4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

valve seal job aborted

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 04:20 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Default valve seal job aborted

[:@][:@][:@]

well I"m pretty furious right now. I took off the valve covers and everything and as I'm startin to pump up the first cylinder with air, what to my surprise but I hear a nice loud "psssssssssssssss" coming from inside the engine. So my GD engine can't even hold 50-80 psi of a compressor. So fu** it. I'm about to put it all back together and say screw the valve seals and screw ressurecting this engine any furthur. I am feeling very disheartened by this car and losing all enthusiasm towards my mustang. I did a compression and leakdown test before and all was fine. Now for some reason my car decided to be an a$$.

Now I guess it's time to start saving for an engine... ::sigh::

Anyone else have projects go sour???

Oh yeah, ford instructional devices, alldata, and shopkey can all suck my di**. They all describe AND SHOW replacing these seals as a relatively simple task. Once you get in there, I KNOW that the only way to do the valve seals properly is to remove the heads and rebuild the heads. I am very good at doing engine work it's just that the way the 4.6L SOHC head is setup, it would be like cake to work on it out of the car but it's an absolute bi*** in the car.

SOOO i'm just gonna keep the oil full and wait until this engine gives up.

FUGGIN FORD!!! (sorry to ford enthusiasts) this is just very annoying as I had the makings of a great writeup going

anyone have any reccomendations for a good engine company? i don't want anything special other than an engine that can withstand a bit more boost than a stock block
Old 06-04-2006, 05:32 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: valve seal job aborted

DSS or VT Engines. DSSracing.com or vtengines.com
Old 06-04-2006, 05:50 PM
Tac2cul
3rd Gear Member

i guess luck wasnt with you this day grasshopper

to bad to cause i would of liked to of seen the writeup
Old 06-04-2006, 06:20 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Are you sure it isn't something you did wrong when you tried to fill the cyl? If it was looking ok on a compression check before whats wrong now???
Old 06-04-2006, 06:34 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

no dudes something is fuggled up inside my engine. Sorry I coudln't get the writeup. What happened is I had air directly into the cylinder both valves closed at TDC and it goes Pssssssss (sounds like coming from INSIDE the engine) and the compressor kept cycling so I give up. I know how this job is supposed to go and it's assuming your engine hasn't been beat to hell. I got screwed I guess that's what i get for getting a 100K+ mile mustang... ::sigh::
Old 06-04-2006, 06:38 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: monkeydude3

no dudes something is fuggled up inside my engine. Sorry I coudln't get the writeup. What happened is I had air directly into the cylinder both valves closed at TDC and it goes Pssssssss (sounds like coming from INSIDE the engine) and the compressor kept cycling so I give up. I know how this job is supposed to go and it's assuming your engine hasn't been beat to hell. I got screwed I guess that's what i get for getting a 100K+ mile mustang... ::sigh::
If I were you and I was on a budget I would start looking around for a 4.6L PI engine.

I might be able to drum one up for you from a buillit car. The guy wants 2500 bucks for the entire car cause it was wrecked. I was thinking of buying it and getting the seats/upper intake and a few other things off it.

What I really wanted to do though was buy it, get the stuff, put my intake on the engine and sell the engine/computer/harness to someone who had a NPI car and wanted to do a swap. Interested?
Old 06-04-2006, 07:25 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

I know it's stupid to ask repeatedly, but are you SURE you had both valves at TDC??

If so, was your car really smoking THAT much??

JT
Old 06-04-2006, 07:36 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

2000GT4.6 I may be interested, let me know what you would want for it and if you would be in a hurry to unload it. I have a lot of other crap I gotta take care of

and yes I'm sure the valves were at TDC. as a matter of fact, on the cylinder I starteded on / attempted on the rocker arms were out! And see the valves stayed nice and shut with the compressed air, so I think my bottom end is fookled... and i just now realized my compression tester gauge has a one way valve in it so i probably THOUGHT the compression doesn't leak (SON OF A BI***)

it usually lets out good clouds on startup and that's about it. What gets me is the oil level goes down so fast
Old 06-04-2006, 07:38 PM
BBond007
2nd Gear Member

Monkeydude,

I was looking foward to your write-up as my mine is consuming a bit of oil too.

You should look at doing another compression check to see if anything has changed.

If so, perhaps do a wet test. Try and dump some oil down the cyl.

If you get good compression with the oil, then you'll know its the rings.

Otherwise you may have a bad valve or head gasket, and that may be a good excuse to do a PI head swap.

I was searching the net for used 4.6 engines, as well as new crate motors.

Mine is running strong still but I'd love a fresher engine eventually.

I found a few 2004 motors with 15K and under miles for $1600 - in my area even...

For me anyway, I have never pulled the heads on a OHC engine, but have swapped a few engines in my day, and I'd rather just deal with pulling the entire engine (if I had a garage, which I don't).

Don't get discouraged, you can get through this.

Why not just dump some oil down the cyl and try it again?

Old 06-04-2006, 07:40 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

because I work a lot. I'm gonna head out a bit (my g/f's family invited me to this dinner party)

I'm gonna wait and see how my pay stabilizes with the new job and decide what I want to do.

I want to keep the car and buy a $500 honda accord or saturn for a second vehicle.

and if i do get a newer engine i'm probably gonna pay to have it done as time is getting slim for me

How much do shops charge average for an engine swap? like same for same? assuming I bring them the engine

Quick Reply: valve seal job aborted