4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Traction Control...on or off?

Old 06-08-2006, 03:00 AM
DSTANG03
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Traction Control...on or off?

if u dont have the button your track is alwayz on unless u us a programmer to turn it off!!
Old 06-08-2006, 03:35 AM
bullittproof01
3rd Gear Member

when you hit the t/c button off, it disables traction control. t/c occurs when the tires start spinning due to too much power at the wheels at a given time. if the tires are spinning, and t/c is on and working, the engine starts shutting down cylinders, one by one untill traction is once again accomplished. if you turn it off, your wheels will spin untill you let off the gas. thats why if your racing, and you want to launch, you better turn the t/c off. otherwise, your cylinders will start turning off on you, and your take off will be a tad bit slower then it should be.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:13 AM
hdawg06
2nd Gear Member

You could always rig a window switch up to be used for T/C.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:29 AM
FDNYBullitt
2nd Gear Member

What year is the car, the later ones don't have the option of turning it off but yes you can do it with your tuner. As far as I know it cuts the fuel, not the spark, working the same as the rev limiter. If your making good HP just be careful when you launch as you could get to the limiter REAL fast if the tires spin or get the car sideways which neither one is fun to do, good luck.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:41 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Well this is news to me that there are Stangs out there that have T/C but no off button??!???!

Mine's an '02 & it has T/C and an off button. What year Stangs have T/C but no OFF button?? I don't think any year V6 has T/C correct?

Old 06-08-2006, 10:33 AM
70 MACH I
3rd Gear Member

Mine's an '04, and has the off switch next to the fog lights. Didn't all GT's come standard with ABS and traction control? In order to have one, you must have the other. I wonder if the '04 mentioned has ABS, it may not have traction control at all. Does the '05+ have a trac control button?

John
Old 06-08-2006, 07:24 PM
mikeyV

dang, lots of people here who think they know what they're talking about....

1) if you dont have a traction control "off" button, you dont have TC. FACT!
2) some years (I think 03-04) TC was an extra cost option. not all GTs have TC. I think the "premuim package" get's you TC
3) It says right in the owners manual that TC uses a combination of spark, timing, and brakes (using the ABS) to control wheel spin.

I dont know about u guys, but If I drop 16K on a GT, I read the fricken instruction manual. lol

You'd read it if you got a new coffee maker right?

[:@]
Old 06-08-2006, 07:30 PM
2VNA
4th Gear Member

I am working on a plate to move my shift handle back closer to where I sit right now and I have the wireing for the TC but no switch. It may be an option where they just add a button. but I think all of them have it or Y would they do the wireing.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:34 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mikeyV

dang, lots of people here who think they know what they're talking about....

1) if you dont have a traction control "off" button, you dont have TC. FACT!
2) some years (I think 03-04) TC was an extra cost option. not all GTs have TC. I think the "premuim package" get's you TC
3) It says right in the owners manual that TC uses a combination of spark, timing, and brakes (using the ABS) to control wheel spin.

I dont know about u guys, but If I drop 16K on a GT, I read the fricken instruction manual. lol

You'd read it if you got a new coffee maker right?

[:@]
FINALLY someone who knows what they're talking about in this thread. I think I've posted the exact same information in EVERY traction control question thread. The traction control comes on your stang if you have ABS. If you don't have ABS, you don't have traction control, PEROID. The system uses the rear ABS sensors to detect the wheelspin.

It wasn't part of the premium package, just linked to the ABS. No ABS, no traction control, no traction control button. You can not have traction control and not have a button to toggle it off. If you've got a button, you've got traction control.

The only thing I'd change to the above post, spark and timing are the same thing .

It does not cut the fuel, that makes a dangerously lean situation, and the Ford engineers are smart enough to not design a system that damages engines and will result in MANY being replaced under warranty to stupid design.

If you want to know more about the traction control, SEARCH. I've posted the same information too many times.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:35 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2VNA

I am working on a plate to move my shift handle back closer to where I sit right now and I have the wireing for the TC but no switch. It may be an option where they just add a button. but I think all of them have it or Y would they do the wireing.
The wiring in stangs is chaotic. I changed instrument clusters and now when I push the rear defroster button it blows the fuse to my A/C clutch

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Traction Control...on or off?