4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What RPM do Blowers start to kick in?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 04:33 PM
01roush33
1st Gear Member

Default RE: What RPM do Blowers start to kick in?

i know that the eaton superchargers (roots) have a built in bypass valve. So, if one is to accelerate normal (even up to 4-5k) there will be no boost. When you accelerate fast the bypass valve closes, and the boost picks up. So, it makes more boost at lower RPMs, and is great for daily driving under normal conditions.

Old 06-02-2006, 09:55 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: I_AV8_4U

Hey Stever...
The only experience I have with hairdryers was a Roots style 300 cfm Sebring that I had on a 1.8l MX-5. It didn't have the "turbo" lag of the centrifugal types, which I liked. It really felt like a v-8...a continuous powerband, if you will. I am assuming that it would be the same feeling on the V-8s. If you can afford it, I'de spring for a Roots. But, hell, ANY blower would rock!
BTW, I beat the hell out of it b-4 and after the supercharger. I got 30 MPG no matter what I did. Someone with one on a Stang could prolly let you know how it affects their MPG.
Good luck,
Troy
There is no such thing as "turbo lag" on a centrifugal blower. Turbo lag is what happens when you have a large turbo on a car and it takes awhile for the turbo to spin up, and start making power.

This is why you often see cars like supras etc that are very slow off the line or even from a 1st/2nd gear roll. The first couple of short gears do not allow the car enough time to get the turbo fully spooled, so you get "lag".

A centrifugal blower will make full power in every gear. There is no "lag".

WOT at any RPM in 1st or 2nd gear of my car (with the tires cold anyway) results in instant tire spin all the way to redline. There is no "lag". The only difference in the blowers is that if you start off in a higher gear (3/4/5) at low RPM the centrifugal will not have the instant pull of a twin screw or eaton, because it does not make the low end torque. However, throttle response is not effected, and the car will instantly make boost if you are in the proper (3000~ + ) rpm range.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:45 PM
I_AV8_4U
1st Gear Member

Hey 2000...

"The only difference in the blowers is that if you start off in a higher gear (3/4/5) at low RPM the centrifugal will not have the instant pull of a twin screw or eaton, because it does not make the low end torque. However, throttle response is not effected, and the car will instantly make boost if you are in the proper (3000~ + ) rpm range. "

The "lag" I was refering to was the lag you said 'you' even get below 3000 rpm. By design, cintrafugal blowers/turbos are not instantanious in their spool rate. It does take (depending on the cfm) a bit for the blower to come to speed, which is where most of the power lies. That is why some cars that are twin screwed, will have a smaller primary ( to bite quicker) befor that air is spun in the secondary- this will effectively reduce most lag. If all you get is tire spin, try a wider tire with a taller sidewall for better tracion - you should feel the "lag" then! If you still don't feel the lag, then cool...that is the ideal set-up.
Troy
Old 06-05-2006, 11:58 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: I_AV8_4U

Hey 2000...

"The only difference in the blowers is that if you start off in a higher gear (3/4/5) at low RPM the centrifugal will not have the instant pull of a twin screw or eaton, because it does not make the low end torque. However, throttle response is not effected, and the car will instantly make boost if you are in the proper (3000~ + ) rpm range. "

The "lag" I was refering to was the lag you said 'you' even get below 3000 rpm. By design, cintrafugal blowers/turbos are not instantanious in their spool rate. It does take (depending on the cfm) a bit for the blower to come to speed, which is where most of the power lies. That is why some cars that are twin screwed, will have a smaller primary ( to bite quicker) befor that air is spun in the secondary- this will effectively reduce most lag. If all you get is tire spin, try a wider tire with a taller sidewall for better tracion - you should feel the "lag" then! If you still don't feel the lag, then cool...that is the ideal set-up.
Troy
its not "lag" and has nothing to do with lag. Turbos will experence lag even if they start off in their powerband. AKA if you start a turbo off at 5000 on your GT and punch it it will still take time to spool up and develop boost.

If you do the same thing on a centrifgual car it will pull instantly (as soon as you apply throttle).

A centrifugal does not have to spool up like a turbo. The blower is belt driven, so if you are experenceing lag or "spooling" it means your belt is slipping, and thats a bad thing.

A centrifugal is simply designed to develop more and more boost as the RPMs rise. A twin screw unit is designed to develop boost at any RPM. But once again there is no "lag" and it does not take a "bit of time" for the blower to come to speed. like I said, if it is doing this your about to melt a belt