4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

new mods, and dyno #'s

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 10:02 PM
echoman
2nd Gear Member

Default new mods, and dyno #'s

Hey guys, I finally registered to the forum and I have some questions. I'm not a total newbie to cars, just to the newer computer controlled ones and mustangs. I have now owned my first ever '00 mustang GT AUTO (bone stock except for welded in flows) for a year and a few months.

The car has roughly 56,000 mi. on it and yesterday went to have some work done on it.
The work done is as follows: frpp 4.10 gear; UPR catted x pipe; custom dyno tune by SCT (after the gear and xpipe).

I must admit I was disappointed with my dyno numbers even though I wasn't expecting much, the numbers were worse than expected.
The baseline run I pulled 181 rwhp and 225 rwtq. (After the first pull they said it was running way too lean).
After some tweeking they got me up to 224 rwhp and 265 rwtq.

I know there is more paristitic loss to the wheels with an auto but man, if i did not have the x pipe and tune before i must have been making horrific numbers.

Do I just have a crappy car, or do you guys think those are typical numbers for the mods I have. Also, I suspect the fuel filter needs to be changed b/c its the factory one on it , and the transmission fluid & filter as well. Do you guys think that maybe these filters could hinder the car that much? or not? Sorry for such a long post, hope I did not put you guys to sleep.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:05 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: new mods, and dyno #'s

ORIGINAL: echoman

Hey guys, I finally registered to the forum and I have some questions. I'm not a total newbie to cars, just to the newer computer controlled ones and mustangs. I have now owned my first ever '00 mustang GT AUTO (bone stock except for welded in flows) for a year and a few months.

The car has roughly 56,000 mi. on it and yesterday went to have some work done on it.
The work done is as follows: frpp 4.10 gear; UPR catted x pipe; custom dyno tune by SCT (after the gear and xpipe).

I must admit I was disappointed with my dyno numbers even though I wasn't expecting much, the numbers were worse than expected.
The baseline run I pulled 181 rwhp and 225 rwtq. (After the first pull they said it was running way too lean).
After some tweeking they got me up to 224 rwhp and 265 rwtq.

I know there is more paristitic loss to the wheels with an auto but man, if i did not have the x pipe and tune before i must have been making horrific numbers.

Do I just have a crappy car, or do you guys think those are typical numbers for the mods I have. Also, I suspect the fuel filter needs to be changed b/c its the factory one on it , and the transmission fluid & filter as well. Do you guys think that maybe these filters could hinder the car that much? or not? Sorry for such a long post, hope I did not put you guys to sleep.
I think your numbers are pretty good. The only power mods you have are a X pipe and a tune, and your making what a 5spd does bone stock.

Generally most people say a o/r X can make about 10-11 WHP. I dunno why your tune was so lean from the factory though, mine was acutally rich.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:17 PM
echoman
2nd Gear Member

Thats a whole lot more of a loss of hp with the auto than I expected. I would like to add more performance down low whatcha think about a CAI and throttle body and plenum? Or maybe a set of L/T's?
Old 05-26-2006, 10:22 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

At this point short of FI or nitrous LTs would be your best bet to add power.

What tires are you running? How many miles do you put on the car? A set of drag radials would make a big difference too.

Unfortunatly you will have to trash your old X pipe if you go with LTs, cause you will need a shortie x pipe.

The intake boltons aren't worth a whole lot on a lightly modified N/A car A plenum should make the most power at this point of all the intake stuff, but it will more than likely add power up top rather than down low.

Old 05-26-2006, 10:32 PM
echoman
2nd Gear Member

The tire size is stock, as far as the brand goes there are V rated Triangle Talon, and no I have never heard of them either. But I was in a pinch at the time and they were on sale. I actually haven't had any problems getting traction, there is just a little bit of wheel spin for a split second then I'm off. How would drag radials benefit me?(not trying to sound like a d'bag).
Old 05-26-2006, 10:37 PM
echoman
2nd Gear Member

b/way I am thinking of going w/ a centrifugal blower of some sort in the future, do you know what the autos can put down with one? maybe 360 to 4?
Old 05-26-2006, 11:04 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: echoman

The tire size is stock, as far as the brand goes there are V rated Triangle Talon, and no I have never heard of them either. But I was in a pinch at the time and they were on sale. I actually haven't had any problems getting traction, there is just a little bit of wheel spin for a split second then I'm off. How would drag radials benefit me?(not trying to sound like a d'bag).
If your not having traction problems then the d/r are a moot point.

The RWHP with a blower all depends on your supporting mods and how good of a tune you get. With exhaust and intake boltons you should see between 360 and 400 WHP.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:07 PM
echoman
2nd Gear Member

thanks for the help, its much appreciated 2000GT4.6. [sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 05-26-2006, 11:20 PM
Crazyfast50stang
5th Gear Member

Get some headers along with the CAI , Plenum and TB. Have you looked into advancing your timing? If your looking into a blower go with the Kenny Bell roots type blower. You wont be dissapointed. Good luck and keep us updated.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:45 AM
echoman
2nd Gear Member

those are probably on the mods list next, and i will defin. keep u posted. shouldn't the guys who dyno tuned my car advance the timing when it got tuned? or could there be more?