4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

04 GT mods

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 12:19 PM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

Default 04 GT mods

Hey everyone... I'm brand new here and I've been reading some of the postings on here and I was impressed with the knowledge that many have given others. I'm in need of some help too. I've been wanting to get some modifications for my mustang for a little while now but money has been my biggest issue. I finally got a job now that I can afford to get some things now in the next coming months. I have a black 04 GT that is all stock except with some decals on it. Heres some of my questions...

I'm considering changing my hood to a Mach 1 hood and get the shaker scoop with it. I've always liked that look but would a Mach 1 hood fit on a regular GT?

If I was to get the mod from above... could I still go with a supercharger in the future? If so, what would anyone recommend on that?

I would like to eventually change my automatic[:'(] to either a 5 or 6 speed transmission... im leaning more toward the 6-speed tho. I know this is broad, but what all do I need to consider if I'm considering this modification?

I will post some pics of my car eventually, but I will appreciate it alot if anyone has some advice for me... thanks.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:39 PM
hack_239
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 04 GT mods

Welcome to the club.

As far as recommendations, first remove the air silencer (free) or replace with a CAI. Then I would have to say cat-back exhaust, (or full exhaust if your wallet allows), followed closely by completing the intake by replacing the TB/plenum. I think a change from an auto to a manual would be more trouble than it's worth. Just put a shift kit on the auto and it will out perform the manual. Not as fun, but still out perform.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:54 PM
disgustipated
2nd Gear Member

...and gears.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:11 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Swapping from an auto to a 5 or 6 speed will take a decent amount of work. Anyone familiar with such a swap...it won't be such a big deal. But for you or an inexperienced mechanic doing the swap, you will get hammered with labor. It might be easier to acquire another manual 04 GT depending on your financial situation with your current car..

While the Mach 1 hood looks great, it won't have any noticable performance increase for you at all. It will be all visual...

For a NA 2v, rear end gears are the best place to start. Sine your automatic eats a little more HP than a manual *edit* and is geared for gas mileage more than performance, 4.10's are pretty much a MUST if you want your money's worth out of a gear swap. 5 speed's can get away with 3.73's and be happy, but they are leaving so much gear on the table to be used, which doesn't make much sense to me; but some NA people just prefer to do things differently.

Consider 4.30's if you are willing to compensate with sticky tires. A torque converter will also make a GREAT difference coupled with the 4.10's or even 4.30's.

You have 4 cats on your car, 2 'pre' cats and 2 regular cats. This is a HUGE restriction in your exhaust. Take into consideration your budget & your future plans for the car. Do you plan on staying with stock manifolds or do you plan on LT's? I believe SLP makes a mid-pipe that can work on stock manifolds & long tube headers, but you will really pay for it.

Plan carefully so you don't throw away money. Follow some of the idea's the members here toss at you and you could have yourself a quick car for a summer's worth of hard work!
Old 06-16-2006, 03:36 PM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

I know that the Mach 1 hood is mostly for style, but that will probably be what I'm gonna work on first. Front, hood, rear bumper, etc. I gotta start with that and work my way into the performance mods and so it gives me more time to research and get all the advice I can before I make a big performance purchase.

I would like to get another throttle body, but I haven't looked at those much yet. As for the exhaust, I have been looking at the Steeda Stainless Steel for the 4.6 GT. Anyone know if thats worth it? If not, what would you recommend? I'm not exactly sure other than that would be good for my exhaust system (I guess I'm not as car savy as some are) so if I do start some of this, I'll probably have it done at a shop where I know some guys there personally. I still would like to get the manual installed cuz I just don't think its a real muscle car until I get that in there. I'm in between about the gear selection, either a 3.73 or a 4.10... I've heard the good and bad of both. I do drive on the highways some, so I still need to keep some gas mileage but I still want some to play with.

So, throttle body, exhaust, gears, transmission... is that a good start for now? Later on, I wanna get a supercharger hopefully. One last question to that.... is there a big difference between a Supercharger and a Procharger? Thanks.
Old 06-16-2006, 04:04 PM
Triisomy21
4th Gear Member

I'd start with gears or exhaust. Exhaust just makes the car sound a hell of a lot better. If you plan on getting supercharged later, dont waste your money on an intake. I did and I have to say I regret it.

Btw, procharger is a brand of supercharger. Enjoy. It really doesn't matter where you start, because it's all downhill from here (money wise that is)

Enjoy!
Old 06-16-2006, 05:20 PM
01BlueCobraVert
2nd Gear Member

Look at the stickies @ the top of the 4.6l forum. Great info about mods and HP #'s
Old 06-16-2006, 05:23 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

If you are serious about swapping to a stick car, it may be best just to say screw it now (with the car stock) and trade it off for a 5spd.

If you keep the car, you should try a converter/shift kit and gear install. I think this would make you think about keeping your automatic, as it will perform so much better than it does now.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:41 PM
03StangerGT
2nd Gear Member

For exhaust, I love my SLP loudmouth II's. They sounds great, not too loud but a nice deep rumble. Its a real head turned and I only have the catbacks, Throw in an o/r H-pipe and now were talkin. SLP all the way.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:49 PM
2VNA
4th Gear Member

Welcome,

I have a MAC CAI from the MAF to the fender wall and the filter, you can have it for $15.00 and shipping. It is used but in good shape.

Gears would do wonders for the car.

don't get bit by the mod bug.

Quick Reply: 04 GT mods