4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

how would i make my own tuner

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 07:01 PM
travisl1213
4th Gear Member

Default how would i make my own tuner

theres alot of talk about hand held tuners, and i want to use my laptop for it. is there a software that i can buy and install on my cpu and it will do the same as a tuner and maybe more. my laptop is small and i could just plug it in my car when i want to change somthing. does anyone know where to get this kind of stuff, i would also need a cable to plug in. i know there has to be someway because u see it in movies alot, and yes i know there just movies but most of the times, u can do simialr things in real life
Old 05-30-2006, 07:56 PM
IWinULose
4th Gear Member

Default RE: how would i make my own tuner

Well. Yes and no. You could get tuning software which will probably be 4 or 5 times the price of a handheld tuner and install it on your laptop. But without a wideband air to fuel meter and a safe way to rev the car with a load(dyno) you are going to be wasting money. As far as the handhelds, they can be plugged into your laptop, and log certain types of data. Basically, that's why there are 2 real world options on tuning. Handheld tuners and dyno tunes. If you want the best, get you a Diablo or SCT and go to the nearest shop and get a custom tune.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:29 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: travisl1213

theres alot of talk about hand held tuners, and i want to use my laptop for it. is there a software that i can buy and install on my cpu and it will do the same as a tuner and maybe more. my laptop is small and i could just plug it in my car when i want to change somthing. does anyone know where to get this kind of stuff, i would also need a cable to plug in. i know there has to be someway because u see it in movies alot, and yes i know there just movies but most of the times, u can do simialr things in real life
Unless you plan on big horsepower it will be major overkill.

I have never seen a program for sale on the internet or IRL, so I dunno where you would even start, and you would need a basline program to start tuning with unless you can set it all up.

Just get a handheld. They are cheaper, the work is done for you, and its not like you need to be changing things on the fly anyway.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:30 PM
M1ke
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: IWinULose

Well. Yes and no. You could get tuning software which will probably be 4 or 5 times the price of a handheld tuner and install it on your laptop. But without a wideband air to fuel meter and a safe way to rev the car with a load(dyno) you are going to be wasting money. As far as the handhelds, they can be plugged into your laptop, and log certain types of data. Basically, that's why there are 2 real world options on tuning. Handheld tuners and dyno tunes. If you want the best, get you a Diablo or SCT and go to the nearest shop and get a custom tune.
ditto

the reason why they sell handheld tuners is cause its a faster and cost effective way to "tune" the car. to get a good tune, you need a way to get the tune on the car, a human to tune it with software, and a dyno to test and retune.
with the tuner, someone already used the software and dyno to find the best stable tune and put it in a box so all you have to do is load it up.