4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

A few Parts Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 05:23 AM
agr3ss1on

Default A few Parts Questions

So i'm trading in my old car (turboed E36 M3) and getting a 2001 GT coupe, and had a few parts questions. i guess for simplicity i'll just list the part, and the optinos and yall can give me your opinions

exhaust:

cat backs... magnaflow or flowmasters? Whats the difference in performance? what about sound?

Mid pipes: off road Xpipe or h-pipe? whats the difference in performance and sound?

headers.... long tube or short tube?

wheels and tires..... i plan on going with a supercharger in the near future, so how wide should i go in the front and rears?

Supercharger...... i'll be looking at a NOVI 2000 supercharger... anyone have any better ideas?

what should I do as far as engine management? I know in my bimmer, getting the right chip was hugely important, but as far as mustangs are concerned, i have no idea.

oh yeah, almost forgot.

cams. what about cams? either comp custom billet cams or VT custom billet cams... which one should i go with?

I'm look at dropping 5k into this car as soon as i get it.... anything else i should get?
Old 06-06-2006, 09:02 AM
DarkShadowGT03
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: A few Parts Questions

You're getting rid of a turboed M3? Are there any problems with it because that must be one bad ride

Magnaflow and Flowmasters are both pretty quiet...Magnaflow will probably get you a little more hp but it won't be recognizable...Midpipe is mostly a matter of personal preference...An offroad pipe would make either of those catbacks very loud...Some like the X since it has more of an exotic, european sound, while the H is very deep and will make your car sound more like a muscle car. An X will typically yield more hp than an H but again, you should base these two components on sound alone since the difference in horsepower is not much at all. Long tube headers will make much more power than shorties but cost more. For the wheels and tires you can go as wide as a 315 in the back with a 10.5 inch wheel but it's up to you. I have 275's all around and it looks great, although a bit more meat on the back would look mean. On the front you should go no bigger than 275 or 9 inches on the wheels. For traction purposes I'd recommend getting 17 inch rims since you're looking to go with a supercharger in the future...The Novi 2000 is a damn good blower as far as I've heard and can make a ton of boost...You'd need to build up your bottom end to see the full benefits of that SC, or any SC for that matter...Getting a dyno tune would be the best thing for engine management...Cams...Stay with stage 1 cams as long as you have a stock bottom end and you can't go wrong with either brand listed there. For $5000 you won't be able to put on full exhaust, a supercharger and cams...and new wheels and tires will take you over $1200 alone, more if you want good tires...look into drag radials if you are set on purchasing a blower... You're heading in the right direction, good luck...hope this helps.