4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Convertible question

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 02:04 PM
d3mon
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Convertible question

ORIGINAL: shadowfoxx

my friend just changed my top 2 weeks ago... long story.. anyway i asked him the same question cuz i have seen that happen in a bunch of convertible camaros when i drive next to them...if you see in the middle of the top there is a bar across of it, a part of the vinyl top is glued an stappled to that bar, sometimes it gets loose so when you go fast like in the highway, air goes underneat it making the top look round, is an easy fix, take the front part of the top apart and get some upholstery glue and some heavy duty stapples and do it yourself
WRONG... air does not get underneath it......the air inside the car is static and the air outside the car is moving fast.. fast moving air above an object and static air in an object will create lift.. (like the hollow wing of a aircraft). If the vert top is not held down in a particular area then the lift created from moving fast will literally pull the top up creating that bubble effect.... I wound not worry about it.. pretty much every cloth top vert on every type of car will have some type of bubble when moving fast because of the lift created outside the car.
well physics professor thats what my friend the expert in upsholtery told me, i know every vert has it but some are worst, and is because of what someone that works with top every single day said, i guess he may know something more than you do in tha matter dont you think???
Old 05-30-2006, 02:13 PM
shadowfoxx
3rd Gear Member

well physics professor thats what my friend the expert in upsholtery told me, i know every vert has it but some are worst, and is because of what someone that works with top every single day said, i guess he may know something more than you do in tha matter dont you think???
I don't need to think.. I KNOW he's wrong... I'm not saying that his suggestion on how to correct the problem is not going to work.. glue and staples would hold the cloth down thus eliminating the outside wind from lifting it up …however, his theory of why it bubbles up is wrong.. his expertise is with the fabric and how to stop it from bubbling up.. but is obviously not on how it is caused…

and for you to initially believe him is fine as that is the only information presented to you... so at the time you had no reason not to belive him.. but I can tell you that lift is definetly the reason why you get the bubble... inside air does not push the top up.. the outside air pulls it up.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:17 PM
d3mon
3rd Gear Member

ok dude whatever, i guess the point is he fixes the sh*t so i will listen to him not you imo
Old 05-30-2006, 02:21 PM
shadowfoxx
3rd Gear Member

ok dude whatever, i guess the point is he fixes the sh*t so i will listen to him not you imo
thats perfectly fine.. to each their own.. but you may want to double check with him to see if he is as confident with his reasoning as you are. [sm=icon_rofl.gif]
Old 05-30-2006, 02:38 PM
d3mon
3rd Gear Member

as i said, why to listen to you when this guy fixes the stuff, and has been doing it for 10 years, i guess i'm confident to listen to him not you buddy
Old 05-30-2006, 03:25 PM
shadowfoxx
3rd Gear Member

[sm=laughat.gif] ignorance is bliss
Old 05-30-2006, 05:29 PM
d3mon
3rd Gear Member

thats me laughing at you right cuz i am [sm=laughat.gif]
Old 05-30-2006, 05:35 PM
shadowfoxx
3rd Gear Member

thats me laughing at you right cuz i am
thats original.. [sm=bustedsign.gif]
Old 05-30-2006, 05:39 PM
d3mon
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: shadowfoxx

thats me laughing at you right cuz i am
thats original.. [sm=bustedsign.gif]
[sm=icon_blah.gif] this is getting old so why you just shut up [sm=lame.gif]
Old 05-30-2006, 06:17 PM
shadowfoxx
3rd Gear Member

this is getting old so why you just shut up
man.. trying to train a monkey is not easy folks..

again... your friends answer on how to fix the issue is not wrong.. for the third time.. glue and staples will hold the top down.. and will not be that noticeable assuming that it is done right. I was bringing his reasoning into question not his answer on how to fix it. I am simply explaining that air does not get underneath it blowing it into a bulge.. I was simply explaining to the person who started this thread the reason on why a canvas topped car get a bulge.. based on my explanation a person with half a brain could assume that if you pull on canvas and its not held down it will pull up.. thus the bulge.. and answering the "why" question to the starter of this thread..... the way to fix it .. hold the canvas down.. i.e. your friends glue and staples idea...

now go fling some more poo and leave me alone.

Quick Reply: Convertible question