4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Ugly Automatic Shifter

Old 05-25-2006, 08:56 PM
normanr

Default Ugly Automatic Shifter

Hi all, Im new here. I have an 03 GT converible that I am now about to start some mild mods, exhaust, k&n, etc. Is there anything out there that will replace the stock automatic shift lever? What I like to cal the giraffe? Something about it makes me hate it more everytime I see it.
Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
Norm
Old 05-25-2006, 09:35 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Ugly Automatic Shifter

Welcome to the forum.
I never seen an aftermarket shifter for an auto. Never really looked either. Heres a good shifter **** if thats what you want.
Click link. http://mgwltd.com/mustang_t-style_aod_knob.shtml
Old 05-25-2006, 09:36 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

upr has something for the autos. uprproducts.com, I think. if that's not it, google.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:34 AM
silver03gt
3rd Gear Member

B&M makes a full ratchet shifter for us auto guys, Jegs or summit should have 'em, @ $200
Old 05-26-2006, 01:05 AM
ironh19
3rd Gear Member

I got the shifter from MGW with the pony engraved and the OD button I freakin love it. and it was an easy install.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:51 AM
normanr

Thanks Everybody for your comments,
If I were to put the silver shift **** from MGW on do you think I could cut the shaft of the stock shifter a bit?
Norm
Old 05-26-2006, 10:58 AM
ironh19
3rd Gear Member

the only cutting I had to do was the rubber sleeve around the shaft.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:43 AM
bluepony4.6
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: normanr

Thanks Everybody for your comments,
If I were to put the silver shift **** from MGW on do you think I could cut the shaft of the stock shifter a bit?
Norm
No my friend, you can't cut the actual shifter shaft. The 99-04s auto shifter has two buttons to that have to be pushed in to allow you to shift. The first button is on the side of the shifter handle itself. The second button is on the top of the shaft. When you press the button on the shifter handle, it presses down the button on the top of the stalk allowing you to move the shifter back and forth.

The handle button is actually part of a 2" long plastic stalk that has an round indentation in it. When the button on the shifter handle is not pressed the indentation sits centered on top of the plastic button on the shifter shaft. This allows the button on the shaft to remain fully extended and keeps the shifter locked in place.

When you press the button on the handle, you push the indentation off of the shaft button. This action presses the shaft button down and allows you to shift out of park and into the other gears. So long story short, if you cut the shaft, you lose the shaft button therefore losing the ability to shift out of park. If you get the O/D button, you will have to cut the rubber sleeve. Sorry for the long story. Hope this helps.

Oh, by the way, I have the MGW auto shifter in chrome with the running pony. It's awesome.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:08 PM
normanr

You guys are awsome. Thanks for the help. I think I will go with the MGW.
Thanks
Norm
Old 05-26-2006, 02:50 PM
sandcracker21
4th Gear Member

i forget who it was on this site.....but sum1 had a shifter that was a manual lookin shifter witha boot and sleeve
and it just shifted up and down with an OD button as well

it looked really good, ill try to look for the previous post, but it was a while ago and the search feature here
NEVER works for me

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ugly Automatic Shifter