4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Vortech vs. Procharger

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 08:34 PM
Mt Twigbert
4th Gear Member

Default Vortech vs. Procharger

I got the final ok from the wife today.. Were going to sell her on the black market to get the money I need for my super charger..

I spent a good portion of the day calling install shops and getting quotes.. Both seem to be right at $6,000... Thats for a charger that is 8lbs +, intercooler, fuel injectors, fuel pump, a tune and the full install.. Some minor mods that might be added into the price are guages and MAS..

I was told that both will give me give me 470+ WHP.. Thus, they will tone my tune down a tad to get me at about 430ish WHP seeing I have a stock bottom end..

So my question to you guys is................. Vortech or Procharger..........?

From research it appears that each has its advantages..
-Procharger is louder than the Vortech..
-Procharger is a self contained unit where as the Vortech is not..
-**I was told** the Procharger has the MAS after the charger unit and harder to tune where as the Vortech has the MAS in front of the charger..
-**I was told** the Vortech has a air to air intercooler where the Procharger has a water to air intercooler..

It other words I don't know which one I should go with.. I think I like the idea of the Procharger being louder at idle but should I be basing my decision on that? Probably not..

P.S. I trust the Vortech installer alot more.. I've had work done by him in the past and he swares by Vortech, and hes a dealer.. The Procharger installer seemed, well, ok over the phone.. The Vortech installer will dyno the car to get the proper tune.. The Procharger installer said they street tune the car for more every day driving conditions.. In other words, he doesn't have a dyno..
Old 06-12-2006, 08:38 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Vortech vs. Procharger

Vortech ~ Procharger<kenne belle FTW!!!!!
Old 06-12-2006, 08:43 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Actually the vortech normally uses the air-water aftercooler and the procharger uses the air-air intercooler
Old 06-12-2006, 08:43 PM
angcobra
4th Gear Member

For comparison you might want to also check out the Paxton NOVI.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:44 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Couple of things.

You won't see 470 WHP on 8 PSI, even intercooled. To make 440~ WHP (the upper safe limit) most people end up running 10 PSI and a intercooler. I have some doubts as to the accuracy of their dynos as well. MOST people I have seen, even with a intercooler and 10 PSI, are only making somewhere in the 400 WHP range. I am making 415~ non intercooled with 10 PSI and stage 2 camshafts for reference.

The procharger is self contained, but this being an advantage/disadvantage is up to you. I like the idea of changing my blower oil every time I change my engine oil. Others like to have a seperate oil supply for the blower.

Prochargers use a "blow thru" setup that places the MAF after the blower. Vortech uses a suck thru setup that pulls the air thru the MAF and into the blower. The vortech is easier to tune.

The procharger has a Air to air intercooler, where vortech uses a air to water aftercooler. The vortech unit is ALOT more expensive. On this note, you can use a paxton Air to air on a vortech kit with no problems, and they are far cheaper than the vortech aftercooler setup.

6000 installed with a intercooler is not a bad price on the vortech kit. I dunno about the procharger kit, cause I thought they all came with intercoolers and were usually priced around 4000 bucks for the kit. The vortech kit will run you around 4000 for the extras and the blower, and 1400 for the paxton intercooler or like 1600-1800+ for the vortech aftercooler.

I went with vortech because MPH doesn't sell anything but vortech and paxton, it was the cheaper kit between those two, and I really have heard nothing but good things about vortech so far as customer service and the realibity of their superchargers.

Vortech FTW
Old 06-12-2006, 08:44 PM
Triisomy21
4th Gear Member

Since you're having someone install it for you. I would go with the vortech. You said yourself he seems more knowledgable and trustworthy. The fact that the procharger is self contained may or may not be a good thing. After a few hour or so of spirited driving especially in the upcoming summer months, I personally would rather have oil from my oil pan rather than the oil already in the supercharger.

As far as the intercooler goes, we have a guy on here making roughly 415hp on a non intercooled set up. The choice is yours but I'd go with vortech.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:45 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blueherd02gt

tell that to the guy at the last car show running a KB 1.7L making 360~ WHP. He paid more for his blower and install tune than I did for my blower/cams/tune/exhaust
Old 06-12-2006, 08:48 PM
stang2000
5th Gear Member

I have the Procharger P-1SC. I have a 2-core air-air intercooler. I recommend PC all the way. Unless you like it quieter and tapping into the oil pan. Vortech and PC were the last 2 I was debating on last year and went with PC. Their tech line was very open about what I didn't need for my specific setup. I got no infor from Vtech at all. It's like they didn't care.

You're money, do plenty of research. Me, I love just hooking it up and going without oil pan tapping and I love the whine.

Mine with 8psi, 2-core intercooler, MAF, Fuel Injectors and SCT Tuner and DynoTune came to $4767.99. I know the exact price, because I have all my receipts. I did the install myself. Took me about 6 hrs.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:50 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

this guy has a 99 cobra there 2000GT4.6
ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

tell that to the guy at the last car show running a KB 1.7L making 360~ WHP. He paid more for his blower and install tune than I did for my blower/cams/tune/exhaust
Old 06-12-2006, 08:55 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

this guy has a 99 cobra there 2000GT4.6
ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

tell that
to the guy at the last car show running a KB 1.7L making 360~ WHP. He paid more for his blower and install tune than I did for my blower/cams/tune/exhaust
Same difference. You are going to pay buttloads more cash for the same or lower level of performance with the twin screw.

The entire point is I was able to do all of these other mods while he is running around in a 360~ WHP blown mustang with a K&N filter, midpipe, and catback, while spending the same amount of money basically as I did.

The thing that always strikes me as so funny is that 99.99 percent of hte people that recommend KB don't have a KB

Quick Reply: Vortech vs. Procharger