiler with the 87-93GT wing, which I swear produces lift, also at MUCH higher speeds. It was a VERY noticable change, the rear end felt "loose".
And heres the rule of thumb I go by, with a spoiler air cannot pass underneath it (87-93 LX spoiler). A wing has an open slot so air can pass through it (87-93wing). If you think Im wrong put both on your car and drive it at 100+, I guarantee youll feel the difference, and the people that doubt it, well obviously you dont drive fast enough for aerodynamics to matter.
-P.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:24 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

seems to me that if you have a spoiler and it's actually doing anything for handling under normal driving conditions on the freeway (65-75 mph), you are probably losing more fuel economy to the added drag then it would be worth for a dialy driver. but then again, I am not speed racer like so many of our members who race "first to 140 mph" style.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:41 PM
suzukidragracer
2nd Gear Member

All I was saying is that most vehicles do not have any NET downforce acting on it at speed.

Yes, spoilers reduce lift by creating downforce, but most factory spoilers do not create enough to completely counter the lift the car generates. SO, you get a net LIFT effect, meaning the car is pushing down on the ground less than it would if it were standing still.

Also, if you want to decrease LIFT, you DO want to reroute more air UNDER the car, not over. The air under the car has to funnel down to flow underneath the car, therefore speeding up, creating less pressure underneath the car than above it. So the air pressure above the car is higher than underneath it, creating downforce.

Most race cars create a net downforce at high speeds to keep the car stable and provide more weight on the tires (more traction) so it can overcome the high level of inertia the car has at high speeds and turn.

Good example is NASCAR. They want the car to have as little downforce as possible (loose at speed), but still be able to take those left turns. With less downforce, the car should have a lower coefficient of drag and will be able to attain higher top speeds. SO BASICALLY DOWNFORCE SLOWS YOUR CAR DOWN, BUT SOME IS NECESSARY FOR SAFE HANDLING AT HIGH SPEEDS.

Vince
Old 05-24-2006, 06:43 PM
suzukidragracer
2nd Gear Member

Uhm, I went to advance auto and bought 4 nylon body plugs. 2 x 3/8 and 2 x 5/16, and painted the tops and pushed them in...... seems a lot easier to me... lol Damn, that does sound alot easier, I couldn't find any body plugs at the hardware store that would fit!

Oh, and I painted my homemade plugs like you did yours, but like I said, it is just temporary until I get the holes filled and painted.

Vince

Quick Reply: QUestion about spoilers....:)