4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Longevity of a GT

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 09:47 PM
jcdavis
1st Gear Member

Default Longevity of a GT

I sold my 2000 GT about 6 months ago and purchased a 2001 Maxima SE because I have a 80mi round trip commut to work. The Maxima is nice, but not at all fun. I live in the Mountains of NC and my commute is on two lane pig trails and I am sick I sold my GT. I was thinking that the Maxima will last long when the miles start to rack up. Am I correct in this thinking? I would love someone to talk me into getting another GT. Can a GT go the same amount of miles as a Maxima? I plan on keeping the car and running the wheels off of my next car.

Thanks,

JD
Old 05-30-2006, 09:50 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Longevity of a GT

not sure about the maxima, but I have seen 4.6L v8s go well over 200k when left stock and maintained properly. Most guys with mustangs either blow them up because they mod the hell out of them, or they sell them because they are onto bigger better things.

My 97 has 112000 on the clock and the only problem is the valve stem seals, which is a problem mainly with the NPI 4.6s.

someone who knows about maximas chime in, because i know of many GT mustangs with 100k+ and have seen the 4.6s go to near 300k.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:50 PM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

your good for 150K+
Old 05-30-2006, 09:56 PM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

Considering that I'm a domestic car biased I would say the GT.... But it all comes down to how the car was taken car of. Also if its a used or brand new car. If its a new car, you know that you are the only owner and you know how well you take care of her. If its used, you never know if the previous owner dogged the crap out of her like my GT. Oh and of course how you drive her. If you got the Nissan just for the commutes and don't throttle her every 10 secounds, as opposed to testing out all the after market parts or power adders on your GT, of course that Nissan will last longer. Now just my opionion, and not to bust butt on American Engerineering but Domestic motors, unless its a GM, are not quiet built as well as some of our European or Japanese counter parts. Again, take care of her and she'll take care of you.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:09 PM
jcdavis
1st Gear Member

I know typically speaking the Nissan will last a very long time. I guess my question should have been is it uncommon to see a 200k Mustang. Monkeydude mentioned the "S" word...STOCK. Would minor bolt on's be included in stock?
Old 05-30-2006, 10:17 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

with an aggressive tune, and hard driving, im sure the life of any engine will decrease. the 4.6 holds up with any other motor, considering it even hits the 100K's when beat on with mods. common sense will prevent a shortened life span on any vehicle.

Old 05-30-2006, 10:19 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

My winter beater is a 96 maxima gle (nicknamed the booze cruiser). Its not as much fun as the mustang but it takes one HELL of a beating and keeps going with minimal mantinence (oil changes when i feel like it and thats about it). I definately have more problems with my mustang but its also way for fun to drive and definately easier to pound on.

Ive run the maxima through a stand of trees, shifted the hell out of the auto tranny, neutral drops etc and it runs like a champ. come to think of it every foreign car ive owned takes a beating and works flawlessly with minimal mantinence. btw the maxima has over 100k miles on it. Not sure how many though since the odometer works when it feels like it, which also contributes to my lack of oil changes. it had a scheduled timing belt change, coolant flush fill etc at 60k and thats it. so yes, the maxima will last a long time.

Like everyone else said, if you take care of it it will definately last to 200k plus miles.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:32 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jcdavis

I sold my 2000 GT about 6 months ago and purchased a 2001 Maxima SE because I have a 80mi round trip commut to work. The Maxima is nice, but not at all fun. I live in the Mountains of NC and my commute is on two lane pig trails and I am sick I sold my GT. I was thinking that the Maxima will last long when the miles start to rack up. Am I correct in this thinking? I would love someone to talk me into getting another GT. Can a GT go the same amount of miles as a Maxima? I plan on keeping the car and running the wheels off of my next car.

Thanks,

JD
Gotta think your wallet is much more friendly with the maxima on gas milage though....
Old 05-30-2006, 10:40 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

My 02 is paid for so if I by any chance blow the motor it'll give me a reasonable excuse to go four valve but situations change and my grocery getter is an acura but because my car's paid for that would be the deciding factor with me, my budget. Honestly if you take care of your car and dont abuse her too much almost anyone can squess 150k out of any vehicle, but I'd always thought people with long commutes get more mileage because they are always driving but what do I know I just drive 2 miles to my job because I live on post
Old 05-30-2006, 10:51 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

You could always supercharge the Maxima... The kits are fairly inexpensive, but you have to run on 93 all the time...

But who would truly want to have 300+hp on a FWD anyway??

JT

Quick Reply: Longevity of a GT