4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

supercharger help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 05:41 AM
badboystangGT
2nd Gear Member

Default supercharger help!!

I was wondering could the stock 03-04 supercharger fit on my 98GT?? if it does what else would i need?
Old 06-01-2006, 06:39 AM
orange04
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: supercharger help!!

I could be wrong, bit I think it goes like this....

The 03/04 Cobra blower manifold mates up to the 4v Cobra heads. That means it has 2 intake ports per cylinder, and the GT only has 1. See how thats a problem? I do believe however, that the supercharger ONLY will bolt to a SALEEN blower manifold. You would need the SALEEN manifold, a Cobra blower, injectors, fuel pump, tune, probably more, but its late, so I can't think. In all actuality it would be just as easy if not easier to buy a used complete kit. It would be hard to find a SALEEN manifold used without a blower already attached to it...ya know....?
Old 06-01-2006, 10:03 PM
badboystangGT
2nd Gear Member

Yea i know what you mean its cause theres a roush supercharger on ebay with manifold it says its for a 99 and up 2v would that work on my 98 non pi? I need help i'm looking for a twin screw supercharger i want a used one but i doubt i can find one i talked to my mechanic today and he told me he could do the whole PI swap heads intake cam port and polished all for just $1000 should i do that instead? or try to get blown??? any suggestions??
Old 06-01-2006, 10:39 PM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

If money isn't an issue, I would recommend a Kenne Bell twin screw blower and the PI head/intake swap. If money is an issue, I'd personally go with the PI heads/intake for now and save up for the blower as the PI heads will perform better under boost than what you have now.

As far as putting the stock Cobra blower on your GT, you'll need 4v heads, intake manifold, injectors, air mass sensor and throttle body off of a Cobra and definitely a tune or custom chip. You'll probably run into fuel supply problems with your GT fuel pump as well. Just remember, your GT doesn't have the forged rods and pistons like the blown Cobras have. The N/A Cobras, (pre-03), do not have the forged internals as well. I personally wouldn't run more than 14 psi (500 rwh), on a GT with a stock bottom end.

But, that's all just my opinion.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:51 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT_Bob

If money isn't an issue, I would recommend a Kenne Bell twin screw blower and the PI head/intake swap. If money is an issue, I'd personally go with the PI heads/intake for now and save up for the blower as the PI heads will perform better under boost than what you have now.

As far as putting the stock Cobra blower on your GT, you'll need 4v heads, intake manifold, injectors, air mass sensor and throttle body off of a Cobra and definately a tune or custom chip. Just remember, your GT doesn't have the forged rods and pistons like the blown Cobras have. The N/A Cobras, (pre-03), do not have the forged internals as well. I personally wouldn't run more than 14 psi (500 rwh), on a GT with a stock bottom end.

But, that's all just my opinion.
14 PSI is suicide on a stock 2v engine. It MIGHT not blow on the dyno but its only a matter of time.

No 2v will make 500 WHP on the stock bottom end assembly, no matter what setup. I feel like I am pushing matters at 10 PSI and 415~ WHP. I have seen people make 450 RWHP on a intercooled blower setup, and a super badass tune, but that is pushing it right to the limit. In any case, 14 PSI isn't gonna get you to 500 WHP with a stock engine and boltons anyway.

Also, it is generally regarded as a bad idea to do a PI swap on a car that is going to see boost. Doing the PI swap on a NPI car raises the compression ratio, limting the amount of boost you can run and increasing the chances of detonation etc.

On the orginal topic, the 03/04 cobra blower will not mate up to a 2v engine. So far as I know NONE of the aftermarket (salleen/roush etc) lowers will pull this off.

Regardless, the 03/04 blower would be nearly useless on a NPI GT. I cannot imagine that you would make much if anything over 300 WHP with this blower and your stock heads/intake. Even a PI car will see minimal gains, as this is NOT a twin screw but a roots style, and a inefficent one at that.

The 4v cobras are able to make so much power with this blower because the heads/intake flow so well, and the cams are setup for a blower. Not to mention that the engine already makes alot more power than any 2v (PI or NPI) n/a
Old 06-02-2006, 10:09 PM
badboystangGT
2nd Gear Member

cool thanks for all the info i think i decided to go for the full PI swap with port and polished and then the blower it makes sense
Old 06-02-2006, 10:17 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: badboystangGT

cool thanks for all the info i think i decided to go for the full PI swap with port and polished and then the blower it makes sense
I think you need to talk to some performance shops before you do this. I know that the compression is raised with the PI swap, which is not ideal for a supercharged engine.

I think you can get away with it but you should talk to someone that has done it. Many people on here do not recommend a supercharged PI swap car.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:42 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

I think you need to talk to some performance shops before you do this. I know that the compression is raised with the PI swap, which is not ideal for a supercharged engine.

I think you can get away with it but you should talk to someone that has done it. Many people on here do not recommend a supercharged PI swap car.

I'm wondering why a guy with PI heads and a blower is telling a guy with NPI heads not to get PI heads and a blower.
Check out Kenne Bell web site my man. They have done their homework on the 4.6 I'm not trying to dis anyone nor am I trying to present myself as a know it all, but I'd trust a company like Kenne Bell before I'd listen to 97% of the people here when it comes to KB twin screws and the 4.6

No punches there 2000GT4.6, JMO

Old 06-03-2006, 12:51 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT_Bob

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

I'm wondering why a guy with PI heads and a blower is telling a guy with NPI heads not to get PI heads and a blower.
Check out Kenne Bell web site my man. They have done their homework on the 4.6 I'm not trying to dis anyone nor am I trying to present myself as a know it all, but I'd trust a company like Kenne Bell before I'd listen to 97% of the people here when it comes to KB twin screws and the 4.6

No punches there 2000GT4.6, JMO

Because when you do a PI swap on a NPI engine it raises the compression ratio (higher than a regular PI engine).

Higher compression = bad for supercharging.

Edit: On a side note I think you need to read a couple posts up. talked about this and how a stock 4.6L 2v is gonna go POP if you run 14 PSI or more than about 440~ RWHP

Also, getting all your information about a aftermarket item from the people who are attempting to sell you said item is not the best idea in the world. I think the turbonator website is proof positive of that