4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

i have the greatest luck in the world!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 06:28 PM
straitwangin
4th Gear Member

Default i have the greatest luck in the world!!

well i have a small metal piece lodged in my front right tire. and i took it to discount tire to have them take the wheel off and patch the insde. i get there and realize i dont have the key locks.

so i went bback to my house and i can not find the key. now its gonna cost about 60 bucks per wheel to have all the locks taken off. and the bullit wheels are gonna get all scratched up.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:29 PM
baldwinsgt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: i have the greatest luck in the world!!

Thats sucks dude. I dont know of any way to get them off either.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:31 PM
IWinULose
4th Gear Member

The locks should have came with a tag that has a serial number and telephone number, and you should be able to call and get the replacement key.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:32 PM
straitwangin
4th Gear Member

the really funny this is when i bought the car the previous owner goes oh wait here u need this socket to get the keys off. and i was just thinking to my self i am sooooo gonna lose it and look what happened.

i have already been to my schools auto shop and tried getting it off by using this wheel key removal tool. obously no luck with that one.

any other suggestions.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:33 PM
JonBeast

60 bucks a wheel? wtf, when I got my new tires, they couldn't find my key so they just busted them off....60 bucks a tire? BS
Old 05-30-2006, 06:36 PM
straitwangin
4th Gear Member

discount tire quoted me that price a few hours ago, and the shop manager repeatly told me that if they take the locks off they were going to scratch the wheels up.

since they are black bullits its gonna look like complete **** if they do it.

and i dont have the tag with the lock on it so i cant call the company, someone else suggessted i go to ford, but since there aftermarket wheels i dont know how that would work.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:03 PM
wpaskar
2nd Gear Member

I went through this with my car this last weekend...a ford dealer didn't even give me the damn key (getting my money for removal back from them, or I am sueing). My mechanic went through hell to find someone who could get them off without wrecking my bullitt OE rims, but he suceeeded and my wheels are fine. I am not sure who or how they did it however. I encourage you to check around instead of ****ing your rims. I wish you good luck.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:04 PM
Rench
1st Gear Member

PLEASE DON'T LET THOSE GUYS TOUCH YOUR CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can get a set of these for less than one wheel at their price Socket kit and you wont scratch your wheels.

Also in a pinch, you can knock the appropriate size 12 point socket on it with a hammer (mine took a 19mm 1/2" drive)
and that will work too. Of course you would need 4 sockets, cause your not getting 'em back off. But that's still way cheaper than 60 bucks a wheel plus scratches.................

I have used both metods with 100 percent success.

The socket method was employed when the shop at work was locked up and I couldn't get to my tools.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:08 PM
wpaskar
2nd Gear Member

The problem with the smashing a socket on thing is this...if you screw it up and strip the nut, then you are REALLY up sh*t creek...it depends on the shape of the locking lugnut
Old 05-30-2006, 07:11 PM
Rench
1st Gear Member

Worse that happens if the socket slips the socket comes off...........................

Quick Reply: i have the greatest luck in the world!!