4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

which s/c route..

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 11:53 AM
hdawg06
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: which s/c route..

The KBs are really good at the 2.2L level, but the 1.7s arent that great. If you can get a 2.2L for your car, I would go with that in a heart beat. Otherwise, get a Vortech. They may not make as much low end torque, but they make up for it with their peak hp numbers.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:08 AM
dvs_03gt
4th Gear Member

00gt4.6; thanks for that input its helping me decide on these last decisions. maybe i should go with VT cams instead of the p51.. which cam set would you suggest? i know i should probably call VT but i wanted your opinions as well.

other than that my 03 is pretty much coming out a long the same lines of yours, except with a little more suspension upgrades and ive stuck with the 3650 tranny. if i go with cams and a centri.. i wouldnt have to upgrade my tranny or build the stock 4.6 i have now? what would you suggest?

my goal is really like 420+ max range hp on a stock end , no nos.
right now here is my current mods.

-jlt intake (fenderwell mount)
-mgw shortthrow
-3.73s (installed soon)
-superchips tuner
-bbk l/t headers
-magnaflow xpipe w/ cats
-ill purchase a accufab plenum+tb set if i s/c as well

Old 06-07-2006, 01:17 AM
mingrey01gt
2nd Gear Member

KB makes safe boost through the entire power band. I'm not saying you should not build up your internals, but you should be safe for longer then if you put a vortech on it as the KB will put less stress on the motor.

You also don't want to go with anything other then a 3.27, 3.55, or 3.73 gear. The TQ is pretty good on those blowers so 4.10's would be overkill IMO if you are racing the car.

the KB kit pretty much has it all. Yes it costs more, but you get everything you need to do it right the first time
Old 06-07-2006, 01:38 AM
dvs_03gt
4th Gear Member

thanks for your thoughts.. i have a question with for you.

do you think its better to just save money and go full bolt ons with some 4.10s and stay around the 320+ hp range on a n/a 4.6 motor. since its just a gt? or s/c and not forge anything. and the motor should be fine?
Old 06-07-2006, 01:44 AM
mingrey01gt
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dvs_03gt

thanks for your thoughts.. i have a question with for you.

do you think its better to just save money and go full bolt ons with some 4.10s and stay around the 320+ hp range on a n/a 4.6 motor. since its just a gt? or s/c and not forge anything. and the motor should be fine?
that's all fun..........but keep in mind, MOST of those bolt ons are gonna have to go if you get a blower.

Me....I'm staying NA because it's more demanding.

Pick your bolt ons based around things that may help you now, but can still use once you get blown.

That may limit what ou want to do, but at least youll spend the money on things you can use.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:46 AM
dvs_03gt
4th Gear Member

hence why you went with 4.10s?
Old 06-07-2006, 02:54 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mingrey01gt

KB makes safe boost through the entire power band. I'm not saying you should not build up your internals, but you should be safe for longer then if you put a vortech on it as the KB will put less stress on the motor.
You also don't want to go with anything other then a 3.27, 3.55, or 3.73 gear. The TQ is pretty good on those blowers so 4.10's would be overkill IMO if you are racing the car.

the KB kit pretty much has it all. Yes it costs more, but you get everything you need to do it right the first time
This is complete and utter BS. If anything the constant boost of a KB car will put more strain on the engine not less.

And there are plenty of kits out there that "have it all" with a centrifgual kit. I think my kit from MPH is more than enough proof of that.

A stock shortblock GT will be FINE on 400-420 WHP (with the supporting mods, and no more than about 10 PSI), as long as the TUNE is good, regardless of blower type. its ALL In the tune. You either get a good tune and never have problems, or you get a bad tune and blow the motor. This is the NUMBER ONE reason I went with MPH, their blower tunes are second to none.

Also, the only boltons that will "have to go" on a blower car is either the CAI setup on a centri or the plenum and possibly throttle body on a KB car.

On the cams question, I would definatly look into either the stage 2 blower cams from VT or getting a custom grind by VT thru a place like MPH. The real question is do you ever plan on getting a bottom end for the car. If you do, and you plan on doing it soon it might be wise to get a custom grind for more boost and live with a little less horsepower now. If not, or if its gonna be a long way down the road, a stage 2 blower or custom grind will serve you well until you pull the motor.

Also, your stock tranny should be fine for quite some time. I know that MDvaldosta ran a stock 3650 for quite some time, and was making numerous 11.4x runs with full slicks on the stock trans. The guy seemed to be addicted to the strip, so he obviously beat on it alot. He also claimed to beat on it on the street at least once a week. Obviously if you are hell bent on destroying it its only a matter of time, but that can be said about almost anything.

EDIT: I probably sound like a jackass, but the number one thing that pisses me off about this forum, and 4.6 in particular, is people that have not experenced what they are talking about, and frankly are giving out what must be fourth person total BS information.

You are giving advice to someone on a forum that very well may end up spending THOUSANDS of dollars because of said advice. I know that this forum has personally cost me close to 2k in mods (at least) that I should not have done, all because I got bad advice. It may suprise you that someone would order/install parts based on what was said on a forum, but many people (including myself) started on this forum with very little knowledge about the 2v cars in particular, and live in areas where it is not as easy as picking up the phone and calling a local shop. In my own personal case, there is ONE mustang shop that knows diddly about the 2v cars within about 6-8 hours of highway driving, and they only really got going about 6 months ago.

THINK before you post. If you do not have personal experence or ROCK SOILD knowledge about something, espically something as expensive as a blower/cam install, do NOT open your mouth. I am not ragging on anyone in particular but ranting on the day to day bull**** that goes on in this (4.6) forum. I have seen some advice so bad that it almost takes my breath away it pisses me off so bad.