4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Cats v.s no cats

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 01:18 AM
96mustanggt46
2nd Gear Member

Default Cats v.s no cats

How much better (performance wise) is an off road x pipe vs a catted x pipe? I am thinking about getting a BBK off road x pipe and if its going to make more horse i will dill with the swaping when it comes emissions time. And what about sound will it be real loud with no cats... Thank you for your time
Old 04-20-2004, 02:32 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Cats v.s no cats

first its against the law to remove them and if you're caught you will have to pay a $20,000 fine if Im not mistaken on the amount. I would just leave them there if I were you. It will give you a little more push but not $20,000 worth.
Old 04-20-2004, 02:35 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

<CORRECTION> It give you a little more push IF you dont have them on
Old 04-20-2004, 05:10 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jdaniel

first its against the law to remove them and if you're caught you will have to pay a $20,000 fine if Im not mistaken on the amount. I would just leave them there if I were you. It will give you a little more push but not $20,000 worth.
Exactly where did you come up with this number? And how the hell are you going to get caught? And how are you advising him to get a catted x when you have a catless one???

Unless you live in a state that requires a sniffer test (aka acutally checks the exaust gases) you are fairly safe. All you have to do is take the stock cats, knock out the insides of them, and peel the shell apart. Then weld them around your new catless x. For all apperances it seems you still have the cats on, and with no check engine light I cant think of a inspection place that is going to look that closely. Do you know what happens (at least in my state) if you take a car to an inspection without cats? They dont give you the sticker..... thats it. They just tell you you need to get it fixed.

Performance wise, I truly have no idea about specific HP numbers, although im 100 percent sure a catless has less backpressure than a catted X. Soundwise, as long as you stick with baffled mufflers it isnt insanely loud. With my BBK headers and BBK X its mild untill you mash the gas. At that point it gets pretty loud.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:41 AM
Moosetang
3rd Gear Member

Go with the offroad X.
Old 04-20-2004, 01:42 PM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

most states do have emissions....im lucky that VA is so environmentally unfriendly...but if you do have emssions, take the test, then put the off road pipe on...cats suck
Old 04-20-2004, 02:44 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

The part of Texas I am from (or stationed may I say) the cops really look down on a car that "sounds good" I.E a car with a straight exhaust, simply because there are so many ricers here that like to race on the street and ruin it for the guys with real cars! If they pull you over they can break out the sniffer and a decibal meter and wax your ***. You can call any muffler store in the U.S. and they will tell you the state fine for removing the cats and the penility for not having them! Just take a look into it before you start believing the "know it alls" on this post that has no idea what the laws are for your state of origin.
Old 04-20-2004, 02:57 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

<UPDATE> Just to let you guys know, I was wrong about the fines for not having Cats. I just called my muffler shop and they told me I was $30,000 dollars of the mark! So that would make the fine $50,000 dollars for removing them! So 2000GT4.6, why dont you call around and look into it before giving avdvice that can get a lot of people in trouble! Thanks a lot.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:11 PM
RollinThunder
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jdaniel

<UPDATE> Just to let you guys know, I was wrong about the fines for not having Cats. I just called my muffler shop and they told me I was $30,000 dollars of the mark! So that would make the fine $50,000 dollars for removing them! So 2000GT4.6, why dont you call around and look into it before giving avdvice that can get a lot of people in trouble! Thanks a lot.
**** r u kiddin me 50k?...I hope I dont get caught lolol
Old 04-20-2004, 04:31 PM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

50K??? sounds a little unbelievable...but who knows...again glad to be in va...if your exhaust is loud, regardless if you have cats or not, you get a $30 ticket and go on your way

Quick Reply: Cats v.s no cats