4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Stang is SICK! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 05:16 PM
plaroyce

Default Stang is SICK! HELP!

I had about a 1/4 tank of gas (87 octane).... was going to get gas so I thought I'd added some octane booster. The booster said to use with premium fule only. In goes the octane booster (Nitro Power or something not sure).... now comes the premium gas. I get into the Stang pretty good all is well.... then and the next stop I nail it in 1st and when I shifted to 2nd the car boggs down... but does get going again... WHAT THE HECK! I thought maybe it was the mixture of gas not all being premium. Well I finally got through that tank of gas and filled up again. Car is still not performing. I replaced the fule filter... no change. I'm gonna try replacing the plugs next, but wanted to ask around before I go broke trying to resolve this problem. Any suggestions?

Old 06-12-2006, 05:22 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Stang is SICK! HELP!

ORIGINAL: plaroyce

I had about a 1/4 tank of gas (87 octane).... was going to get gas so I thought I'd added some octane booster. The booster said to use with premium fule only. In goes the octane booster (Nitro Power or something not sure).... now comes the premium gas. I get into the Stang pretty good all is well.... then and the next stop I nail it in 1st and when I shifted to 2nd the car boggs down... but does get going again... WHAT THE HECK! I thought maybe it was the mixture of gas not all being premium. Well I finally got through that tank of gas and filled up again. Car is still not performing. I replaced the fule filter... no change. I'm gonna try replacing the plugs next, but wanted to ask around before I go broke trying to resolve this problem. Any suggestions?

Gas and octane booster wouldnt really have that much an effect. What Im thinkin happend is that when you put in the octane booster it raised your cylinder temps and burned the carbon buildup off of your pistons. Therefore lowering your compression ratio which would result in less power. Other than that check your fuel pressure at the fuel rail. When was the last time your car had a tuneup?(with wires if it has em). Is the check engine light on?
-P.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:28 PM
plaroyce

haven't had a tune in a while, no wires.... I was looking for spark plug wires, and this car does not have 'em.... the check engine light is not on.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:37 PM
plaroyce

I know this is going to sound stupid, but where is the traction control button. I've read somewhere that this could cause a problem... maybe I accidently turned it on. Nothing lights up telling me its on.....
Old 06-12-2006, 05:43 PM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

What kinda stang you got? Because it could be the premium fuel itself. If you run High Octane on say a stock 03 stang, it really wont improve any, infact I hear in some cases, is bad for the beast.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:53 PM
krm486
3rd Gear Member

I am having the same problem right now. But i did not add anything to the fuel. [>:]
Old 06-12-2006, 05:54 PM
2VNA
4th Gear Member

Your righ you don't have wires you have what are called COP's (coil over pacs) the are located under the fule rail on each side of the engen, you will see 4 black boxes between your injectors under the fuel rail on each side. remove the retainer bolt and pull them up, the plugs are under them. I use autolite 764 becaues everytime I go to get the NGK they don't have them.

good luck.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:54 PM
djdalfaro
2nd Gear Member

My best guess is its the TCS... if you've got it, turn it off everytime you start your car, or get a tuner, and turn it off permenantly
Old 06-12-2006, 06:23 PM
plaroyce

Man I really hate to sound like a dumb A$$, but where is the traction control button\switch. Its a 2000 GT. This is killing me. Everything was fine..... 1st gear.... nice.... 2nd gear... nice.... not anymore. I go to 2nd and it boggs down but then picks back up.

[IMG]local://upfiles/39584/ECFA6AD331B64E93B674AF30A06DB775.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-13-2006, 01:18 AM
98slvrGT

Man I swear if you put the premium in the tank it makes the car run like ****. I ran it once and it sucks. I currently have a crappy tank of gas and your car seriously feels so slow. Then you fill up again at another gas station and your like DAM

Quick Reply: Stang is SICK! HELP!