4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

bad u-joints?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 08:22 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

Default bad u-joints?

rear end of car on jacks...while i move the rear wheels back and forth they click, and they clunk if you do it hard enough, quite ugly sounding. would this be my u-joints saying help me? sounds like its from the front of the drive shaft. the rear does it too but not as bad. i definitely dont wanna have to replace a yoke/spline. any input will be appreciated, thanks.

Old 05-31-2006, 08:27 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Default RE: bad u-joints?

It sounds like you're spinning the tranny to the point of engagement...

Best way to check is physically grab the driveshaft, and shake it back and forth (while it's still on the car). This will usually show slop/slack in the u-joints..

Also, do you get any vibrations at highway speeds, or a high pitched whining??? That could also be an indicator...

JT
Old 05-31-2006, 08:35 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

k so i got under the car, moved the drive shift back and forth, and the sounds definitely coming from the tranny (automatic).

theres even a tiny bit of play on the shaft going in the tranny where i can move it around, and i mean minimal. dont know if thats normal, nor the clicking sound, which im sure its not.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:37 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

mmm i hope that clicking is just the point of engagement. the driveshaft barely has any movement, as far as spinning.

highway speeds have gotten a little rough but it could be from my stock struts, and mildly bent rim that was still able to get balanced due to a leaking rear shock that i happily replaced. struts are next, then rims =p

anyways, thanks so far for your input.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:38 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

oh and it was weird how the sound echod through the drive shaft to the rear wheel, much differently than the left, messed w/ my mind =)
Old 05-31-2006, 08:43 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

The shaft that comes out of the back of the tranny is called a Tail-Shaft. It should have a little (fractional) bit of play, but shouldn't just wiggle freely all over the place... Sounds semi-normal to me..

How many miles on your car?? How many hard miles??

JT
Old 05-31-2006, 08:51 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

73,000 miles, i dont drive her rough too often. but the shift kit does =p

i have a neighbor who does tranny work at his shop, and if the tail shaft or w/e can be removed easily, without digging all far into the tranny ,that would be sweet, and i'd replace it. otherwise ill live with it till it breaks, or i plan a tranny rebuild. he'll do the work for 40$ an hour if i bring him parts, which is sweet.

as far as it moving around (up, down, left right) its the most minimal movement that a human could feel.

the sound, is hard to determine, it echoes all over, and its definitely a click, not a clunk. same exact sound when you spin either way.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:33 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

when my u joints went, they did not get loose. one bearing race on the front one dried up/rusted out and proceeded to make a hideous squeal under hard accel.... best way is take drive shaft out and move both u joints in all the directions and see how smooth/loose/tight any of them are.

George
Old 05-31-2006, 09:44 PM
yellowjacket01
2nd Gear Member

hey guys im getting around the same problem but on a standard, its got about 86,000 miles on it.The tranny was going out and ford replaced the syncros,then while replacing the 4.10's i got the diff rebuilt,still it pops and it makes weird noises in 2nd and reverse is hard to engage.Also having problems around 90 making whining noises and front end shaking,any advice?
Old 05-31-2006, 09:47 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: yellowjacket01

hey guys im getting around the same problem but on a standard, its got about 86,000 miles on it.The tranny was going out and ford replaced the syncros,then while replacing the 4.10's i got the diff rebuilt,still it pops and it makes weird noises in 2nd and reverse is hard to engage.Also having problems around 90 making whining noises and front end shaking,any advice?

The popping noise could be that they didn't add Friction Modifier to the rear diff.. I would think that Ford would be smart enough to do so though...

The whining and shaking around 90 could be a bad wheel bearing though... It's hard to say...

JT

Quick Reply: bad u-joints?