4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

tell tale signs of a pullied cobra?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 12:03 PM
Monch
3rd Gear Member

Default tell tale signs of a pullied cobra?

i have an interesting offer before me, an 04 cobra with 28k miles for $24k. its at a dealership and i've been unable to drive it because it needs to be reconditioned, needing new tires and wipers. on the back it has some fairly run down et streets, as far as other mods a bassani catback, some sort of short throw shifter are the most obvious. sounds mean. its orange! but my question to you guys is this: is there any way to tell if its been pullied? anyway to plug something into the computer to see if the tune has been altered/reset? i pretty much think theres no way to tell and i'm assuming it has because why the hell wouldn't you if you were going to the track. even with the relatively low miles i'm leary of purchasing a car that has seen some serious track use. the lack of wipers (there are some caps installed in their place) makes me nervous. why would you need to get rid of the wipers unless you were really moving?
Old 06-05-2006, 12:11 PM
Miliock
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: tell tale signs of a pullied cobra?

ORIGINAL: Monch

i have an interesting offer before me, an 04 cobra with 28k miles for $24k. its at a dealership and i've been unable to drive it because it needs to be reconditioned, needing new tires and wipers. on the back it has some fairly run down et streets, as far as other mods a bassani catback, some sort of short throw shifter are the most obvious. sounds mean. its orange! but my question to you guys is this: is there any way to tell if its been pullied? anyway to plug something into the computer to see if the tune has been altered/reset? i pretty much think theres no way to tell and i'm assuming it has because why the hell wouldn't you if you were going to the track. even with the relatively low miles i'm leary of purchasing a car that has seen some serious track use. the lack of wipers (there are some caps installed in their place) makes me nervous. why would you need to get rid of the wipers unless you were really moving?

they remove the wipers for looks which prob means the car never saw bad weather. The ET streets don't ness mean it was beaten at the track...with the wheel hop on those cars ALOT of people run drag radials on those cars..even stock. I say for 24k (negotiated a little) who cares if it's been pullied? You're gonna pulley it anyway
Old 06-05-2006, 12:22 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

can you see the pulley, get the size of the pulley, and see if the back of the pulley has any sratch marks on it, if it has scratch marks it might have been pullied.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:33 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Take it for a ride and see what it makes for boost. It's really easy to tell. If you peg the boost gauge, it's been pulleyed.

You can just measure the blower pulley (as this is usually the pulley people replace first).

Almost every Cobra has been run hard at some point or another, so has every used GT on the market, what's the diff? The Cobra can take it better, that's all.

Look at the screws for the pulley cover, if they are rounded or scuffed at all, it's probably had a shorter pulley on it at some point. If you can get the pulley cover taken off, Pop the little black cover off the supercharger snout and look for silver/copper anti-seize. All the pulley pullers suggest you use anti-seize on a part you screw into the snout to pop the pulley off and back on.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:37 PM
Monch
3rd Gear Member

thanks for the suggestions, hopefully i'll be able to drive it in the next day or so.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:41 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

$24,000>$37,950
hmmm I'd buy it...the guy prob bought a vet + you will be a new member of svtoa think of the benefits
Old 06-05-2006, 07:53 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

that seems to be a good price
Old 06-05-2006, 07:57 PM
Monch
3rd Gear Member

yeah if it comes through i think its a no brainer. a good friend works at the dealership, supposedly a no-comission sale. unfortunatley there is another buyer interested as well, also a friend of an individual working at the dealership so its a race to fork over cash!

i think the guy who orginally owned the cobra traded it in on a pontiac g6. wow. for all i know they could be beasts, but they don't look it.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:24 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

tell tale signs of a pullied cobra include very loud whining sounds coming from the engine bay and even louder whining sounds coming from every LS1 owner in sight