4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Brand New Factory Seats?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 06:15 PM
d3mon
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Brand New Factory Seats?

ORIGINAL: maliszewski

ORIGINAL: d3mon

if is just the leather look in www.katzkin.com theyhave leather for mustangs and they have good prices my friend got some 04 cobra look alike for like $400 for all the seats
Did he do the installation himself or go to an upholstery shop? Because I don't think I would do a very good job installing the leather seat covers. <grin>

-Mark

he did it by himself, his dad an i helped though, it didnt look that dificult but if you are noot sure pay for it
Old 06-08-2006, 07:00 PM
maliszewski

How did it come out? Did it look like a new seat?

I just called an Upholstery shop and asked how much for both front seats to be done and they quoted me $700 for each seat, which is $1400 dollars total. This included all parts (leather included) and labor. I was like, "Holy crap". Better to just find a mint condition seat on Ebay.

-Mark

Old 06-09-2006, 01:04 AM
JonBeast

ORIGINAL: maliszewski

How did it come out? Did it look like a new seat?

I just called an Upholstery shop and asked how much for both front seats to be done and they quoted me $700 for each seat, which is $1400 dollars total. This included all parts (leather included) and labor. I was like, "Holy crap". Better to just find a mint condition seat on Ebay.

-Mark

Upolstery shops charge out the *** for everything, just get some skins and do it yourself, thats what I am going to do.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:14 AM
NORTON98
2nd Gear Member

Did that include putting new padding... i heard putting new padding can be a lot more expensive because there is a lot more sewing involved.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:58 AM
maliszewski

ORIGINAL: NORTON98

Did that include putting new padding... i heard putting new padding can be a lot more expensive because there is a lot more sewing involved.
Well I think it did, because he said that starting in 2000 or 2001 the leather was glued to the foam. So the foam would need to be replaced if you are redoing later year mustang leather. He said that I would need to bring in the car to be sure though. You are correct however, the foam does cost about as much as the leather cover itself.

Jon,

At those prices I am thinking more and more about doing it myself. No way am I paying 1400 dollars, but I do want it to look professional and not some crappy job. I guess I'll just have to take my time on them and get the leather right. If you redo your seats, let me know how it goes.

-Mark
Old 06-09-2006, 02:36 AM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

umm the 1400$ quote was for them to make the covers from scratch i imagine, so if you provide them with covers it will be cheaper labor wise, i dont see the labor being more than 4 hours for already made covers. im pretty undecided for what im gonna do with mine, if i can pick up a set of used mach 1 seats for a decent price, thatd would be alot easier than recovering mine.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:45 AM
JonBeast

ORIGINAL: mustang_montana

umm the 1400$ quote was for them to make the covers from scratch i imagine, so if you provide them with covers it will be cheaper labor wise, i dont see the labor being more than 4 hours for already made covers. im pretty undecided for what im gonna do with mine, if i can pick up a set of used mach 1 seats for a decent price, thatd would be alot easier than recovering mine.
An upolstery shop told me 700? for purchased and installed seat covers.