4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Methanol Boost Coolers

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 04:04 PM
Sebski
2nd Gear Member

Default Methanol Boost Coolers

I was on the snowperformance website looking at these but i still am unsure as to whether they completely replace your fuel system or simply add to it? Also is it similiar to the Kenne bell boost a pump fuel pump only for puposes of intercooling. If anyone knows about this product im jsut curious to learn more.

Also are they safe and recomendable or what?
Old 05-27-2006, 04:13 PM
LvGordo
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Methanol Boost Coolers

well, i too have been following nanaki's install of this. It seems just to add to your air intake to cool the charge much like nitrous only less so. teh supplied pump is for the injection only and it seems the way to do it is to tap the washer fluid tank as it is larger than the supplied one. I think the way it can cause problems if you let the tank run dry and that is because with teh cooler charge you can run more timing. But w/o the charge and more timing, you are looking at trouble. I am curious as to how often the tank needs to be filled. nanaki was claiming 40 extra horse on his blower with the system, for $400, that is a hella nice return. My car is having my vortech installed as we speak and depends on hte numbers it throws down, i may kick for it too. plus just saying "methanol injected" sounds cool
Old 05-27-2006, 05:56 PM
Sebski
2nd Gear Member

Yea it does, IM taking then that methanol and nitrous is jsut too much chemicals in the engine then?
Old 05-27-2006, 06:19 PM
LvGordo
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sebski

Yea it does, IM taking then that methanol and nitrous is jsut too much chemicals in the engine then?
well i am not sure what you are getting at. unless you are saying spraying in a bunch of stuff other than fuel and air will start to be an issue? Not sure. It seems like it would be a small amount compared to the a/f mix that as long as you maintained that 12 or 13:1, whatever you should run, it should be fine. but i still consider myself a novice at this and just go by what i have read. Wonder if you start dumping more stuff, at what point do you have to upgrade your ignition to make sure you can burn all that? if i throw less than 400 to the wheels with my set-up [:@], i will either shoot my tuner or get the snow system, or perhaps both.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:37 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

I was on the snowperformance website looking at these but i still am unsure as to whether they completely replace your fuel system or simply add to it? Also is it similiar to the Kenne bell boost a pump fuel pump only for puposes of intercooling. If anyone knows about this product im jsut curious to learn more.

Also are they safe and recomendable or what?
It has absolutly nothing to do with the fuel system. The methanol injection just sprays a mixture of water and window cleaner into the intake tract. This lowers intake temperature and allows you to run more timing on a supercharged car.

It will show little or no gain on a n/a car. I do not think you will see any gains with nitrous either, as N20 chills the intake charge as well (some use a small N20 shot as a boost cooler)
Old 05-27-2006, 08:41 PM
Sebski
2nd Gear Member

soo what where you saying that there will be no affect with with nitrous I.E. it will the coolent and the nitrous cancel eachother out, or it is purely bennificial?

whats your opinions of this stuff, im not intent on gettin it cuzz i dont have a s/c YET soon hopefully but simply jsut curious, something about the Methanol seems kinda cool
Old 05-27-2006, 09:03 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

soo what where you saying that there will be no affect with with nitrous I.E. it will the coolent and the nitrous cancel eachother out, or it is purely bennificial?

whats your opinions of this stuff, im not intent on gettin it cuzz i dont have a s/c YET soon hopefully but simply jsut curious, something about the Methanol seems kinda cool
I don't see how a nitrous car could benifit.

they won't"cancel each other out", but nitrous already acts as a coolant. A supercharger or turbo heats up the air ALOT when developing boost, nitrous does not. My supercharger is too hot to touch and hold onto after even a pretty short drive. Its the nature of compressing air.

This is why a intercooler is good for a blower car. It cools the air off after being run thru the blower, allowing you to run more timing and make more power at the same boost level. It allows you to run more timing without increasing the danger of detonation. Detonation is usually terminal on a stock 4.6L shortblock

A intercooler of any type (chemical or mechanical) will not allow you to do this with nitrous, as nitrous does not heat up the intake air.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:08 PM
Sebski
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

they won't"cancel each other out", but nitrous already acts as a coolant. A supercharger or turbo heats up the air ALOT when developing boost, nitrous does not. My supercharger is too hot to touch and hold onto after even a pretty short drive. Its the nature of compressing air.

This is why a intercooler is good for a blower car. It cools the air off after being run thru the blower, allowing you to run more timing and make more power at the same boost level. It allows you to run more timing without increasing the danger of detonation. Detonation is usually terminal on a stock 4.6L shortblock

A intercooler of any type (chemical or mechanical) will not allow you to do this with nitrous, as nitrous does not heat up the intake air.
That last sentence sorry if this is jsut dumb beyond blonde but ahh, are u sayin nitrous is fine as noo extra heat is created?
Old 05-27-2006, 09:19 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

That last sentence sorry if this is jsut dumb beyond blonde but ahh, are u sayin nitrous is fine as noo extra heat is created?
Nitrous does not compress the air, and it does not heat up the intake tract. It acutally cools the intake charge even on a n/a car.

Understand this: If you build pressure, you increase heat. If you release pressure, you decrease heat. When nitrous goes from the high levels of pressure it is stored in the tank/lines to the low pressure in the intake tract and cyl, it is made very cold. This cools the intake charge.

All you are doing with a supercharger is squeezing more air molecules in the same space you had before. More air means more fuel (to keep the a/f ratio ideal) so you make more power.

All nitrous does is do this chemically. Nitrous isn't fuel, it will not burn, it is an oxidiser. You add more fuel just like on a blower car.

Maybe someone who remebers their highschool science classes a little better can explain it more clearly.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:21 PM
Sebski
2nd Gear Member

right right, i hear u Captain... Im sitll in highschool but me and chemistry = [:'(].

Quick Reply: Methanol Boost Coolers