MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   stupid exhaust leak (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/137062-stupid-exhaust-leak.html)

monkeydude3 06-08-2006 02:10 AM

stupid exhaust leak

I have what could best be described as the faint sound of a lawn mower DIRECTLY under my feet under acceleration... I have a feeling this is the driver's side H pipe connection. It was quiet when I first bolted the trans/exhaust back in but I think it settled. Just goin under there and crankin down tight the two nuts for the manifold/H pipe connection should cure it right? The pass. side is fine the one with the gasket, I already had to crank that one down because it settled

George

rbstang 06-08-2006 02:12 AM

RE: stupid exhaust leak

stock h?

monkeydude3 06-08-2006 02:13 AM

unfortunately.... GRRR... it was quiet when I put it all together, just got 'louder' in the past few days. I think the two exhaust stud nuts just settled a bit

monkeydude3 06-08-2006 02:34 AM

it can't really hurt anything having a minor leak can it? I hope tomorrow morn i have enough time to fiddle with it

hdawg06 06-08-2006 05:15 AM

If you have headers on it, you may have worn out the paper like gaskets. I hear of quite a few people with this problem. To remedy it, just get copper or aluminum gaskets which won't melt/shrivel with the heat.

1BAD3V 06-08-2006 07:18 AM

Sounds like your car is doing what mine is doing. Sounding like a lawn mower at WOT. I have an o/r h pipe from MAC and 1 chambered Flows. When I'm in park and rev, it sounds good, but when I punch it, it is high pitched like a lawn mower. Since I've had it on, probably a few thousand miles now, I havent went back under to tighten anything, could this be the problem?

70 MACH I 06-08-2006 10:18 AM

Monkey,
I found out one thing about the exhaust setup, cuz FORD put a new H on my car awhile back and F#$%ED it up leaving me a leak. Always tighten the gasket side FIRST, (this lines it up properly) then the ball coupler, because it self-aligns. Unless it is real loose the ball side shoud be quiet.

John

monkeydude3 06-08-2006 12:02 PM

well dudes I went under there this morning and on the drivers side, one nut for the flange was still tight but the other one took another 3/4 turn.... sooooo exhaust = sounds proper now. Still a stock H but it doesn't sound like arse

robs400 06-08-2006 04:45 PM

I've got the same noise coming from under my car....I replaced the gasket between my manifold and the x pipe on the passenger side and it still sounds like it leaks, even after trying to retighten everything. Its hard to really rip on the buts and compress the seal because a swivel socket is needed and it feels like I'm gonna snap the studs off if I tighten any more....grrr.