4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

car is missing

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 12:50 AM
JayBanion
3rd Gear Member

Default car is missing

I came home from work and my car ran great would rev up no problem. Washed the car then went out to my buddys house. Car ran great till about half way there then it started missin real bad. I thought it could possibly be a injector cloged or something so i thew some injector cleaner in it and filled it up wihe 93. Drove some where about a 1 away went thew about a half tank of gas came home and it was still missin pretty bad. It could be a plug so I will check that tommorow, but if it is not a plug what else could it be.

Also I am going to replace the plugs anyway so what brand do you guys like best. Its a 98' GT.

Thanks
Old 05-29-2006, 01:03 AM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: car is missing

Coil on one of the plugs it may be.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:03 AM
willyd465
3rd Gear Member

my car was missin bad a few weeks ago, turns out it was the coil, does the 98 have coil over plug or coil packs?
Old 05-29-2006, 01:08 AM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

Didnt realize it was a 98. They dont have coils on each plug. They have coil packs. Sorry, my bad.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:16 AM
JayBanion
3rd Gear Member

Tommorow I will check the plugs...is it me or does ford like to leave you no room to change plugs between the fenderwell and the motor. Could a part of the coil pack go bad and only affect once cylinder or would it affect 4? Any plug brand recomendations?
Old 05-29-2006, 01:21 AM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

Check your wires too. I would go with NGK TR55 plugs.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:23 AM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

do you remember doing anything in your engine bay before this happened? you said you washed it, is it possible you got any water in your engine bay? some random misses i had were: coolant in the spark plugs, vacuum leak, exhaust leak, bad coilpack ground, wrong firing order on coil pack, plug boot not snapped in all the way. trying to think of what else ive had. id check the little things first like i mentioned. if water got into your plugs or anything, that would only last a little bit but if your head gasket is leaking coolant or something.. anyway, start with the plugs and check your vacuum lines and plug wires/coilpacks.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:15 PM
JayBanion
3rd Gear Member

alright, this morning started up the car ran good till it heated up. Then I went to check the plugs later along and popped off the boot to the plug and plug socket is filled with coolant, same with the other 3 cylinders on the same side. I instantly thought, oh **** not a headgasket. But I checked and there was no coolent in the oil so it couldnt be a head gasket right? Then I remembered hearing the crappy plastic intake manifold on a 98' Gt cracking. So would this be the cause. And also did they have a recall on these intakes.

Thanks
Old 05-29-2006, 07:25 PM
LvGordo
4th Gear Member

i thought by your post topic, someone stole your car...
Old 05-29-2006, 07:57 PM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JayBanion

alright, this morning started up the car ran good till it heated up. Then I went to check the plugs later along and popped off the boot to the plug and plug socket is filled with coolant, same with the other 3 cylinders on the same side. I instantly thought, oh **** not a headgasket. But I checked and there was no coolent in the oil so it couldnt be a head gasket right? Then I remembered hearing the crappy plastic intake manifold on a 98' Gt cracking. So would this be the cause. And also did they have a recall on these intakes.

Thanks
i figured it was coolant, it always causes trouble. check around your thermostat housing for a crack, i do believe you are covered still for the warranty, im not sure when it expires though. when my intake cracked it took me a few days to nottice because it started out small, but it sprayed all over the drivers side plugs/wires. if youre still running the plastic crossover towards the front of the engine, replace your intake. even if its not the leak it will be eventually.

Quick Reply: car is missing